PDA

View Full Version : advice for a teen trying to get into the automotive work place

71maroesteban
03-28-2014, 11:20 PM
I wanted to see if some of the guys all ready in the automotive work place can help me out and point me in the right direction so I know where to start I would love to work with car either as an automotive technician or to help engineer new vehicles (preferably engineering sports car but I know that stretching it lol ) at first I was looking into uti but it being nearly 40k for one year and I don't see how you could become a master technician in a year I know some guys that took them years to master everything so I went to my local community college went for a year right after I graduated high school and was just taking classes that seemed interesting automotive advance and all of those now I'm 19 and want some insight from people with more experience in this field to help me decide where to go from here some of my goals if like to be able to accomplish is fabricate,metal work, body work and be able to open an engine or transmission and not be completely clue less lol thanks in advance for any help and also to any employers what's something you look for in a possible employee?

Build-It-Break-It
03-29-2014, 01:44 AM
I'm glad to see young people are still interested in working with there hands. Stay away from those trade schools, some places won't even hire those graduates. I've personally worked with UTI graduates that couldn't even fix a lawn mower let alone go on to work at as Mercedes Benz dealership. I've been wrenching for 12 years now and started with no experience at Sears repair center then got into a diesel job through a buddy with no experience and now I'm a heavy equipment mechanic Leadman. My best advice is to stay in school and earn enough money to pay someone else to do the dirty work. Sounds stupid coming from someone doing the dirty work but its not worth beating your body up over years of manual labor. I'm only 33 years old and have a bad back already from years of the field. Depending on where you live the money sometimes isn't worth the body aches. If i could do it all over again i would of stayed in school for a similar profession but along the lines of cad drawings or engineering. Do the metal fab and building as a hobby not a full time job. That's my two cents. Not bashing anyone for there career choices, but being a laborer sucks sometimes.

71maroesteban
03-29-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm glad to see young people are still interested in working with there hands. Stay away from those trade schools, some places won't even hire those graduates. I've personally worked with UTI graduates that couldn't even fix a lawn mower let alone go on to work at as Mercedes Benz dealership. I've been wrenching for 12 years now and started with no experience at Sears repair center then got into a diesel job through a buddy with no experience and now I'm a heavy equipment mechanic Leadman. My best advice is to stay in school and earn enough money to pay someone else to do the dirty work. Sounds stupid coming from someone doing the dirty work but its not worth beating your body up over years of manual labor. I'm only 33 years old and have a bad back already from years of the field. Depending on where you live the money sometimes isn't worth the body aches. If i could do it all over again i would of stayed in school for a similar profession but along the lines of cad drawings or engineering. Do the metal fab and building as a hobby not a full time job. That's my two cents. Not bashing anyone for there career choices, but being a laborer sucks sometimes. thanks for the advice and yea I enjoy working with my hands more than anything but I can see what you mean that once it becomes a job it just takes its toll on you I guess just get my degree through auto and take it from there maybe engineering or something along those lines just want to be able to have a solid path to follow to get a good career

T_Raven
03-29-2014, 03:38 PM
I'm a Wyotech grad, 31, been a tech about 11 years. My advice to anyone wanting to get into an automotive career is to understand that the money sucks, the hours are long, and the work is hard. If you don't care about all of that, then go for it, but don't waste money on Wyotech or UTI. I have worked with techs that made a good living, but it's usually only one or two guys in a shop that do, and it doesn't matter how good you are when the work is flat rate and no work comes in. I no longer fix cars full time because it's a terrible career but I have a fully equipped shop at home and make decent side money.

Paraman1
03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Working on cars is supposed to be fun . My Advice is go get an education in engineering (mechanical) and work on cars in your spare time for fun . Take some classes on machining if you can fit those in as well . I have a buddy who used to be the production Engineer for Western Power Sports and it is so much fun to go over to his place and help him work on projects . He does a lot of product development for different firearms manufacturers now but he still dabbles in the motorsports field and always has some amazing projects going on in his shop .

