PDA

View Full Version : Tom's 1969 Charger by BonesFab. This ought to upset some purists..

bonesfab
03-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Hello. We are building 1969 Dodge Charger for a customer. He found this in a garage in the San Fernando valley while he was driving around one day. It is a semi rare car from my understanding as it has a factory power sunroof. It was a 383 automatic car to start with.. a/c, power windows. A rather well optioned car.. Well we are going the pro-touring route with it now.. It will have a Vortech blown 500 c.I. wedge motor, Tremec tko-600, Riley Motorsports alterkation front suspension, mini tubbed with a Bonesfab 4-link, and all the rest of the pro-touring goodies..

SAFASTRO
03-17-2014, 08:27 AM
You've peaked my interest!!

I'll definitely be watching this one.

HellPhish89
03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
https://www.pro-touring.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=91979&stc=1&d=1395069413

going with german camo i see..lol. sounds like a pretty stout build :D

bonecrrusher
03-17-2014, 01:37 PM
This ought to piss that guy off @ Graveyard Cars.

JHunter
03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Did someone mud over the sunroof? That's crazy!

Damn True
03-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Leopard spots FTW!

bonesfab
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
It came out of the San Fernando valley.. It looks like the gipsy body guys gave it a shot..

going with german camo i see..lol. sounds like a pretty stout build :D

bonesfab
03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes that is bondo with minimal hardener filling in the sunroof..

mmosley
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Probably left over junk from the vinyl top. I think all the '68-'70 Chargers had vinyl tops.

CampbellshotrodsAZ
03-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Don't think anyone here would be upset, I know at least for me, I'd be impressed if you can get everything to fit well and smooth with that sunroof! That vinyl covered a lot of sins with that system.

Dave B
03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Looks like it's a bondo bucket :). Stock restored cars are boring.

bonesfab
03-17-2014, 03:53 PM
I will agree with you on both points.. It only took one new quarter, door skin, both front fenders and a hood to get it back into reasonable shape..

Looks like it's a bondo bucket :). Stock restored cars are boring.

jlcustomz
03-17-2014, 07:44 PM
:headbang:I tuned in partly because of mention of upsetting some purists. Well , & the words 69 charger & bones fab

DTM Racing
03-17-2014, 09:24 PM
I'd rethink the RMS stuff. Great for a drag car, not for handling.

Motorcitydak
03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Cool build, that sunroof is for sure rare as hen's teeth. Some may get upset but I'd bet that no one will get too bent out of shape about it. Mostly you are doing things that could be undone by a future owner if they wanted it back to stock. If they really want to get upset, send them my way!

MichaelUser
03-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Great looking car I just love that color. Sounds like a great build. Build it as you want let the purists worry about build sheets...
I am not sure why or what, but Chargers, Mustangs and Camaro's all got the hack-job-hokie builds during their life especially in the 70's and this Charger definitely had a better life.
I am a Mopar dude and at least you are saving it. Make sure it's fast and built well.

72BBSwinger
03-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I dont understand why people think its not a "build" until they ditch the factory front suspension layout? I love Mopars and all I think they need is DRIVEN, and I dont care if they get cut up either. Just dont put a freakin LS engine in the thing when there are far better Mopar engines available.

Bonehead
03-18-2014, 01:39 PM
I absolutely freakin love that body style. If I were to ever build a mopar, that would be on the top of my list. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I dont understand why people think its not a "build" until they ditch the factory front suspension layout? I love Mopars and all I think they need is DRIVEN, and I dont care if they get cut up either. Just dont put a freakin LS engine in the thing when there are far better Mopar engines available.

Ok! I'll bite. Name one better mopar option to the LS.

72BBSwinger
03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
I absolutely freakin love that body style. If I were to ever build a mopar, that would be on the top of my list. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Ok! I'll bite. Name one better mopar option to the LS.easy, any Gen III Hemi can be built to destroy an LS in naturally aspirated form. Ever read an Engine Masters article? You think that BES Hemi was a fluke? How about David Barton? The LS is a cheap plentiful engine that can handle more boost with stock pistons, sorry bowtie boys but that is where the advantage ends. Just because the little Hemi hasn't been embraced by the aftermarket like the LS doesn't give it a disadvantage.

Bonehead
03-18-2014, 05:58 PM
easy, any Gen III Hemi can be built to destroy an LS in naturally aspirated form. Ever read an Engine Masters article? You think that BES Hemi was a fluke? How about David Barton? The LS is a cheap plentiful engine that can handle more boost with stock pistons, sorry bowtie boys but that is where the advantage ends. Just because the little Hemi hasn't been embraced by the aftermarket like the LS doesn't give it a disadvantage.

