PDA

View Full Version : Gas cap leak on acceleration

cad
09-15-2005, 06:00 PM
My 1968 Camaro's gas cap allows fuel past it during hard acceleration.
My setup requires the stock/vented type of cap.
I am not going to sump the tank or put a fuel cell in it.
Does anyone have any solutions for preventing, or minimizing this with the stock setup?
It isn't a gush, just enough that it gets on the paint and rr bumper, and a little hits the ground.

novaman_68
09-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Is there any kind of gasket on the cap? I'll bet either the gasket is missing or it is going on crooked (kinda crossthreading) I had a heck of a time with my Nova doing that, it was easier to get the cap on crooked than straight.
Just a few suggestions to try before doing this again :3gears:

cad
09-16-2005, 02:55 PM
It is an SS stock cap.
It has a gasket, but there is no "threading" involved.
The fuel neck is different than a Nova, and, I believe, up higher.

tripower
09-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I had the same problem with my Goat. I replaced the cap with a new replacement and the problem went away. I think the original cap just wasn't sealing correctly anymore. Mine was the "notch and twist" style of cap.

Bigblue73
09-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Tri-Power is correct. Replace the cap and it should go away.

PRO TC
09-16-2005, 09:31 PM
sometimes the filler neck gets worn down so when you put on the cap it not tight enough.check the neck if the cap is ok.

barry

ss dave
10-21-2005, 06:31 AM
i have the same problem with my 69 camaro, talked to Ricks 1st Gen and he said that was inherant with that tank set up. I tried changing the gasket but it built up too much pressure and affected my engine. It was a hi 80's day and the vapor would cause misfire and poor idle. Several solutions are available, don't fill up all the way with the stock cap, don't drive on warm to hot days with a good sealing cap, lol!!! Seriously, tho, a solution I've found is to vent the tank, I'm doing that with a different sending unit that has two hose connections, it is a stock unit that was available on some models. I'm also going to try two different replacement caps to see if they leak, if they do I'll stay with my stock cap/ larger gasket.

CAMAROBOY69
10-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Yes you need to check the condition of the filler tube. My 69 had a major major problem with this. I just replaced the entire tank with a fuel cell a couple days ago in preparation of my viper exhaust. :secret: No more leaks now.
Yeah anyway check that tube. If the tube is screwed, get another stock tank.