Schwartz Performance
03-29-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm close to 3 years out of McPherson College, did their 4 year automotive restoration degree. I got a lot of the basics down there and learned a little bit about a lot of areas. The most beneficial part about going to school was working part time and being able to have fun on my personal projects. I learned the most by reading up on forums and talking with the instructors about more in depth topics.
If you surround yourself with experienced people (like the pro touring board and others), and have a personal project (as you do) then you've got a great head start.

From an employer standpoint, we've had grads from wyotech, UTI, etc..... And most of them aren't worth it. Wyotech is a clean-shaven, 8-5 day job. The real (fun) world is get to work on time, learn and have fun, stay late working on projects, and go home feeling accomplished.
We usually hire guys on a temp position first, to work on smaller projects on the weekends. If they appear to have the skill set to make it in our business and to fit in with our work ethic, then usually they work out.
So if you can finish your car or get far enough along to prove to an employer that you have mechanical ability, then you shouldn't have a problem getting your foot in the door and be paid a little more than minimum wage. I'm 24 so not too much older than ya ;)

-Dale

71maroesteban
03-29-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm close to 3 years out of McPherson College, did their 4 year automotive restoration degree. I got a lot of the basics down there and learned a little bit about a lot of areas. The most beneficial part about going to school was working part time and being able to have fun on my personal projects. I learned the most by reading up on forums and talking with the instructors about more in depth topics.
If you surround yourself with experienced people (like the pro touring board and others), and have a personal project (as you do) then you've got a great head start.

From an employer standpoint, we've had grads from wyotech, UTI, etc..... And most of them aren't worth it. Wyotech is a clean-shaven, 8-5 day job. The real (fun) world is get to work on time, learn and have fun, stay late working on projects, and go home feeling accomplished.
We usually hire guys on a temp position first, to work on smaller projects on the weekends. If they appear to have the skill set to make it in our business and to fit in with our work ethic, then usually they work out.
So if you can finish your car or get far enough along to prove to an employer that you have mechanical ability, then you shouldn't have a problem getting your foot in the door and be paid a little more than minimum wage. I'm 24 so not too much older than ya ;)

-Dale wow your only 24?! I thought you were way older because you know so much just makes me want to learn as much as possible before I hit 21 it's always very mixed with what I hear people saying it's awesome working with cars others saying it's okay for a while but gets old which is a shame since I enjoy working with them so much I love learning new thing fabrication is something I'm Obsessed with and seeing what some guys on here build is mind blowing and I envy that they can take an lsx rip it open as if it was nothing and put it all back together it's something I want to be able to do before I hit 21 also to get a lot better at wielding that'd why I'm so proud to be working on my car doing all the annoying things like being under the car grinding it down to metal to clean it and sanding it down and piecing the drive train together it's just hard to find like minded people like me where I live I'm dead center in the OC and no one likes working with there hands everyone is always looking to hire someone to do it but I love being able to say at the end of the day I'm building My car no else is its a dream of mine to work at shop like yours if I ever got the chance to work somewhere like that I'd strive to be the best worker there

srh3trinity
03-30-2014, 04:48 AM
This is a side note, but add some punctuation to your posts. Your responses are difficult to read and I have given up on reading some of them.
Think about how this post represents you. What if there is a local shop that finds your thread here and they consider reaching out to you to give you a start in the business. You would then, in some way represent the shop here on the board. If you can't get your point across or people skip over your posts, the shop might lose a potential client. Take note of the post from the Schwartz employee above, it is helpful, well framed and easy to read. He, along with many other shop and company employees are representing their companies well on these very popular boards and by doing so, they are winning customers. This is a way they show their knowledge about a topic or product, but it is also a form of customer service. Employers want to be well represented at all times. It impacts their bottom line.
On a broader scale, many people on this board are a little older than you and they may write you off or not take the time to read through one of your posts because of the lack of punctuation. A little goes a long way. Always choose to represent yourself as best you can. You are growing up in a time where employers may check your facebook page or find an old post through a profile search and they will use the information they find to make decisions about hiring you. This certainly holds true in the business world and could extend to other industries too. Whether it be through the written word or in person you are constantly being judged by others. Right or wrong, it is how people will form an opinion on you and your perceived intelligence.
My point is to help you out, not call you out. I am not beating you up here, i just want you to be well received and get the help you are very wisely asking for. I will admit I leave off a period or comma here and there if I am in a hurry, but I try to make my post easy to read. Now, I have opened myself up to somebody critiquing my grammar and punctuation.

