PDA

View Full Version : New Holley 302-2 Oil pan with Ridetech tru-turn?

paulgurley
03-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I am in the process of doing an ls2 swap into my 1968 camaro. and I have all ridetech suspension in the front except for the tru-turn which I plan on buying in the future.

I called Holley today and they did not know for sure that the new 302-2 pan would fit with the tru-turn.

And I called ridetech and they used the holley kit on their 48hour camaro and it worked with their tru-turn but I'm pretty sure it was the older 302-1 oil pan because the car was built a couple years ago

Here is a link to the dimensions of the 2 oil Pans: http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/302-1_302-2Comp1.jpg

Has anyone used the new holley 302-2 oil pan with the tru-turn yet? Or know if there will be enough clearance

regal454
03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
Read this:

http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707895

paulgurley
03-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Read this:

http://m.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1707895

Thanks it looks like they're getting close to figuring something out.

Toddoky
03-19-2014, 06:54 AM
I am in the process of doing an ls2 swap into my 1968 camaro. and I have all ridetech suspension in the front except for the tru-turn which I plan on buying in the future.

I called Holley today and they did not know for sure that the new 302-2 pan would fit with the tru-turn.

And I called ridetech and they used the holley kit on their 48hour camaro and it worked with their tru-turn but I'm pretty sure it was the older 302-1 oil pan because the car was built a couple years ago

Here is a link to the dimensions of the 2 oil Pans: http://www.holley.com/data/products/pictures/302-1_302-2Comp1.jpg

Has anyone used the new holley 302-2 oil pan with the tru-turn yet? Or know if there will be enough clearance

The 48-Hour Camaro was put together with the original 302-1 Holley pan, which has a sump that is 2" shorter than the new Holley 302-2 pan. The 302-1 pan fits with the Ride Tech TruTurn system but does not clear the engine crossmember on a 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova and allow optimized engine inclination/ U-joint working angles to be achieved without notching the engine crossmember. Some users have gotten that pan in by stacking washers/shims under the frame stands, but that exercise works against achieving the just mentioned optimized engine inclination/U-joint angles. The new Holley 302-2 pan was designed in conjunction with the new Hooker swap parts for 1st-gens and provides flawless bolt-in installation in these applications. When you throw the TruTurn system components into the mix, it's been verified by a couple of guys now that you will more than likely have slight interference issues between the TruTurn drag link adapter and the Holley 302-2 pan and the inner tie rod end and one header tube on the passenger side of the car. There are various possible ways to provide compatibility between the new Hooker parts and the Ride Tech parts as I see it...some of these would be:

1.) Modify the single header tube that is experiencing the interference
2.) Notch the front sump corners of the new Holley 302-2 pan slightly to gain clearance for the TruTurn components
3.) Notch the engine crossmember to allow installation of the original Holley 302-1 pan with the new Hooker swap components
4.) Use the Mast Motorsports pan with the Hooker swap components

paulgurley
03-19-2014, 11:00 PM
The 48-Hour Camaro was put together with the original 302-1 Holley pan, which has a sump that is 2" shorter than the new Holley 302-2 pan. The 302-1 pan fits with the Ride Tech TruTurn system but does not clear the engine crossmember on a 1st-gen F-body/3rd-gen Nova and allow optimized engine inclination/ U-joint working angles to be achieved without notching the engine crossmember. Some users have gotten that pan in by stacking washers/shims under the frame stands, but that exercise works against achieving the just mentioned optimized engine inclination/U-joint angles. The new Holley 302-2 pan was designed in conjunction with the new Hooker swap parts for 1st-gens and provides flawless bolt-in installation in these applications. When you throw the TruTurn system components into the mix, it's been verified by a couple of guys now that you will more than likely have slight interference issues between the TruTurn drag link adapter and the Holley 302-2 pan and the inner tie rod end and one header tube on the passenger side of the car. There are various possible ways to provide compatibility between the new Hooker parts and the Ride Tech parts as I see it...some of these would be:

1.) Modify the single header tube that is experiencing the interference
2.) Notch the front sump corners of the new Holley 302-2 pan slightly to gain clearance for the TruTurn components
3.) Notch the engine crossmember to allow installation of the original Holley 302-1 pan with the new Hooker swap components
4.) Use the Mast Motorsports pan with the Hooker swap components

So with the Mast pan everything clears?

