PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean up my "new" 3rd member

RobM
09-09-2004, 11:51 AM
well i just got a new chevy 10 bolt (8.5 inch ring gear) it has posi and richmond 4.10 gearing my question is whats the best way to get the many years of road grime/NAPA under coating off? should i get the whole thing hot tanked, degreased, or what? i want it to look brand new and profesionaly done, i need it to be clean enough to paint.

TurboLark
09-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Try spraying it down with engine degreaser, then agitating it with a stiff bristle brush. Anything left you can hit with a wire brush, brake cleaner, and a torch(if it's really being stubborn, burn it off!!)

RobM
09-09-2004, 03:16 PM
didnt think of a using a torch....hmmm which one from my collection shall i use? all kidding aside is their a less messy way to do this? also is there any way to do this with the whole thing still together or would it be better to take it all apart?

TurboLark
09-09-2004, 04:05 PM
didnt think of a using a torch....hmmm which one from my collection shall i use? all kidding aside is their a less messy way to do this? also is there any way to do this with the whole thing still together or would it be better to take it all apart?
Who's kidding?? I've used a torch to soften up some stuff that wouldnt come off with anything else.
I usually do it all together, then hit the details when I pull it all apart. The only non messy way is to pay someone else to do it at their place. Unfortunately the axle housing is too big for most shops hot tanks. Lay down a big tarp to work on if making a big mess is a problem.

hotrodgary
09-10-2004, 05:42 AM
The last few I've done I usually take a strong degreaser to it and powerwash (take it to the local quarter wash and make the mess there: ) and scrub it. Then I usually take it apart and have it sandblasted.

If you plan on rebuilding the whole thing you might as well take it apart before you wash it so you can clean the crap out of the inside too.

Later, Gary

Little Bob
09-10-2004, 10:42 AM
I would be carefull of the above sugestions. If your third member is that bad, you might want to see a doctor. I suggest a good soap and long shower:)

Just kidding, I used this stuff called Greased Lighting and the local Car wash (at night after closing). This seemed to work real well.

RobM
09-12-2004, 05:07 PM
haha, well i got my answer from the local speed shop aparently i can get it media blasted with baking soda and or wallnut shells and it will take it right down to bare metal