astroracer
03-30-2014, 04:51 AM
If you want to be an engineer, you have to go to school to learn engineering. Without that none of the top automotive tier suppliers, let alone an OEM, will look at you. Getting a job as a tech usually takes the schooling to get that job, unless you start out in a lawn mower shop... Get the schooling, get the grades and then you will have the opportunity.
ALSO... Punctuation. Use it. Reading your posts is very difficult as everything runs together. I'm sure you were taught that in the grades so us what you learned...
Mark

71maroesteban
03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
This is a side note, but add some punctuation to your posts. Your responses are difficult to read and I have given up on reading some of them.
Think about how this post represents you. What if there is a local shop that finds your thread here and they consider reaching out to you to give you a start in the business. You would then, in some way represent the shop here on the board. If you can't get your point across or people skip over your posts, the shop might lose a potential client. Take note of the post from the Schwartz employee above, it is helpful, well framed and easy to read. He, along with many other shop and company employees are representing their companies well on these very popular boards and by doing so, they are winning customers. This is a way they show their knowledge about a topic or product, but it is also a form of customer service. Employers want to be well represented at all times. It impacts their bottom line.
On a broader scale, many people on this board are a little older than you and they may write you off or not take the time to read through one of your posts because of the lack of punctuation. A little goes a long way. Always choose to represent yourself as best you can. You are growing up in a time where employers may check your facebook page or find an old post through a profile search and they will use the information they find to make decisions about hiring you. This certainly holds true in the business world and could extend to other industries too. Whether it be through the written word or in person you are constantly being judged by others. Right or wrong, it is how people will form an opinion on you and your perceived intelligence.
My point is to help you out, not call you out. I am not beating you up here, i just want you to be well received and get the help you are very wisely asking for. I will admit I leave off a period or comma here and there if I am in a hurry, but I try to make my post easy to read. Now, I have opened myself up to somebody critiquing my grammar and punctuation. I just went back to re read what I wrote and you have a point it's just that I write this on my phone so it's a pain lol but no you are right thanks for the advice, also don't worry looking for constructive criticism to better myself

T_Raven
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
The beef I have with our society, as far as careers go, is that we are taught to pick a career and then make our life style fit that income. We are constantly told to "do what you love and not worry about the money", or "do what you love and never work a day in your life". Well if you do what you love for a living and the money is so bad you have to scrape by, it doesn't take long to hate what you love and then what? Consider our lifestyle the destination and a career is the vehicle to get there. We are taught to pick a vehicle and just accept the destination it will get us to. Is that how we take vacations? Heck no you pick the destination and then decide what vehicle you need to get there. So I tell everyone to pick a LIFESTYLE first and find a career that will allow them to live that life style. A great income isn't much good if you have no time to enjoy it, and a lot of free time isn't much good if you have no money to enjoy it. I've always loved cars and fixing them is still fun, especially diagnosis, which most people shy away from. It's rewarding to fix a tough problem. But if the money's no good, you can't pay your bills with rewarding feelings lol. I've had jobs as a mechanic making as little as $15,000/yr to as much as $170,000/yr working over seas. What I've learned from all that is doing an enjoyable job for no money makes you hate that job, and doing a hard job in terrible conditions for a ton of money makes it a very enjoyable job lol.

