PDA

View Full Version : what are the fittings on the waterpump for?

Camaro_Dan
09-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Well I found this waterpump for sale but I can't figure out what all those fittings are for! It comes from a NASCAR team but I don't know what use a NASCAR team would have of all those fittings either.

Can anyone please tell me? or give me sugestions, maybe anyone has an idea on what I can use them for?

here is the picture:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

thanks

Camaro_Dan
09-15-2005, 03:44 PM
come on, someone has to know :D

CoryM
09-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Pretty sure its for when they have their radiator air inlet taped off for faster lap times.
The spare lines go to an ice box and keeps the engine cool long enough to qualify. Top 2 hoses probably go to the front of heads though.
Not a nascar guy though so I could be wrong.

porschev8
09-16-2005, 05:04 PM
The three AN fittings on the top of the pump are inlets, and the lower two AN fittings are outlets (blue). You can plug them off but be sure to drill a couple 1/8" bypass holes in the thermostat.

The blue AN fittings are connected to the rear freeze plugs on the Left and Right side of the engine block.

-Tim

Camaro_Dan
09-17-2005, 02:00 AM
how would one connect AN lines to the rear freezeplugs? an the top three AN inlets, what would hook up to them? 1/8" bypass holes? why is that? sorry I'm pretty novice at this.

Thanks Tim!

nancejd
09-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I believe it is to send coolant directly to the heads.

porschev8
09-18-2005, 07:50 PM
how would one connect AN lines to the rear freezeplugs? an the top three AN inlets, what would hook up to them? 1/8" bypass holes? why is that? sorry I'm pretty novice at this.

Thanks Tim!

The two smaller AN fittings located on the top of the pump connect to the back of the intake manifold to increase flow. You will not need to use them.
Here's a picture of the freeze plug adapter. You won't need these either.

This is a Stewart Components Thermostat with a bypass hole drilled in the side.

porschev8
09-19-2005, 10:50 AM
I believe it is to send coolant directly to the heads.

The purpose for the small lines is to increase coolant flow at the back of heads. Coolant is exiting the engine at that point rather than entering.

Camaro_Dan
09-20-2005, 03:32 AM
ok thanks! they are however very cool looking :D I know I don't need these things but they would look great.

chicane67
09-20-2005, 07:40 PM
The fittings on the side (blue) are for running a 'reverse flow' set up on the older style cooling systems of the 1st and second generation engines. Which was adopted in the 3rd generation and later engines due to the innitial ideal's success in better cooling capability. Basically, the theroy proved to work as it was tested in Nascar in the late 80's / early 90's.

porschev8
09-22-2005, 12:43 AM
The fittings on the side (blue) are for running a 'reverse flow' set up on the older style cooling systems of the 1st and second generation engines. Which was adopted in the 3rd generation and later engines due to the innitial ideal's success in better cooling capability. Basically, the theroy proved to work as it was tested in Nascar in the late 80's / early 90's.

Are you sure about that chicane?
I thought I understood how the Chevy water pump worked but maybe I'm missing something?
And I believe Chevrolet did away with the reverse flow cooling almost a decade ago (1996)? Reverse flow LT1 engines were only produced for about 5 years before they went back to the conventional flow system on the LS1 engine in 1997.

.....somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Tim

Kenova
09-23-2005, 07:19 PM
:hmm: I'll take a shot at those fittings on the side. I have seen endurance type engines use a similar setup to provide extra coolant to the centre exhaust valve seats (cylinders 3/5 and 4/6). When you think about it, a lot of heat would build up in this area. Another fitting is tapped into the head and aimed at the seats to give them some cooler coolant. :dunno:
Hey, it sounds good to me.
Ken

chicane67
09-23-2005, 07:51 PM
There were various set ups using external fittings on the pump arms. It was first used in a reverse flow idea that Smokey dreamed up years ago. BUT, its primary objective was to cool the jacket in between 3,5 and 4,6..... as Kenova mentioned above. All of this was linked to the developement of the EMP Stewart 'reverse flow' pump back in the early, early 90's that had the impellar cartridge loaded from the front of the pump.

There were also designs that pumped coolant into the top of the cylinder head and then it exited thru the bottom...... as well as vice-versa.

Only upon that research/development did GM try to incoorporate it into a production system. Of course, we all see how long the "LT" engine series lasted.....

68Formula
02-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I was doing a search for cooling ideas (hooking up coolant lines to the rear) and came across this. Just wanted to set the record straight. GM had used reverse cooling as early as 1955 in production.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_V8_engine

rickk
02-03-2008, 09:38 AM
they are to bleed air out of the cooling system.
rick k