PDA

View Full Version : Primer on Powdercoat Parts

brgarris
03-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Body shop got primer overspray on my DSE powercoated lower control arms. Aint real happy, but what do you do when the body shop gave you a dang headache the entire time anyways. The overspray is not horrible, but anything less than perfect bothers me. I am assuming if I get the primer overspray off I can simply buff the shine back on the powdercoat. Any recommendation on how to remove the primer? You can buff the shine back on the powdercoat correct?

minendrews68
03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
You can buff most powder coat, if the overspray isn't too bad I would try using a lacquer thinner rag and make quick strokes and not let it sit too long. I've done this on some of my powder coated parts. Take your time and be careful though. I think, your going to be fine..

raustinss
03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Try using a clay car, used one on my Cadillac for overspray...it worked
Ryan Austin

andrewb70
03-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Powder coating is incredibly resistant to just about any chemicals. Try mineral spirits. Once the overspray is off, follow up with windex.

Andrew

2001 Pewter WS6
03-26-2014, 03:41 AM
I do powder coating and if you have gloss black, try clay bar first. Laquer thinner wil leave surface marks. If the clay bar doesn't work, use a product called GON. You can get it at a paint supply store. Apply a small amount on the rag and wipe the overspray off. It also works great for getting yellow road line paint off your inner fender wells and body.