So anyway I say figure out how you want to live your life and pick a career that will get you there. If you want your life to revolve around a job, and don't have goals and dreams for life outside of work, then pick whatever you think you'll enjoy.

GMTech
03-30-2014, 06:37 PM
You may want to look into manufacturer training such as the GM ASEP program. I'm sure other car companies have similar programs. This way you get a two year college degree and training in automotive repair. You'll get real work experience in a dealership and also find out if college is your thing. If you like the college side of it, by all means continue your education, or if you find that working on cars is your thing you'll be well prepared for that. As others have said its not an easy career but like anything if you work hard it can be a fulfilling and profitable choice.

1truckguy78
03-31-2014, 04:20 AM
I am 24 as well and a UTI grad, finished in December of 09'. Let me tell you its not needed. Learned a lot but not nearly as much as i did when i started in the field. My problem was working 10-14 hours a day at the truck shop pretty much killed my interest in finishing my personal projects. So really think about it, i love my job landscaping and back to loving my projects.

bs46488
03-31-2014, 07:59 AM
71morestaban, where do you live?

I think you'll have more opportunities open to you with a traditional degree in engineering. Once you gain experience, you'll also have more room for career growth with a degree in your background.

71maroesteban
03-31-2014, 08:24 AM
71morestaban, where do you live?

I think you'll have more opportunities open to you with a traditional degree in engineering. Once you gain experience, you'll also have more room for career growth with a degree in your background. I live in orange county 3 minutes away from Saddleback community college, the school has a great transfer program and it's extremely cheap that's why I want to take full advantage of the school. After reading what most have to say about being a technician I feel as if getting an engineering degree or around there should be my goal

sccacuda
03-31-2014, 10:28 AM
I was a Chrysler tech for 20 years, taught for Chrysler a few and taught for Florida State College a few more at night while starting my own shop. Being a tech and teaching techs, I'll offer this advice. Decide what you want to do in this career field. Are you motivated to learn and like the challenges that working on the newer vehicles can offer? Most get frustrated and quit or decide they want to just be parts changers. These guys don't make much money and are very expendable. You need a good understanding of chemistry, computer savvy (not Facebook or cell phone tech) and math as well as very strong electrical skills if your even thinking about working at the upper level of techs. This is your 6 figure group and are most definitely not expendable. You will aways have a job making good money if you try and achieve this level. Unfortunately, 1 in 20 students I taught were what I considered a candidate to join this group. Same thing for dealer techs. I would give 15 year techs simple electrical test and they would fail. These are your parts changers and guessers. Again, not much money here.

I agree with everyone on the schools. I taught at night while starting my automotive business. The instructors are less than ideal. Most are former techs that quit a profession at the time you start making good money. I always questioned these guys as to why would you quit at your prime to make 36K a year teaching? Probably because that is close to what they made in the shop which puts them in the parts changer pay grade for not very good techs. Not ideal to teach you.

As far as engineering, I started down that road, but the less than ideal automotive world in the 80's pushed me into the shop instead. Today's a very different story. Lots of exciting stuff! My question is are you the engineering type? I've taught the new crop of guys for Chrysler on how automotive systems work and work together (these are very specific fielded people) and when you come across a "car guy" engineer, it's bliss! These guys are great.

If I had to do it over now, it would be a tough decision. I've enjoyed being a tech, made great money, and great contacts. I've really enjoyed working directly with engineering once I reached a level that made my opinions matter and got great satisfaction from seeing my ideas or suggestions put into practice or production. This is the part of me that wanted to be an engineer I think. Being able to leave the suit and tie compound and roll up the bay doors and work on cars and pretty much do as I please is the part of me that loves being a tech.

Either one takes a strong commitment to be successful and that commitment starts with education!

