PDA

View Full Version : Almost pulled out the card for the FAST EZ EFI 2.0

05king
03-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I was getting ready to pull the trigger then I was reading the posts here and I think I am glad I did not. Seems like I have seen one guy running it with good success after a faulty part but the rest of the folks seem to have major problems. So for that I thank you. After reading and researching on here I honestly dont know what to do.

I just got my 521 BBF running. Its suppose to be 604hp 617tq. Its a 10.1-1 compression forged piston with massaged Ford Racing aluminum Super Cobra Jet heads. The cam if fairly mild for the motor around a 241/249 @ .050 flat tappet hydraulic. We built this mainly for a driver and the street so vacuum was a large part of the cam. The motor runs really strong and I was thinking about going to a 02 wide band to help with tuning. So then I was thinking about going to EFI. Most of the EFI systems seem to be limited to 550-600hp. Obviously I dont want to limit the motor. Currently I am running a new Quick Fuel 950 with annular boosters. It runs good but needs the standard tunning and I am looking to get a good timing curve and good fuel dialed in. So the more I researched the EFI it sounded all good in theory. Being able to tune the AF timing etc from the hand held sounded good to me.

Now that I am researching it one of the forum members here brought up a good point that with all these endless motor combos some may have good luck some may not. Now its looking like Holley is the one to look at. I am a complete amature when it comes to tuning EFI so the units that learn seemed very appealing to me. So my couple of questions are...

1) Am I pushing a basic throttle body EFI with 600hp
2) I want and need to redo all my fuel system anyway so I was thinking a fuel cell etc. Any recommendations there. (for Street, trunk mounted.)
3) Could I go to a system that requires the tuning and take it to a local (dyno tuner) to get it going?

Sorry for all the questions but dropping 3-4k on this is a big decision to me.

Thanks

JLMounce
03-11-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm kind of in the same situation here. The 455 in my 69 Firebird is at about 475 right now, but I'm wanting to add aluminum heads and go with a different cam at this time, pushing me to the 550 range.

My biggest reason for looking in to these systems is my location. Here in Colorado on the front range, we can go from 90 degrees and 4500 ft to 60 degrees and 8000 ft in about an hour and a half. It's nearly impossible to tune a carb to perform well in all the conditions here that rapidly change.

The EZ-EFI 2.0 looked like a good system with enough headroom that if I wanted to really go crazy I could. However after reading the posts here, I'm afraid of the system. It's already on the higher side versus the Holley offerings and Edelobrock's new system. Has anybody else used this system with success? What type of engine setup are you running?

andrewb70
03-11-2014, 09:46 AM
I am not a huge fan of the throttle body EFI systems. They certainly have come a long way from when Holley offered the Pro-Jection (20 years ago) but personally they are a solution that doesn't have a problem. A good carburetor can run just as well if not better than throttle body systems so unless you want to make the jump to multi-port injection, save your money!

The good news is that there are companies that offer multi-port manifolds for just about any engine imaginable. So get the hardware from those companies, add a Holley HP system, and rock on. I believe that MSD even offers dual-synch distributors that will allow to run sequential (as opposed to batch fire), which is even better.

Andrew

Ketzer
03-11-2014, 12:51 PM
I don't believe there are a lot of these new 2.0s out there. The topic is getting lots of reads but no comments. Everyone wants to see more guinea pigs.

One of the main selling points is that it will make easy startups and maintain idle, along with better drivability... but, my 600hp BBC is right on the limit of what these systems can handle. I've got high compression and lots of cam, two things they don't usually like.

Jeff-

mmosley
03-11-2014, 03:23 PM
1) Am I pushing a basic throttle body EFI with 600hp
2) I want and need to redo all my fuel system anyway so I was thinking a fuel cell etc. Any recommendations there. (for Street, trunk mounted.)
3) Could I go to a system that requires the tuning and take it to a local (dyno tuner) to get it going?

