PDA

View Full Version : matting t-56 to 2 peace seal for under 600.00

zuess4u
09-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Alright the students of Paradise Valley High chool have done it.

We matted a 1995 T-56 to a 2 peace rear main seal block for under 600.00$.

We removed the retainer bearing from the trans had it machined up to the standard T-4 size in order to allow the Quatermaster Hydraulic throw bearing to be used. Now we have a push style clutch. We can run all types and are not subject to the higher priced pull styles.

Next, we decided to trim a 1/4 inch of the pilot bearing and a 1/4 inch off the input shaft to make up for the 1/2 inch shorter bell housing. We realize we could have built a spacer, but decided not to.

So the two issues that baffles some people are, the bearing retainer size (where the throw out bearing rides on) and the shorter stock bell housing (1/2 shorter then the standard T-4 have been solved.

Some may not like the idea of cutting the shaft and the bearing, but its just what we did, you could make your own 1/2 spacer just as well.

Quater Master throw out bearing= 150.00

Ram 900 seris clutch and plate= 260.00

153 tooth lightened flywheel= 95.00

fabricated crossmember = 25.00 total 535.00

Mcleod also makes a push style throw out bearing, that will work with the stock bearing retainer, but it costs 400.00.

This may not be the route you want to take, but it worked for us.

TitoJones
09-16-2005, 01:29 PM
You forgot to put in the labor and cost of the machining process, since not everyone has access to the equipment.
Good job on the conversion. There are so many ways to tackle this conversion I see a new way almost every month.
Tyler

zuess4u
09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
You forgot to put in the labor and cost of the machining process, since not everyone has access to the equipment.
Good job on the conversion. There are so many ways to tackle this conversion I see a new way almost every month.
Tyler

Thanks Tyler, the machine cost us 35.00$, but they helped us out, so it could be higher, or less you never know.

Tyler I hope you dont feel any ill will, the students were excited, and asked that I shared the info with everyone, did not think about how it would effect vendors......sorry

TitoJones
09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
No ill will at all. I'm glad the students are learing how to fabricate and got the T56 installed in an economical way. Keep up the great work!
Tyler

Mkelcy
09-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Next, we decided to trim a 1/4 inch of the pilot bearing and a 1/4 inch off the input shaft to make up for the 1/2 inch shorter bell housing. We realize we could have built a spacer, but decided not to.

I'm not clear on what you're describing. A 1995 T56 is (I think) an LT1 transmission, and the bellhousing is much more than 0.5" shorter than a standard SBC bellhousing and the input shaft is much shorter than either a Muncie or an LS1 input shaft. Why were shortening rather than trying to extend?

andrewb70
09-18-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm not clear on what you're describing. A 1995 T56 is (I think) an LT1 transmission, and the bellhousing is much more than 0.5" shorter than a standard SBC bellhousing and the input shaft is much shorter than either a Muncie or an LS1 input shaft. Why were shortening rather than trying to extend?

They are shortening so that there is more room to convert from a pull style clutch to a push style clutch.

Andrew

Monzsta
09-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I like my way. A steel plate, some math, a Viper tranny, my Monza's 4 speed bellhousing and a 10'5" Camaro Centerforce D/F clutch with a 153T GM 12lb nodular flywheel. Much simpler.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Mkelcy
09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
They are shortening so that there is more room to convert from a pull style clutch to a push style clutch.

Andrew

Sorry, I guess I'm dense. I don't follow how trimming the pilot bushing and the input shaft makes more room for the push style clutch, nor do I understand where this 0.5" shorter bellhousing dimension is coming from UNLESS they are using an LS1 bellhousing and an LS1 input shaft.

zuess4u
09-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Sorry, I guess I'm dense. I don't follow how trimming the pilot bushing and the input shaft makes more room for the push style clutch, nor do I understand where this 0.5" shorter bellhousing dimension is coming from UNLESS they are using an LS1 bellhousing and an LS1 input shaft.

Let me explain what happen, I may be telling you wrong.

We never measured the T-4 bell housing, we only assumed it was shorter.

We mocked up the T-56 to a short block without a bushing in the crank and without the bellhousing.

The input shaft bottomed out into the crank, at that point the distance between the block and the face of the trans was 4 and 7/8. Which is the same measurement of the bellhousing.

Then installed the pilot bushing and the bellhousing, re-mocked it up and the space between the bellhousing and the motor was 1/2 inch, thats when we decided to trim a 1/4 inch off shaft and bushing.

Monzsta
09-20-2005, 11:34 AM
I had to lathe my transmission's front plate (not the adapter) 3/8" and shorten the pilot on the input shaft 1/2" to get a proper spline engagement.

Not difficult, just time consuming checking and rechecking everything.