Decline
03-31-2014, 11:51 AM
Heres another idea.
Almost every major auto manufacture has a design studio in SoCal. If you learn how to clay model or digital model (CAD) you can make good $ fast, like starting rate $25/hr(50k)
Its the bridge between design dept and engineering dept so you have know both, but it can be taught if you put the time in.
The hard part is trying to find someone to teach you. I went to night school in Detroit, but I've heard of classes around here.
Theres a extremely expensive art school in Pasadena called Art Center that teaches computer classes.
Besides that I guess google the names of the major CAD programs, Alias, and Catia. And also search Clay modeling

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't know what your high school grades were like, or how your math skills are, but I'll throw my support in again for getting an Engineering degree, if you think you can handle it. Calculus. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

$40k a year for UTI? Yikes! Most wrenches are probably lucky to earn more than that, especially since I'm in debt (only?) $30k for several years to get my B.S.E. in Mechanical Engineering.

But I knew from the start that I did not want a job wrenching because I knew affording the projects would be hard, and I might get tired of working by the time I get to my projects. I decided to enter engineering since that opens all kinds of doors, you can always go back and work on cars on your own like many Engineers on here, and that would lend you a lot more credibility about knowing what you build. Although I'm not in a field engineering for automotive applications, I'm working a lot with military ground vehicles which gives me my mechanical fix at work, yet I don't tire of working on my cars. Plus engineering gets you access and ability to design your own parts, and depending on your company and connections, the ability to make many one off parts with advanced tools you wouldn't have access to as a tech.

But going back to UTI, I think it's not worth it. If you want to work on new Fords earning minimum pay, it might be beneficial, but I think otherwise the best wrenches are those who grew up with it, and know it naturally.

Rifleman_Racing
03-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Heres another idea.
Almost every major auto manufacture has a design studio in SoCal. If you learn how to clay model or digital model (CAD) you can make good $ fast, like starting rate $25/hr(50k)
Its the bridge between design dept and engineering dept so you have know both, but it can be taught if you put the time in.
The hard part is trying to find someone to teach you. I went to night school in Detroit, but I've heard of classes around here.
Theres a extremely expensive art school in Pasadena called Art Center that teaches computer classes.
Besides that I guess google the names of the major CAD programs, Alias, and Catia. And also search Clay modeling

That is not true. The art side of things does not pay well at all. My girlfriend has a degree in Computer Animation and only makes decent money because she works in the medical field for a bio tech start up in the silicon valley. Artists dont make a lot. CAD paid well 30 years ago, but not today.

You may want to look into manufacturer training such as the GM ASEP program. I'm sure other car companies have similar programs. This way you get a two year college degree and training in automotive repair. You'll get real work experience in a dealership and also find out if college is your thing. If you like the college side of it, by all means continue your education, or if you find that working on cars is your thing you'll be well prepared for that. As others have said its not an easy career but like anything if you work hard it can be a fulfilling and profitable choice.

This I agree with. I am an ASEP grad and I have made as much as $35/hr flat rate booking 90 hours a week. That was doing diagnostics at a VERY busy new car dealer. Now I make $26 bucks an hour in a government job, but I get a guaranteed pension and benefits. THE best work is in the public sector, or other fleet work. The best thing you can do as a tech is learn the computer side of things. Im not talking about how to use a computer, but how to write assembly language for EEPROMS and code in C. Put yourself at the tip of the spear and youll find yourself indefensible and irreplaceable.

TheJDMan
03-31-2014, 06:11 PM
My view is this. I love working on my cars, but I hate having to work on cars for someone else. I do all my DD repairs in addition to my hobby fabrication/building. That said I still wanted to be in the automotive industry so I went into the parts side of it. A good parts person is valuable and hard to find these days. If you want, approach your local parts stores or speed shops and see if they have any part time work you can do to get your foot in the door while you decide on a direction for higher education.

andrewb70
03-31-2014, 06:31 PM
There are some great suggestions here. All I will add is the following. First, don't get in debt more than you absolutely have to. Two, don't turn your avocation into your vocation.

