PDA

View Full Version : What tools have made your life easier

TA219
09-16-2005, 07:07 AM
There are so many tools out there that i dont have and every time i get a new one i wonder how i lived without it, I figured it would be cool to have a thread that shows some of these little miracles for those of us who dont have every tool in the world (yet) and what they are good for

my latest purchase was this stepped drill bit i picked up when i was buying drill bits https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif, this little sob makes drilling out spot welds much easier, just use a little drill bit to make the initial holes and use this to cut the entire weld out. much easier then using a bigger drill bit to cut the weld out (imo) cost was only $10

parsonsj
10-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Three tools come to mind for me:
1. Bandsaw. I can make all kinds of parts from flat stock far easier than in the past.
2. Cold saw. It cuts tube and bar with a precise cut without generating abrasive dust.
3. Bench belt sander. I use it to radius corners and straighten cuts in sheet metal.

CamaroAJ
10-13-2005, 07:50 AM
big hammers lol

B Schein
10-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Pry bars, and my hand held air powered belt sander, and don’t for get ratchet wrenches how did I ever live without them

slowcamaro
10-13-2005, 09:21 AM
electric impacts..some of us dont have room for a compressor and air tools:(

rolandska
10-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Burr king

CAMAROBOY69
10-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Electric grinder with cut off wheels. Since I dont have a torch or plasma cutter, I can cut anything I want with this. Then throw a grinding wheel in to smooth out anything that i need to. I could not live without a grinder. Imagine using a file or hand saw!! :doh:

Blaster11
10-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Plasma cutter has to be the coolest tool I own! :icon996: Makes short work of old floorpans and trimming the new ones.

Bruce

parsonsj
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
don’t forget ratchet wrenches how did I ever live without them
OK, that's it. I've been eyeing a set for awhile now. Now I gotta get 'em.

jp

ProStreet R/T
10-13-2005, 06:03 PM
notebook computer, makes tuning the engine (with standalone pcm) the greatest thing since turbos.

toxicz28
10-13-2005, 07:58 PM
My big Ingersoll Rand air compressor. I have to turn it down to 40 psi to use my 50lb pressure blaster now, and I still empty the tank in 10 minutes.

68BNUT
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I just did the 5-speed swap in my car and I NEVER would of got it with out a 36" extension!

Also my Rotozip makes for a handy little grinder and cutoff tool.

Nine Ball
10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
I have metric and standard Craftsman ratchet wrenches (the nicer quality line, polished bodies and reversible switch), and use them on almost everything now. Best tools ever!

Next favorite is my trusty MIG welder, and newly purchased TIG welder.

Jim Nilsen
10-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I can't say enough good things about my rotozip Revolution tool. It is a die grinder,polishing tool,cutoff tool, angle grinder, router,masonry tile cutter and other uses. The 5 amps it has is more powerful and less costly to operate than air tools and has a light to see your work.

Cordless drill. Dewalt 18 volt is unbeatable for what it has done on my car.

A big bench vise is something I couldn't live without.

Bandsaw,drillpress and beltsander/disc sander are priceless.

Clamps,clamps and more clamps of all sizes.

Hammers of all types and sizes.

Almost forgot my Sawsall, the cordless is a great one to have but I have both types. Couldn't have done so many things to the car so easily and fast without one.

A heavy steel work bench that weighs about 200lbs or more is nice to have.

Thats about it for me.

Andrew McBride
10-14-2005, 07:38 PM
1. Ear plugs, and safety glasses-I am already losing my hearing in my young age.
2. mini air grinder-not for sure the real name. It is a hand held little grinder, with plastic sanding like pads-works great for finding spot welds, and working in small areas.
3. Plasma Cutter-I honestly don't use much! but does work well!
4. Blasting Cabinet-I do not have one of these, but I am lucky enough to have a great friend who lets me come by and use his machine.
5. large steel 6x6 table with vise
6.Air ratchets, etc.
7.Air sanders-palm and large 6" and 8"
8. Drill press
9.Grinder and wire wheels
10. Mig welder (I would love to have a tig, maybe one day!)
11. Big Air compressor
12. Cut off wheel
These tools are pretty much my basic tools when working. Of course a good pry bar and hammer is needed on occasion for those stubborn rusted parts.

CDJr
10-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Does a rotisserie count as a tool, Nine? :rolleyes5 Cuz its definitely made my resto much easier. Next to that, Id hafta say my blastin cabinet, cuz Id probably STILL be cleanin parts if I wouldnt have made it when I first started tearin down my car lol.

69boo307
10-18-2005, 04:44 AM
1)Angle grinder w/cut off wheel. will cut/grind just about anything, and makes lots of cool sparks (watch out for your shirt though, it'll catch on fire!)

