PDA

View Full Version : Building a custom powersteering/hydrobost reservoir, , any tip?

liquidh8
04-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Hello all. I am adding hydroboost to my turbo Buick g-body wagon. The factory GN steering reservoir has been long gone before I bought the car. And I am adding hydroboost, with a steering cooler, to the car. All new Teflon SS lines and ss fittings.

I am looking to build a steering fluid reservoir for it, with 3 AN bungs for the -6 steering and HB returns, and the -10 feed. I know/read that it needs baffling of some sort. Can anyone shed some light on how I should make the baffle? The reservoir with be a rectangle, and made of aluminum.

I have more aluminum, fittings, and time to build one.

Thanks all.

JD'sTT55
04-04-2014, 06:39 PM
I would think the baffling internally would be something along the lines of a dry sump tank. I've had bad experiences with unbaffled tanks (aeration issues) switched to the Lee remote reservoir and all issues went away.

liquidh8
04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
That is why I don't want to run an unbaffled talk. The stock PS reservoirs for the GN are getting $90-100 used. I can get a better one with a HB fitting for $150. But I have nothing but time and materials laying around my shop. So I figured I would make one the fits in the spot i want to put it.

astroracer
04-07-2014, 02:13 PM
I built a system for my van using a HB unit from a '95 Astro. I have the stock reservoir and there is no baffle in it. With that I am using a spun aluminum tank from Speedway. Looks a lot better then the stocker, holds more fluid and I can mount it where I want.
Mark

liquidh8
04-08-2014, 04:42 AM
MArk, I have seen the speedway tank. I just received an order from them too, lol. Everything I have read says to use a tank with a baffle. So, if I am going to build it, I may as well add the baffling.

hessdawg
04-20-2014, 09:37 AM
I ordered the plastic tank with -06 an fitting built in. It DOES NOT fit gm power steering pumps

alphaenvirmgt
05-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Call Jones Racing. They have remote reservoirs with proper baffles for HB units.
Conrad