PDA

View Full Version : engine builders, i'm curious to see what you think of this...

formula
09-15-2005, 08:05 PM
so i know there's been a lot of discussion about what kind of power "streetable" big inch engines can make around here, and i don't want to get into that at all. i'm just curious about some opinions.

yes, i realize this is like performing "singin in the rain" in a minefield.

do you guys think that a carbureted all-aluminum 454 could make 20 inches of idle vacuum and idle at 750 rpm and make 500 honest horsepower and 500 honest pound-feet of torque after drivetrain losses on 91 octane without knock if built correctly?

do you think it could do more?

i'm just curious about the best way to meet my performace goals, i guess...

yody
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Possibly, but your vacuum demands might be a little strict, and you realize 500HP at the wheels is like 600hp at the crank. My 468 has a pretty big cam in it and idles at 900, but a large part of that is due to it being a roller. It would be much much easier to do this with a bigger motor. If you are going all aluminum I don't see any reason why not to go with a larger motor, the price difference won't be much. In fact with a 540 you could do this Very easily, and you would probably have more power. This should also be in the engine section. I'll post some more later, going out on the town.

formula
09-15-2005, 08:27 PM
you're right it should be in engines...

i have my reasons for wanting to stay 454 or smaller though.

yes im aware that 500 at the wheels is around 600 at the crank. the 20 inches of vacuum isnt really necessary, i just wanted to stress that i want this motor to be mind-numbingly mild mannered. i've never built a really big inch motor though, so i figured my goals might be a little less than realistic.

MuscleRodz
09-15-2005, 09:24 PM
It would be much easier to accomplish with and FI setup. Nelson Racing Engines has been putting out some big inch FI TT engines making stupid hp running on pump gas. Twinstings 434 comes to mind but not sure if it is on pump gas though. 1500 hp, 700 rpm idle.

Mike

yody
09-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I was thinking and the best way to meet your goals and exceed them would to be to go with a forced induction setup. Yes you could make close to 600 hp with some decent parts selection and EXCELLENT heads, with smaller ports with good velocity. If you truly want a powerful motor but vacuum and drivablity are a must then dont necessarily have an exact assumption on HP. If you built a strong BBC and had 550hp and 550ilbs of torque you would LOVE it. Especially with a nice flat torque curve and really good street manners. HOwever to get 600hp out of a 454 and get such good manners and vacuum the easiest way would be to slap a supercharger on it. FI will help you get the engine more in tune and will give it better drivability and more reliable in hot/cold but it isn't in fact necessary to get the vacuum and idle and smoothness, as long as you have a well blueprinted carburetor which you can "buy" these days.

You could build yourself a nice 468 with some brodix oval port heads(maybe even worked over, an RPM intake, a solid flat tappet, or possilby a hydro roller(another topic, they are RPM limited in a BBC) with mid 240/250 duration, 10.5-1 compression and some 1 7/8" headers. This would not give you the 20 inches of vacuum, and it might wnat to idle at 850rpm but you would have a smooth, 550hp street motor, that would pull to 6,000rpm and have good torque(this would probably blow most of the "average" Sbc's away

yody
09-16-2005, 02:17 AM
woops