PDA

View Full Version : Help! I can't breath(er)

Marty G Cars
09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
:help!:
Ok I need the talented fabricators/thinkers/designers on this site for this one. The custom made air box for my fuel injection set up ended up being a piece of (#@%!). Besides being charged way too much for it's fabrication (I'm embarassed to even disclose the cost) and the fact that it required 2 cut down K&N filters that would not seal properly to their mounting areas... it couldn't even handle the air flow of the dyno run, it sucked the rear filter right out of its mount.

The hood was designed aroung the air box (and also has a lot invested in its build) and if possible I would prefer to avoid cutting it apart again and resetting it. There is about 3.5" clearance between the top of the throttle body and the hood. The raised center section of the hood will allow a maximum air cleaner width of 12.5" (which was the width of the hand made air box). This rules out any round 14" air cleaners (unless I have rounded fiberglass sections added to the center of the cowl, and now it may start looking even more funky).

I picked up an oval air cleaner (15x8) thinking that I could have the bottom mounting plate (5 1/8" neck) modified to fit the 7 1/4" neck of the throttle body, but cutting an opening that large would eliminate some of the seating of the bottom of the filter element. The only way might be to have a custom bottom plate fabricated, but then there is the issue of the linkage arm being in the way too.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions besides the shoulda/woulda/coulda solutions?

Is it still considered Pro-Touring with a 5" velocity stack and no hood?

Marty G Cars
09-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Here's a couple of more pics with the oval air cleaner just set on top.

MrQuick
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I like the oval air cleaner but it might need to be raised or stacked to work properly. Maybe stacking 2 or 3 elements might be enough.
I would just make and mount a box on the hood and built a rubber sealed base at the bottom of the air cleaner. That way the base and air cleaner is the only thing you see when you lift open the hood.

Do you or can you get a shot from the front with the hood and air cleaner on?

toddshotrods
09-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Assuming your name indicates you have a 632" BBC, you're still not going to get enough air with the oval filter. Here's K&N's formula to determine how much filter you need. (http://knfilters.com/facts.htm#SELECT)

EDIT : The link doesn't open the page directly. Scroll down and click "Filter Slection".

I am designing a ram-air style hood and air box for a Pro Street Vega. It will use the six-inch cowl hood as a huge air box that seals to the Dominator carb with remote conical filters. The guy only has a 434-inch SBC, but he keeps talking about a 632 so the twin conical filters will be ready to supply whatever he needs. They have a HUGE selection of filters.

I am also supposed to design a similar setup for a 572-inch Camaro and, according to that formula, even a 14" filter is marginal for his motor.

Marty G Cars
09-16-2005, 06:59 PM
The motor is 638 CI. Do you have any ideas for my application?

SatisTraction
09-17-2005, 03:10 AM

to be honest you better start looking into a different hood and a totally new set up.

Marty G Cars
09-17-2005, 04:06 AM
I have a flat steel hood in primer that could be used for a one off shaker scoop type set-up. I had originally thought of using a reverse mounted cut down mini aero scoop with a filter insert.

Also what about the idea of a dominator type of tray similar to the one pictured with a set of 2 to 3 flat filters designed as a top. Anyone here think that may work and if so anyone want to build me one?

Marty G Cars
09-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Maybe with a couple of these filters.

toddshotrods
09-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to cheat you out of those six inches :icon996:

I NEVER run out of ideas...

...Also what about the idea of a dominator type of tray similar to the one pictured with a set of 2 to 3 flat filters designed as a top. Anyone here think that may work and if so anyone want to build me one?...Maybe with a couple of these filters.
The flat style is what I have in mind for the guy's 572 because he doesn't have enough room for "snorkels". They have 'em big enough that you'll only need one. That'll help with sealing, design, and cost.

I have a flat steel hood in primer that could be used for a one off shaker scoop type set-up.
First, I would suggest you decide what hood/scoop you PREFER on your car. Then I would try to design a filter system to work with it.

I had originally thought of using a reverse mounted cut down mini aero scoop with a filter insert.
I think did something similar to what you mean there on my Camaro. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Email me if you want to talk more about a specific design for your car. ([email protected])

SatisTraction
09-17-2005, 10:50 AM
why not build a nascar style filter and then have the air pick up come out of the high presure area between the hood and windshield?

Marty G Cars
09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Hey Todd,

What part of Ohio are you located? I'm a Georgia transplant from Dayton and a OSU Grad (1981). My family still lives there and I just drove up for a visit a couple of weeks ago.

And in regards to the 6 inches, unfortunalely that's a lot in my book.

My preference is to use the fiberglass hood in the pictures.

It may provide better air flow and work within the space available (3.5" clearance from the center of the throttle body to the hood, more hood clearance behind the throttle body, less hood clearance in front of the throttle body) to use two flat filter elements that are at about 20-25 degrees of incline and meet at the center of the throttle body _ / \ _ . This may be better than a single element that might only have an inch or less clearance from the hood. Additional thoughts are aluminum sheetmetal material tig'd to look similar to the valve covers with the same type of finish.

toddshotrods
09-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm in the NE corner, about halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, near Youngstown.

Marty G Cars
09-18-2005, 11:24 AM
I just may have figured out an easy solution! I found an odd ball over sized K&N filter on their website that is 10.25" x 11.25" (outside dimensions) and 8.5" x 9.5" (inside dimensions) in a 2.5" high element. This will allow me to -

1) Clear my hood
2) Have adequate filter surface area (I need ~ 200 square inches)
3) Build a bottom mounting plate that will place my linkage inside of the filter area, which I would then have boxed in and covered to seal off the opening.

I ordered the element and will take it to a local machine shop to discuss the top and bottom plate specs. It will have to mount with the longer side of the element going left to right, but with it being almost square I don't think it will look out of place at all. :cool:

What do you think?

toddshotrods
09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
That filter doesn't provide 200 square inches of filtering area. You would need at least a couple of them stacked, and that still might not be enough. Treating it like a perfect square (which is isn't - rounded corners = less area), it would have 43 linear inches, times the 2.5 inch height, minus .75 for the rubber, equals 107.5 inches of filtering area. I don't feel like doing the geometry, but it would be less due to the rounded corners.

Unless it's just late, I am too tired, and not thinking correctly. I've been walking around in a swap meet all day so my noodle could be fried... :geek:

Marty G Cars
09-19-2005, 02:38 AM
Yea, I think you're right. 202/(10.75x3.14) + .75 = 6.7 which is just shy of three 2.5" filters. Crap! :hammer:

texlurch
10-29-2005, 07:16 PM
You could modify the box you have to be similar to the old Thunderbolts. Seal the back, cut a pair of 3" holes on the sides or front, run a couple flex hoses to the core support, two more 3" holes, and a couple K&N cone filters mounted right behind the grill. Also gain some cold, ram air at speed. May look a little busy, but would be very effective.
I did one like that on a 79 camaro, used the aluminum dryer flex hose, and it actually looked and worked pretty well.

Just a thought.