PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - my '68 camaro project

Mike_M
09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Hello everyone, I've been a bit of a lurker for some time on here, finally decided to register and post pics of my project. It's a '68 camaro I've had for about 6 years. Progress has been pretty slow, for the past year or so it's just been sitting in my garage. I'm really getting the bug to get working on it again, and I've picked up quite a bit of information off of this site. My basic plans for it probably don't qualify it as a true pro-touring car, I'd say more of a resto-mod with some pro-touring influences. It will be Lemans blue (the original colour) with white Z/28 stripes. I'd like to get either 17" Torque Thrust II's or 18" Boyd Coddington Smoothies - actually I'd prefer some colorado customs or billet specialties, but the finances will be stretched far enough for the TT II's... I was planning on the Hotchkis TVS system, but after reading some threads on here I'm not sure anymore, seems to be a lot of options out there. The basic intent for the car is just to cruise around on the weekends, maybe the odd cruise night or car show, nothing too demanding. It's got a mild, streetable 427 that's all brand new but has been sitting for a while, a rebuilt TH400 tranny, and a 10 bolt rear end with multi-leafs that needs to be completely rebuilt. It's not in the same league as most of the other cars on here, and likely never will be, but here are the pictures anyway... thanks a lot to you all for all the information I've already picked up, and I'm sure I'll pick up a lot more in the future. Awesome site!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/CamaroSept_05_10-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/CamaroSept_05_12-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/CamaroSept_05_3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/CamaroSept_05_9-1.jpg

And this is what it looked like when I bought it... not quite sure what I was thinking... pretty much every piece of sheet metal has been replaced since then
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/Camaro_Sept_99-1.jpg

dropit69
09-15-2005, 06:33 PM
very cool mike..you saved another one from the crusher thats what you did..the whole rear of mine needs replaced so im in same boat..but itll be worth it ..and welcome..

Mike_M
09-15-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks! At least the rear frame rails and 99% of the floors were good in mine, those were just about it's only redeeming features. I'd say it was pretty close to the crusher there before I started.. it's a long way from it now, but still a long way from the street too! Thanks for the welcome!

ViperBlue68
09-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Welcome to the site mike! :cheers: looks like your off to a great start!! why the color change not happy with the black?

Bill68fbrd
09-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Go with the custom wheels once you start youll never stop
welcome and good luck :drive:

BILL

derekf
09-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Welcome to the site, Mike.

68BNUT
09-16-2005, 05:27 AM
:drool: dig the 427!!

Mike_M
09-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys! J.T., the black was never intended as a final paint, it was just sprayed on quickly to protect the sheet metal while the rest of the work is being done to the car, then the car will go back to the body shop to be dissassembled again and painted the correct colour. Also the theory was any imperfections in the bodywork would be highlighted by the black paint (and there are a few!) I checked out your car pics on your link there, your camaro is awesome. I was originally intending to go with Viper blue myself, but decided to go with the original Lemans blue instead. Looking at your pictures has me second guessing myself.

colt zantop
09-16-2005, 10:03 AM
awesome car to start with. you picked the right year ! :)

jy211
09-16-2005, 10:09 AM
welcome...we all have to start with something. Glad you saved another from the crusher! And I agree...you have the best year! :naughty:

ViperBlue68
09-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys! J.T., the black was never intended as a final paint, it was just sprayed on quickly to protect the sheet metal while the rest of the work is being done to the car, then the car will go back to the body shop to be dissassembled again and painted the correct colour. Also the theory was any imperfections in the bodywork would be highlighted by the black paint (and there are a few!) I checked out your car pics on your link there, your camaro is awesome. I was originally intending to go with Viper blue myself, but decided to go with the original Lemans blue instead. Looking at your pictures has me second guessing myself.

Mike,
Thanks....its a never endeing project as well....I like the lemans blue alot too...my original choice was hugger orange with the white stripes but when I saw the Viper Blue in the sunlight I had to do it...the pics really dont do the color justice....it has to be seen in the sunlight in person....anyway u go I'm sure it will look sweet...cant really go wrong with a first gen imho.....

Ralph LoGrasso
09-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the site :).

Mike_M
09-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'm glad I ended up with a '68. I've wanted a first gen camaro since I was about 12 or 13, I'm 30 now. Originally I wanted a '69, but I'm finding I like the lines of the '68 more, seems simpler and cleaner somehow. I'm not overly fond of the quarter windows or grill of the '67, so in my humble, very biased opinion, the '68 is the best:icon996:

rockdogz
09-16-2005, 01:52 PM
the '68 is the best

Amen!

Welcome, you've got a nice looking project there...

Jims78elky
09-16-2005, 02:27 PM
A diamond in the rough!

Welcome to the site,lots of great help and members here to
give advise when ya need it!

Enjoy,

-Jim

Mike_M
09-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks! Wow, some of the projects you guys are doing are simply mind blowing... I checked out the "Project Fantom" and your website, Rockdogz, I'm speechless...