Andrew

71maroesteban
03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
My view is this. I love working on my cars, but I hate having to work on cars for someone else. I do all my DD repairs in addition to my hobby fabrication/building. That said I still wanted to be in the automotive industry so I went into the parts side of it. A good parts person is valuable and hard to find these days. If you want, approach your local parts stores or speed shops and see if they have any part time work you can do to get your foot in the door while you decide on a direction for higher education. I feel like this is the best stepping stone for me right now I looked into the gm program closest one to me is nearly 2 hours away. There is an O Reilys 3 Minutes away from Me I'll stop by and apply I wouldn't want to leave my current job though I work in a restaurant part time and make nearly 2k a month and works perfectly around my schooling, it's not my most preferred job but pays good just still stuck In terms of where to go from here I'm only 19 but time flies by so quickly. Also in response to who asked about my grades I graduated with mostly As just got two Bs and was in some ap classes school isn't to hard for me just go and do the work and study so if I was to go into engineering it would be a challenge but seems as if it's my best shot of making a good living, I've just been givin a lot of opportunities by my parents and would feel as if I was letting them down by not taking advantage which is why I have asked for some advice from more experienced individuals here.

Nicks67GTO
04-02-2014, 08:56 PM
I feel like this is the best stepping stone for me right now I looked into the gm program closest one to me is nearly 2 hours away. There is an O Reilys 3 Minutes away from Me I'll stop by and apply I wouldn't want to leave my current job though I work in a restaurant part time and make nearly 2k a month and works perfectly around my schooling, it's not my most preferred job but pays good just still stuck In terms of where to go from here I'm only 19 but time flies by so quickly. Also in response to who asked about my grades I graduated with mostly As just got two Bs and was in some ap classes school isn't to hard for me just go and do the work and study so if I was to go into engineering it would be a challenge but seems as if it's my best shot of making a good living, I've just been givin a lot of opportunities by my parents and would feel as if I was letting them down by not taking advantage which is why I have asked for some advice from more experienced individuals here.

Well I hate to put this out here because its kind of personal but if it helps you along I guess whatever.... here goes. I had a good friends dad tell me years ago to stick with what you're good at. Best advice ever and I quit college after 6 weeks. I'm an industrial electrician now because of that advice. I'm horrible with books but I can fix anything in my factory with my hands, tools and a laptop. I have a mechanical mind but I suck at books. If you want to get into a job that makes good money, has a fantastic job outlook in the future and you still get to turn wrenches, then let me suggest skilled trades. Specifically industrial trades. Industrial mechanic or Industrial electrician. I'm an industrial electrician for a company that builds big old green and yellow tractors. I basically troubleshoot PLC programs when they get out of sequence and work on machines when they go down. The job is technical, hard on the brain sometimes, easy on the body, and pays really well with lots of overtime if you want it. I'm a licensed journeyman electrician by trade and i got hired where i'm at, at 25 years old with 4 years in the electrical field and my licence. I'm now almost 32. That's the hard way in though. If you wanted in tomorrow, you could do a local school to work program at the community college here and if you did well they would hire you in a minute. The are literally begging for younger guys that want to do technical trades. Electrician, pipe fitter, refrigeration and fitting etc. Those guys don't exist right now and its a big problem in the future. Look it up. If my job at a green tractor factory was gone tomorrow I would have another job in a week. Supply and demand says the pay is going to do nothing but go way up with all the boomers leaving the trades vacant and no younger guys wanting to take over. You are young. So if you're smart and don't mind working off shift for some years, industrial skilled trades can start at $40-60/yr and take you to $90-100K/yr with awesome benefits and little investment in a community college program. I'm sure there is a program like that where you are at. Give it a second look.

Nicks67GTO
04-02-2014, 09:02 PM
There are some great suggestions here. All I will add is the following. First, don't get in debt more than you absolutely have to. Two, don't turn your avocation into your vocation.

