PDA

View Full Version : Best Wax - What are you using?

Bigblue73
09-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Just wondering what the best was is out on the market. I'm partial to the Mequiars line, but am wondering about the new Mothers Waxes and Polishes. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rubes
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
I too have always used Meguires with acceptable results. But a friend of mine always had the most perfect looking paint. He would get a new car and the next time I see it I would swear he had it painted. But all he uses is Zaino (http://www.zainostore.com) The most awsome stuff I've seen, just that it is pretty expensive.

Steve Chryssos
09-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm a Meguiar's junkie except for my aluminum polish which is Mother's. If I ever tease the Mrs. about how much make-up (and shampoo, and conditioner, and facial cleanser, and moisturizer) she buys, she points to the shelves in my garage and says "Look who's talking!" I've got at least one of everything Meguiar's makes.

Which raises the questions: Why would someone intentionally rub a "boysenberry/avocado/seeweed extract" blend on their face? And is it a salad or a beauty product?
/Steevo

Ralph LoGrasso
09-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm a huge fan of Zaino. Every car I've seen it used on just looks absolutely incredible. I really need to get off my a$$ and order some. The only downside is just that-- For the most part, you've got to order the stuff on line, as there are very few local retailers, or atleast very few with store fronts.

AAW
09-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Beauty product,Steve. Don't make fun of us, I'm watchin you!

:box2:

~Theresa~

OLDFLM
09-16-2005, 01:49 PM
I wanna know what wax Streetking uses!?

His 73 T/A absolutely glows!

V/R,
Ty

Steve Chryssos
09-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Beauty product,Steve. Don't make fun of us, I'm watchin you!
:box2:
~Theresa~

Oops! :scared:

parsonsj
09-16-2005, 02:38 PM
And ... uh ... it's definitely a beauty product. But in case of nuclear war, it's a good backup plan prior to starving.

jp

ps. Zaino. Zaino. Zaino.

Bigblue73
09-16-2005, 08:56 PM
I just found Zaino in the California Car Covers Catalog.....Whats this stuff have in it? I would at least expect a kiss for that amount of money. Dang!

Has anyone tried Mother FXsynwax? I can't find it around here, but I'm planning to pick some up at Good Guys next weekend in Kansas City.

parsonsj
09-17-2005, 04:58 AM
I would at least expect a kiss for that amount of money. Dang!

If you want to glow, you gotta cough up the dough.

jp

Steve Chryssos
09-17-2005, 05:09 AM
If you want to glow, you gotta cough up the dough.

jp

Sounds like a line from the Snoop Dogg/Iacocca Chrysler ads.

vanzuuk1
09-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Every car I have seen with zaino on it looked amazing.
Part of it is the process they give, claybar etc. Their stuff is amazing.

deadcarny
09-17-2005, 05:13 PM
I was a meguires junkie. I have used all the meguires stuff from the cheap store 3 step, the gold classs, and the professional stuff..... I would clay the car every time I detailed it.... Then I tried Zaino! I will NEVER use another polish again on a car that I want to look good. Meguires does not stand anywhere near Zaino.

I have used Mothers, duragloss, meguires, and some other (non-storebought) stuff. I would say I have tried at least 10 different brands and systems of polishes/waxes. NOTHING comes close to the finish and durability that Zaino gives.

62wagon
09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I too have had good luck with Zaino's products. I would have to say that I am a Meguiar's junkie as well. Tough to beat there products.

Has anyone tried this stuff - www.adamspolishes.com (http://www.adamspolishes.com/) - they had a display at the Charlotte AutoFair over the weekend that was huge. With seeing that, I can now understand some of their prices.

Mark

formula
09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
here's my process to super-sexy paint:

1) wash, obviously. NOT with dawn-it eats clearcoat.
2) go over the whole car with a 50/50 diluted alcohol/water solution to remove any old wax, sealant, glaze, etc.
3) rinse just for good measure
4) claybar to remove any surface impurities
5) place a plastic bag over my hand and test to make sure all impurities are removed. the paint should feel absolutely silky after this step.
6) hand-polish, usually with nothing more than scratch-x to take out any of those swirl marks that pop up over time. Come back with a slightly heavier polish if necessary.
7)hand-glaze, usually with 3m imperial. I'm thinking of switching though- Imperial gives incredible depth and fills nicely, but it's HARD to use by hand. It would be marvelous with a machine though.
8)seal, typically with zaino or, if i'm feeling cheap, NXT or a similar off-the-shelf synthetic sealant. by the way, zaino is NOT a wax and should not be confused with one.
9) wax, either with p21s or a coat of gold class.
10) buff to a beautiful shine!

if i'm in a hurry, i'll just do a quick coat of meguiars cleaner wax. as a cleaner wax it slowly removes everything underneath, but it gives a nice short term shine to tide me over to the next strip-down-wax-up session.

also, don't scrimp on applicator pads or towels or soap. good microfiber towels and good pads will produce much nicer effects, and good soap will do a better job of lifting the dirt and junk off of your paint so that you dont scrub it around on your paint and scratch everything up.

Duesey
09-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Colinite is the best stuff I've used. Takes a lot of elbow grease to use it but it lasts much longer than mequires or any of those brands. Never tried zaino though.

rob07002
09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I just found Zaino in the California Car Covers Catalog.....Whats this stuff have in it? I would at least expect a kiss for that amount of money. Dang!

I hear its ground up puppies and kittens.....

I know, I'm sick.... their located about a half hour from my house(wow something good does come out of the Garbage State), do you guys want me to see if I can get a bulk discount or something.

vanzuuk1
06-04-2006, 07:39 AM
Anyone try turtle wax ice? The commercial must be affecting me, I want to try it.

outlaw ss
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I swap from Turtle Ice to Eagle One Nano -

my Impala has never looked better!

vanzuuk1
06-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Outlaw, did you like the "Ice" at all. Compare the two if you can, give a mini review.

Norwoodx55
06-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Anyone try turtle wax ice? The commercial must be affecting me, I want to try it.
Stupid commercial worked on me too. I liked the fact that it won't turn white on the trim. It is easy to use and looked good, for a short time. By the second wash, about 10 days later, the water would barely bead up. I probably won't use it again.
Brett

John McIntire
06-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Vote for Zaino from me too!! I've met and talked to Sal a few times, he goes to a bunch of the cruise nights around here, great guy!
His products are amazing, anyone who uses it can vouch for it.
Now don't tell too many people about it, we don't want everyone elses car looking as good as ours!

BonzoHansen
06-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Stupid commercial worked on me too. I liked the fact that it won't turn white on the trim. It is easy to use and looked good, for a short time. By the second wash, about 10 days later, the water would barely bead up. I probably won't use it again.
BrettThat means it doesn't even work as well as the eagle one wax-as-u-dry I use on my daily drivers. Weak.