Because the Chrysler products hasn't been embraced by the swap folks makes it A MASSIVE disadvantage. Doing a like mopar vs LS swap will cost at least five time more. NA to NA. boosted to boosted? The LS kills a gen whatever hemi hands down. No one makes the same choices for product that the LS offers or even remotely.

Far better mopar options? Not even close. The only thing that makes a mopar swap a better option is the cool factor. But you're going to killed in the wallet doing it. I'd LOVE to see another alternative to the LS. But the ford or Chrysler isn't near as attractive right now and probably ever.

bonesfab
03-18-2014, 06:05 PM
It is funny you mention the Ls swap in a Chrysler.. We are taking the Cuda we are doing for Mcleod to the big show in Pomona this weekend. We were going to drop a Ls9 in it we have laying around just to stir some ***** up.. It just didn't fit right and I did not want to re-engineer the wheel for the weekend..

72BBSwinger
03-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Because the Chrysler products hasn't been embraced by the swap folks makes it A MASSIVE disadvantage. Doing a like mopar vs LS swap will cost at least five time more. NA to NA. boosted to boosted? The LS kills a gen whatever hemi hands down. No one makes the same choices for product that the LS offers or even remotely.

Far better mopar options? Not even close. The only thing that makes a mopar swap a better option is the cool factor. But you're going to killed in the wallet doing it. I'd LOVE to see another alternative to the LS. But the ford or Chrysler isn't near as attractive right now and probably ever.
Show me a 426 cube LS making 870hp N/A with factory heads. I dont want to hear about how much aftermarket support and how cheap an LS can be built, show me a case where they make more power without forced induction. Heck even the idiots at Indy cylinder head can build one making 720hp on 93 octane with FACTORY HEADS.

raustinss
03-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Ok let's just quit the bitching over hemi vs ls....the ls is a amazing platform and the auto community has embraced it because it's cheap...powerful and very reliable. A hemi could pump huge power but won't have the reliability we all know that. I'll take a 600hp ls over a 870hp hemi...because I know 5 yrs from now it will still be together. Now let's quit stealing someone thread and let the man put a god damn lawnmower engine in it if he likes. It's his car...if you don't agree go get your own

Please keep us updated with the car....good luck with the sunroof
Ryan Austin

bonesfab
03-19-2014, 06:32 AM
I think we are going to need all the luck we can find on the sunroof. They did not work well back then..

Ok let's just quit the bitching over hemi vs ls....the ls is a amazing platform and the auto community has embraced it because it's cheap...powerful and very reliable. A hemi could pump huge power but won't have the reliability we all know that. I'll take a 600hp ls over a 870hp hemi...because I know 5 yrs from now it will still be together. Now let's quit stealing someone thread and let the man put a god damn lawnmower engine in it if he likes. It's his car...if you don't agree go get your own

Please keep us updated with the car....good luck with the sunroof
Ryan Austin

GeoffP
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I'd rethink the RMS stuff. Great for a drag car, not for handling.

Check out Eric Wracker's Duster - it'll make a believer out of you. I've ridden in it and seen Eric produce times up there with the big boys using RMS' parts.

HellPhish89
03-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Show me a 426 cube LS making 870hp N/A with factory heads. I dont want to hear about how much aftermarket support and how cheap an LS can be built, show me a case where they make more power without forced induction. Heck even the idiots at Indy cylinder head can build one making 720hp on 93 octane with FACTORY HEADS.

are we counting heavily ported LS7 factory heads?

this one is with ported oems. 709 rwhp. around 800 flywheel. pump gas. not bad when the mopar engine you speak of has had a ~50 year head start.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/17543097-post1.html

72BBSwinger
03-19-2014, 04:10 PM
are we counting heavily ported LS7 factory heads?

this one is with ported oems. 709 rwhp. around 800 flywheel. pump gas. not bad when the mopar engine you speak of has had a ~50 year head start.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/17543097-post1.html
Im talking about the NEW Hemi designed and put in production in 2003 dude. Technically the LS has a 4 year head start on it.

DTM Racing
03-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Check out Eric Wracker's Duster - it'll make a believer out of you. I've ridden in it and seen Eric produce times up there with the big boys using RMS' parts.

We setup a car with RMS front and Ridetech rear, Arrington 426, 480ish rwhp 3rd Gen Hemi. After owner drove our Hotchkis equipped cars, he wish he hadn't bought the RMS stuff.