Andrew

^^^This too

andrewb70
04-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Here is a great interview with Mike Rowe that you might find very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKzu86Agg0

Andrew

Nicks67GTO
04-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Here is a great interview with Mike Rowe that you might find very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzKzu86Agg0

Andrew

Rowe is absolutely right....I see you're watching ReasonTV. Good info source.

Edit: I have read Rowe's views on this stuff before but I just watched the whole video. Well worth it for the OP to watch this 45 minute gem.

MonzaRacer
04-27-2014, 04:05 PM
So being a tech sucks, has low pay and isnt worth it.
Must not be for the ones who think this crap.
BUT deciding on a lifestyle then going for a job.
Please.
I was offered a chance to go Air Force, till they decided to NOT take my LTI college credits, after saying it was going too.
So I kept on working on cars, spent about 3 months doing maintenance at a college, at 19 ran the management of 23 different contractors while we had a 12ft x 12ft x 8ft xray machine installed, it could xray a car, cause we DID. We did an 8 week demo, prep and install in 6 weeks 2 days.
I still work on cars.
I started when I was getting paid $3.35 a hour.
I never worked for commission/flat rate till 2003.
Well while I dont turn $100k paychecks, I am so much more satisfied with where I am now over other ways.
I have made WAY less than many would deem acceptable,,,,,BUT I am in my own home, my car while a little older, deer damaged, used, paid off motorcycle, nearly debt free.
And you know what, would making $150k be great, sure, but if I went for a crappy high pay job, pay enormous amounts of interest on payments, have lots of expensive items that fill a void.
I know a guy who makes well over $100k, in debt up to his eye balls and doesnt know where too start to dig out.
I love working on cars, if someone loves working on cars, ask questions, educate your self as to what you want to do in the field.
I want a shop of my own, do regular repairs but also help others rebuild a car they have or want into something driveable.
nothing Chip Foose type Overhaulin build but help a person get something together they can enjoy.
I helped a guy start dragracing. he started knowing NOTHING. Bought a 78 Camaro, bone stock engine, flat cam, burnt valves, horrible shape in some peoples eyes.
But solid, no rust just rough.
We rebuilt the engine, new clutch, slapper bars, cheap used wheels and tires, and he drove it. Learning how to race.
Then came bolt ons, mods with it in car, new trans after aluminum Muncie crapped out.
10 yrs he kept going, sold original engine, after being built up to another guy on budget, we built another one, better heads, better other parts.
He sold the car for a year, much to his sons displeasure, bought it back and now its a PT in progress.
He did this all on $24k a year and his wife making same.
He bought a $100k house, has a truck, enclosed trailer, boat, etc. And all on a small income.
The big paycheck wont fix unhappy, just makes it less uncomfortable.
Life isnt about money or a bank account. Its about handling what you make.
Make every dollar work for you like its a gift, cause it is.
I work hard 5 or 6 days a week, and you know what, while frustration comes with customers, crappy cars that need more work, hard jobs, lack of information on how to work on a car.
BUT my job IS rewarding also, HIGHLY technical. And you know what, while it doesnt pay the ENORMOUS sums of cash some might believe are needed.
But its not.
Do what you like, be the best you can be, and write down where EVERY dollar goes, give it a name and a place and a job.
Pay cash for every minute of school, dont build a single penny of debt and become a millionaire over time.
But take this one piece of advice, if you want to work on cars, LEARN as much as you can, read trade magazines. If you read something about cars it will stay in your brain. I remember TSBs and Recalls I read in Motor Magazine from 20 yrs ago. Cars with issues, will rattle the my brain and I will eventually figure it out.
Figure out a tough car, I state "I Win!" . Got that from an guy I used to work with.
Beside all that I get to get on Santa tool truck every week and dream, and get too let my job finance some tools for my hobby.
And one day I will open my own shop.
AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE
Lee Abel

TonyHuntimer
05-05-2014, 06:57 AM
I just went back to re read what I wrote and you have a point it's just that I write this on my phone so it's a pain lol but no you are right thanks for the advice, also don't worry looking for constructive criticism to better myself

Nice! Being an automotive tech writer...my first thought was for you to learn how to use the period button. A poorly written application or resume will get tossed directly into the garbage.

