PDA

View Full Version : Attn scott fx

vette427-sbc
03-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Or any other electronic gurus:
I have a Viper remote start/ alarm system that has a programmable run-timer on the remote start. I can set it for 12, 24 or 60 minute run time. I would really like to eliminate the run time all together if possible? Directed electronics (Viper) says no, but I have to assume its possible with some clever programming?

hessdawg
03-16-2014, 11:32 PM
So you don't want a remote start to be possible at all?

vette427-sbc
03-17-2014, 10:25 AM
No, I would like to be able to run it until I want turn it off.

hessdawg
03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
More than an hour??

vette427-sbc
03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Im trying to create a simple push start system using a nissan PTS switch and a remote start system. The nissan switch will pulse the remote start activation wire and start the car. Pulse it again and it shuts off. If I can get the remote start to run as long as I want, it makes the whole setup extremely simple to wire.
For $200 I will have a PTS with engine sensing start, lock-out when armed, keyless entry/alarm and the capability to use all of the other directed electronics add ons (GPS tracking, remote shut down, etc...)

hessdawg
03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Ah
Yes I looked in to doing the same thing last year
The best I could figure out is using a 611t triggered by the push button to keep the relays triggered

scott_fx
03-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Im trying to create a simple push start system using a nissan PTS switch and a remote start system. The nissan switch will pulse the remote start activation wire and start the car. Pulse it again and it shuts off. If I can get the remote start to run as long as I want, it makes the whole setup extremely simple to wire.
For $200 I will have a PTS with engine sensing start, lock-out when armed, keyless entry/alarm and the capability to use all of the other directed electronics add ons (GPS tracking, remote shut down, etc...)

thought about doing exactly this for my boat. I think all you need is a latching relay or two and some diodes to protect from reverse voltage. i'll have to dive into the exactly how the remote starter works but it should be pretty simple

lets see..
it has a relay that needs to stay on.. acc mode. that'll need a latching relay
then there is a relay that just needs to crank, that one you wouldn't touch.
then there is a 3rd relay for the 'on' mode. and that one would need a latching relay.

you want it to initiate the start up procedure from the viper unit when you press the button. which will latch the relays. then you'll need to press the button a second time to release the two latching relays. trick is you don't want to have the button latching the relays during start up... i'm on my 8th day at work and just passed 100 hours... my mind is a bit fried. i need a minute to think about this :) i know it can be done with just relays though... just need a bit of logic. on the flip side, this could be pretty easy to build with a microcontroller :)

i'll get back to you...

vette427-sbc
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the input!
I have it figured out with the latching relay (going in a '55 chevy, so only ignition, no acc) but it would be much cleaner/easier to do without.
I was hoping the remote start uses some kind of microcontroller that could be "hacked" into. Everything is there to make it perfect for a PTS retrofit except the timer.

scott_fx
03-17-2014, 07:18 PM
hmm.... i dont think it could be hacked into easily. but you could piggy back a microcontroller to the system and have it be pretty clean. would only need a relay board and an arduino. <$30

hessdawg
03-22-2014, 11:54 AM
I gotta learn more about these arduinos

scott_fx
03-22-2014, 12:06 PM
I gotta learn more about these arduinos

they are awesome to learn on and they have a huge community when you hit a snag.