2)My Millermatic 175, opens new worlds of possibility when you can 'just weld that sucker up!'

3)A little spark plug tool I made out of a regular plug socket, for removing plugs on my angle plug heads with the headers on. Spark plug changes that did take 2 hours of cussing and losing skin, now take literally 5 minutes. If anyone's interested I can take a pic. This thing really is a lifesaver! slips on over the plug, and then you use a 3/4 box end wrench to turn it.

4)Another vote for the ratcheting wrenches!

Piet
10-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Air Compressor... and all that comes with it....

jw33
12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
rachet wrenches and the Millermatic 185 for those star bolts that hold seat belts in....

MrQuick
12-12-2005, 10:06 PM
hey Jim, I was waiting for the number to call with my credit card handy...LOL

shop press
compresser
air chisel
power shears

baz67
12-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Um, credit card. Does that count?

Rick Dorion
12-14-2005, 09:43 AM
A good assortment of extensions, universals and adapters for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2".
Set of crow's feet wrenches. Saved my knuckles on the steering box hoses.
Magnetic pickup tool

colt zantop
12-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I gotta agree ratchet wrenches!!! they rock!...... and my mig....

gmachinz
12-18-2005, 06:17 PM
I'd have to say a nice multimeter and an assortment of BFHers!! LOL

syborg tt
12-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Tire Mount Mate will be a tool i keep forever especially with it's cost

http://www.autowaretech4.net/mountmate.html

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Duesey
01-09-2006, 04:46 AM
Bend-Pak Full rise scissor lift hoist. (Excellent adjustable work bench)
Complete line of AFS sanders.
KarGrabber surface mount frame machine.
Spitznagel? Spot weld drill.
Martin hammers and dollies.
9" air grinder for metal finishing is a must have.
I think these are my favorite odd ball tools.

parsonsj
01-09-2006, 07:41 AM
I've got one of those 9" air grinders. I have to run both compressors to keep it fed, but that sucker will eat metal! I love the sound when it starts to spin up. It sounds a bit like a rocket engine.

jp

wiedemab
01-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I've been wanting one of the "mount mates", but just can't justify the price. I'd probably come closer to designing my own.

Other tools - Lincoln Mig and Tig

wendell
01-12-2006, 10:02 AM
my band saw and my TIG. Once I get a bridgeport I'm removing my self from society for good.

wiedemab
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Amen to that!

I want a mill so bad I can taste it. Just need to add on to the shop and find some money!

BonzoHansen
01-17-2006, 07:39 PM
A $7 test light. A $210 multi-meter.

PB Blaster.

My Delta compound mitre saw - but that's for the house. :) Damn thing is great.

PhillipM
02-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Lately it seems the fork lift has been my best friend! haha

Amen to the PB Blaster my friend!

Norm Peterson
02-04-2006, 08:58 AM
Electronic multi-meters and a scan tool
Laptop & Calmap software
Mig welder
Drill press
Chop saw
Any number of things I've made up for some specific use

Norm

sunkistcamaro
02-05-2006, 05:04 AM
A spot welding dent puller.

speedster
02-05-2006, 05:28 AM
Ratchet Wrenches. Absolutely saved me in so many tight spots.

Epoxy painted garage floor - hard to quantify, but great to have.

Big TV in garage. Gotta have Speed Channel on in the background, keeps the blood flowing. Big enough screen where you can see it from a distance.

wendell
02-07-2006, 07:58 AM
After spending the the weekened doing rockers and floor I have a new "best tool". Unfortunately it's the lowly spot weld cutter. Not near as glamorous as my tig or plasma or band saw, but it won a place in my heart this weeekend.

For the record, the next car I do will start as a pile of DOM and a five star skin. Not a ball of seam sealer/ undercoat stuck together with spot welds.

strangler
02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I wonder how I got along before buying a decent set of prybars 6 months ago. It seems like I use one or two of them every time Im in the garage.

Various sizes of c-clamps, vise grips, and lengths of 2x4's have saved the day numerous time while working alone. Sometimes you just dont have the extra hand that you need.

I really appreciate the sturdy, tall workbench that my uncle made for me as a housewarming gift.... I know that I would still be working on the ground planning to build one 'someday'

Along with the workbench is a good vise. I know I take it for granted because when I help friends in their shops and they dont have a large, solid chunk of steel in the corner.... I wonder how they get anything built.

Tools were a wonderful invention.

phoenixdawg
02-09-2006, 07:06 AM
agree on the bench, I too worked on the ground, however this Christamas I went to Sears Hardware and bought a workbench with some drawers for storage. I also bought the back wall and an $8 flouorescent light. This was a great investment. I was able to mount my bench grinder and my vise to the bench and now I actually have a place to some work.