:)
Tony Huntimer
TestCarDatabase

nine lives johnny
05-05-2014, 08:57 AM
my advice, isn't worth crap until you know who i am. I've work as a brake tech for some of the largest motorsport organisations in the country. I am going to disagree with everyone saying don't do it. instead i'm going to ask, what are your goals? figure those out first. after you got your goals put your head down, and reach your goal. It is the first and only priority. you will find a thousand voices saying that it is impossible, and only one or two that say it can be done.

For me i wanted to race, i wanted to go fast for a living. I took some classes at a local community college. i learned the basics. They had a big production, at the end of the semester. They invited a bunch of dealers, and one race team owner to talk to us about the next step. ie getting a job. all the car dealers had the same message, "yada yada, benefits, yada, yada, make money, vacation time". oddly none of it appealed to me. the one guy that owned a race team looked like john force, and sounded like him to. He got up on stage called all the car dealers snakes. he said "you won't get any of those benefit things working for me. but if you want to race, thats the way it's going to be." he went on "you'll give up every sat and sunday, the pay is awful, and you're going to miss alot of sleep. If you want to avoid working for snakes, get out of the shop and race then i'm your guy" i didn't apply with is company but at that moment all i wanted to do was go race.

I can bore you to death with how i got into the industry, but i'll give you the pointers.
- listen - everyone you met knows something that you don't. listen to them and double checked what you learned to make sure it's accurate.

- volunteer - find a shop that does what you want to do and work for free. you're going to pay for college might as well do some community service. you will be doing allot of sweeping and cleaning at first. but do it and do it right. if you can't do sweeping right you're never going to gain their trust to work on a car.

- don't work outside your ability - under promise and over deliver. if you don't know what you're doing say so. you can seriously hurt someone in this sport if you mess it up. when your asked to help on a car @ the shop your volunteering for it will be your break. do the job right the first time.you'll only get one chance.

- build it yourself - build something.. it doesnt matter if it's a classic or a pick up. just build it. this will work as a driving resume, so do it right. you'll learn 10x as much building it your self then you will building someone else's. When an employer sees it, they can instantly tell the quality of your work. build it right build it clean.

- relationships - Motorsports is 180% about relationships. the friends you make, and the people you know.

I know a guy who makes well over $100k, in debt up to his eye balls and doesnt know where too start to dig out.

hope that guy isn't your boss LOL!1

CarlC
05-06-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm in full agreement with Nick. The need for talented tradesmen is huge, far more than what the news media will tell you. Our educational system is built around sending everyone to college, but not everyone wants, or needs, to go. It is exceedingly frustrating to find skilled tradesmen that meet our needs.

If the engineering route does not work out then becoming a skilled tradesman is a very viable and honorable alternative. As someone who hires folks that have to deal with both people and machines, I offer the following:

1) Learn how to deal with people in a friendly and respectful manner, even if they are wrong.
2) Be self-motivated and don't wait for someone to tell you to do something. Make a list of to-do's.
3) Write in a neat, tidy, and professional manner at all times.
4) Never pull out your smartphone when the boss or customer is talking.
5) Find and heed a mentor.
6) Become an expert in your trade.

Note that only one of the above is technical. I can teach technical, but the others have to be a way of life. For any company to allow someone to tinker with millions of dollars in equipment requires a trust level far beyond technical know-how.

71maroesteban
05-06-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks you all for the help I've decided to get my associates through automotive and get more into trades. I've been taking welding lessons from my wielder and have recently gotten gotten into body work(body prep and painting), after making a pro and con list of going to school it's obvious to me I'll never be happy if I did something for the money. I truly love working with my hands and cars I might not make a 6 figure salary but I'll be truly happy being covered in grease and Turning a wrench :)