PDA

View Full Version : Removable bar solution?

Damn True
09-17-2005, 03:13 PM
From what I have been told removable bars (particularly door bars and to a lesser extent harness bars) are a supremely bad idea when using the traditional clevis pin arrangement.

I ran into a number of local SCCA racers (Nor-Cal) who have had cages fabriacted at TC Design Fab in San Jose. They have a slightly different way of tackling this problem for removable bars.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

This is the gizmo they employ. It is two pieces of billet 1/2 round welded into the tubes and joined by a couple of grade 8 hex head machine screws. I have seen this used on their cages for removable door bars and for removable harness bars.

Id like to get the input from some of you more experienced folks in regard to this. Apparently it passes tech. What do ya'all think?

Thanks,
True

Matt@RFR
09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Who puts the bolts back in when you're in the driver seat?

Nicely done, but it seems like this would be a lot more work than just hopping over the bar!

parsonsj
09-17-2005, 03:24 PM
You can pick up that setup from Eastwood. It looks well thought out to me.

jp

Damn True
09-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Who puts the bolts back in when you're in the driver seat?

Nicely done, but it seems like this would be a lot more work than just hopping over the bar (http://get-data.net/?go=bar)!

I think the intent is that you can install the door bars and harness bar for a track day or auto-x but have them removed during normal day-to-day driving for easier access to the front and rear seats.

Matt@RFR
09-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Gotcha. In that case, they seem decent.

CoryM
09-17-2005, 06:42 PM
I hope you chassis is really stiff for when you try and line up those bolts after driving the car for a couple months w/o the bars in ;) .
Buddys car has those, but with one larger bolt/nut instead and its hard enough getting those lined up again to install the bars.

nancejd
09-18-2005, 08:35 AM
To me the downside of the removable bar would be the little thing sticking out when the bar is out. Seems like it would hurt to get stuck with one of those in an accident.

Damn True
09-18-2005, 04:21 PM
To me the downside of the removable bar would be the little thing sticking out when the bar is out. Seems like it would hurt to get stuck with one of those in an accident.

A valid point, but I would think it would be largely out of harms way. There would be one of those gizmos way down low near where the A-pillar bar meets the floor, another on the main hoop behind the seat and a pair between the petty bar and the passenger side of the main hoop.

suh weet
09-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Here is what I am running.

quadfather
09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
chris alstons chassisworks makes a very nice billet clevis set-up that works well , and will come out easy, or swing out if you prefer.

pushrod243
09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Here is what I am running.

Mike - Do you have one on each end of the bar or does it swing out on the other end? Mine swings but sometimes its a pain in the a** for passengers. I have though about making them removable but not sure how it will look with posts left standing with no bar on them. My brother has a plan for actuators to release latch with the key but i doubt NHRA would go for that. But it would be cool