Toddoky
03-20-2014, 05:49 AM
So with the Mast pan everything clears?
Using the Mast pan will provide the clearance between the pan and TruTurn components, but you will still need to modify the one header tube slightly on the Hooker long tubes, or you could go with the Hooker mid- length headers.

paulk68
03-20-2014, 08:35 AM
Using the Mast pan will provide the clearance between the pan and TruTurn components, but you will still need to modify the one header tube slightly on the Hooker long tubes, or you could go with the Hooker mid- length headers.

So if you use the mid lenght headers you will be good? are there any major advantages to the full lenght header compared to the mid length??

Toddoky
03-20-2014, 10:42 AM
So if you use the mid lenght headers you will be good? are there any major advantages to the full lenght header compared to the mid length??
You will certainly be sacrificing ultimate potential power gains to run the mid-length headers compared to the long tubes, the actual amount will depend on the build of your individual engine but a 10 to 30 HP difference is not uncommon.

paulk68
03-21-2014, 05:01 AM
You will certainly be sacrificing ultimate potential power gains to run the mid-length headers compared to the long tubes, the actual amount will depend on the build of your individual engine but a 10 to 30 HP difference is not uncommon.

But it still has to be an imporvement over the stock manifolds a crate engine engine comes with right?

Toddoky
03-21-2014, 05:18 AM
But it still has to be an imporvement over the stock manifolds a crate engine engine comes with right?
That is correct in most cases with the exception of some of the Corvette manifolds. The important point to make is that they will out perform any stock manifolds that will actually fit your car; the location of the steering box prevents most of them from fitting.

cwylie
03-21-2014, 05:21 AM
I will say the 302-2 pan cleared the RideTech steering on my car but just. If your car was slightly different than mine you may have to modify the oil pan. If you dont want to dimple/modify the long tube header as much you can run the 5.8 inch pitman arm off a 67 Camaro.

Here is a ton of info on the setup.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1707895-new-hooker-holley-1st-gen-parts-compatibility-ridetech-truturn.html

jonjonw
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Realizing this is an old thread, but as more of us guys are still looking for the "what will work" answer, it's still a bit elusive. Now that the 302-3 pan is out, does this solve the issue of the tie rod end just missing the pan. Does it give a bit more clearance? Needing to get may pan soon, and would like to keep it all Holley LS conversion pieces, but will go Mast if I have to.

Z06vet
03-31-2018, 04:56 AM
I am running all the new holley swap mounts/headers/crossmember (6 speed) and 302-2 pan with the tru turn setup. It clears with no interference for me.

oleyeller
03-31-2018, 06:46 AM
I'm just curious, How far below does the 302-2 pan hang down below the front crossmember with the Hoiley mount system?

Z06vet
03-31-2018, 07:39 AM
Its about an inch below I'd say. Its near dead level with the tru-turn bracket

OregonianNova
04-07-2018, 10:49 AM
So with most people that have clearance issues with the Holley pan, is it just the ends of the bolts making contact at full lock? Or is it the upper portion of the bracket?

Rod
04-07-2018, 08:36 PM
I use the Jegs swap pan and pick up tube on all my LS swaps the pan has built in trap doors and AN 10 fittings for remote oil filter
fit well, doesn't hang below the crossmember and the tru-turn fits

www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/50228/10002/-1

piratebaseball
04-16-2018, 10:43 AM
I am running the Champs pan on mine with the Tru Turn and do not have any clearance issues with the rest of the Holley system. I couldn't use the Holley pan because my stroke was too big :)

Corey R.
07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
You might want to read through this completely and verify with Ridetech.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1707895-new-hooker-holley-1st-gen-parts-compatibility-ridetech-truturn-10.html