PDA

View Full Version : 2 Alternator questions.. Redundant power and Volt

LowBuckX
09-17-2005, 12:30 PM
My first question is
I just stepped up to a cs-130 Alt. (140Amp PowerMaster) It is a 3 wire set up not a 1 wire.

I want to know if having a redundant circuit coming from the Out terminal is OK. The way I have it now is I have the factory 10GA going from the back of alt to the starter and branched to the horn relay(IE stock) And I added a 4GA from back of Alt to the starter.
Is this Ok or should I eliminate stock wire?

Question 2. I have the BAtt in the trunk. I am seeing 14.4v at the back of Alt and 13.94 at the Batt. this is at idle.
It that an acceptable drop??

chicane67
09-17-2005, 02:36 PM
Thats a fair amount of voltage drop for that distance. What GA of wire is running from the batt to the starter ??

Redundant is no problem, but your new 4GA is just fine. I myself, with the batt relocated into the trunk, use 2/O from the batt to the starter thru a master disconnect. From there, I have a 4GA from the ALT to the starter, as you have done. With what I have just described, I have no drop in voltage what so ever.

I got the 2/O from the local welding store, its OFC finestrand 2/O welding cable and its incredably flexable..... because it is fine strand. Itr also has a great insulated jacket that will put with any abuse and/or chaffing. I think I paid about $1.65 a foot. The 10GA I got from my old box of tricks as was the 4GA, although they are also OFC finestrand as well. The disconnect is the 1000amp master from Hella, I got that from a local 4x4 shop and it was like $20.00.

LowBuckX
09-17-2005, 02:49 PM
I thought the drop was a bit much also. So i did some cleaning and shuffling and now i have 14.41 at Alt and 14.24 at batt.
I have 2ga from batt to starter. and 1GA for ground running up to the block. the ground is Carolprene which is fine strand welding ground like you are talking about. I think im good now.

camarosrlyf
09-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Check out www.madelectrical.com There is some great info on wiring systems.

Richiec77
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Looks good. Glad you paid attention to the Cleaning part. Resistance can be caused by stuff like this. Corrosion, and oxidation can increase the resistance. IF you can, solder the connection to keep it from happening again.

Are you doing this to support an Air Ride system? or are you looking into a bad-ass stereo set-up? If you have a stereo planned, look into BatCaps. Cost a bit more than a normal Capacitor, but function atleast 20X better.

LowBuckX
09-23-2005, 11:16 PM
I installed a Taurus fan and will be doing a SQ type sterio some day.