PDA

View Full Version : need some intake help

kman67rsss
09-09-2004, 04:29 PM
i have built a 414 BBC with AFR heads, happen to be rectangle port. my problem is this is in a 67 RS/SS camaro that i want to use the stock hood on. my delimma is i cant find an intake that will definately fit. it looks like the air gap, which i wanted to use is definetly out, now im looking at the weiand stealth intake, but the guy on the tech line was all but useless. any help or input would be great. thanks

ProdigyCustoms
09-09-2004, 06:20 PM
We were able to clear an Air Gap on a 496 under a factory 1967 SS hood. We had to do a few things to make it clear. We redrilled the motor mounts to let the motor drop a half inch or so, We used a mushroom air cleaner and a K and N filter lid, and also trimed away the underhood frame from the air cleaner area.
Also, I do not have an air gap in front of me right now, but I am pretty sure we had decided we could mill a bit off the carb mounting flange of the intake, if we needed to.

Frank

kman67rsss
09-09-2004, 06:57 PM
i was alredy thinking about trimming underhood, but i didnt get upstairs in the barn to take a look at it, plus i hate cutting up an original hood.

ProdigyCustoms
09-10-2004, 03:16 AM
If I rememebr right, we had to trim a little braceing, and grind off one studs for the hood louvers. It worked out real well as the car was a terrific sleeper with that basically flat hood.

kman67rsss
09-10-2004, 01:52 PM
do you remember how much clearance was left when you were finished, what carb was used etc. doing that might not be so bad, but i dont think i can lower the engine any more because as is i am alredy verry tight with header ti steering box clearance.

ProdigyCustoms
09-10-2004, 09:09 PM
The front edge of the air cleaner only had 1/4 inch of clearance with the Playdoo test. The back a bit more. We dimpled the left header for additional steering box clearance. You should take you own measurements, but it should fit.
In fact, after I wrote, I remebered we had a nitrous plate on it also. That is another 5/8 inch or so.
We ran a 950HP carb on it, Holley.

kman67rsss
09-11-2004, 07:30 AM
thanks for the input. it seems like it might be possible to just trim some underhood material away, and skip the redrilling of the motor mounts if im not going to run any type of spacer. one question though, what is a mushroom head air cleaner, is it like a drop base set up?

ProdigyCustoms
09-11-2004, 07:40 AM
We used a 2 inch drop base with a 3 inch element with a filter lid. It did hurt this particular engine a bit as it was a heavy breather, about 650HP on motor. We did pick up with the air cleaner off at the track. it ran the street fine and we did not notice the 1/10th in performance with the lid on.