Personally I would not waste time with a TBI system with your engine. I don't believe there is a big enough advantage especially on something that has the power the bigger engines can generate. But, I am not the expert; one of the best guys in the business lives in your neighborhood. I don't think Rich will have any trouble with your little engine. Give him a call and ask his recommendation. If you decide to go with one of his systems you may well be money ahead in the end to have him do the tuning also.

http://www.fastmanefi.com/

Check out the photo page to see some of the systems he has worked with: http://www.fastmanefi.com/photos.htm

Here is my system I am working with him on:

2001 Pewter WS6
03-13-2014, 03:57 AM
I just received my FAST EZ EFI 2.0 kit. I read a lot and had concerns as well. My take on it was people trying to use some other distributers other than the FAST Dual Sync. Soon as they switched a lot of issues were gone. I figured I would just get the FAST distributer from the start instead of trying to make something else work. My kit just came in yesterday so I have not installed it as of yet. I hope to get it installed in the next couple weeks. Here is a good source for a great price. He was awesome to deal with.
http://www.dfperformance.com/ezefi_20.html

05king
03-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the link on fastman. I will contact him and see what he says about "my little engine." Apparently someone is not a Ford fan. @ Pewter; Hopefully you have a good experience with yours. I totally agree about the timing and doing there Dist. To me that is half of the advantage of doing this. I am doing a Aeromotive fuel cell now and plumbing everything for the upgrade. Still going to run my carb until I figure it out but the fuel system will be such as all I will have to do is switch the regulator and the rest of the fuel system will accomdate EFI. One of the members here brought up a good point on one of the other treads. There are so many combos on motors out there that everyones experience will be a little different. Like a person trying the EFI with real low vacuum as an example that they may be having problems because of that.

mmosley
03-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the link on fastman. I will contact him and see what he says about "my little engine." Apparently someone is not a Ford fan.

Not a valid assumption... compared to some of the things Richard has worked on your combination is mild that is all. 521ci is not little. Kind of like that big guy from high school who was 6'4" and 420lbs everyone called "Tiny".

Old Rascal
03-13-2014, 09:56 PM
Hello .............
I am new to this site, but I too live near the front range. I have among my various projects a 1973 Ford F350 ramp truck...I has a 460 ci in front of a C6 with Gear Vendors OD...and weighs 7000# empty .....I installed a EZ_EFI 3 years ago, Gas milage improved from 9 mpg to about 14....Startup a quick & easy....Passes smog like a new car and can carry the My C3 Corvette over Veil pass at a decent speed .....I would buy another one again .....large improvement over the Edelbrock Carb that I replaced

05king
03-14-2014, 05:32 AM
It was very interesting talking to Richard. I was leaning away from TBI and headed towards multi port but after a long discussion with Richard he seems to think ez efi 2.0 would be perfect for my application. He also knew my engine builder and that was nice. I have alot of manifold vacuum like 15" at idle, my fuel system will be really good and I have the right ignition as well for the ez 2.0. He seems to think I can bolt it on and go. He is also going to alter my MSD dist so it will be controlled off the FAST computer and no longer off the MSD box. It was a good conversation and I am going to go with him just in case I do run into any problems. He also brought up where I live and the weather that I wouldn't see a huge benefit from multi port. So I have to tackle the fuel system first then save a little money and buy the 2.0. I guess what makes the most comfortable is I can drive up and see him if I have problems. Thanks again for the contact

mmosley
03-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Is the recommendation to go with the TBI and EZ 2.0 due to the mild nature of the build and the high manifold vacuum? I guess that make sense. Keep us up to date when you actually install the system, curious how it turns out.

andrewb70
03-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Hello .............
I am new to this site, but I too live near the front range. I have among my various projects a 1973 Ford F350 ramp truck...I has a 460 ci in front of a C6 with Gear Vendors OD...and weighs 7000# empty .....I installed a EZ_EFI 3 years ago, Gas milage improved from 9 mpg to about 14....Startup a quick & easy....Passes smog like a new car and can carry the My C3 Corvette over Veil pass at a decent speed .....I would buy another one again .....large improvement over the Edelbrock Carb that I replaced

That's a very different application than what the original poster has.

Andrew

05king
03-14-2014, 09:15 AM
His recommendation was due to Richard said I fit the 3 pieces of criteria that he said is important for any TBI self learning to work correctly.
Greater than 9 inches of vacuum at idle. He said that is the biggest mistake people make is not having enough vacuum. My engine builder did a custom ground cam and designed the build around vacuum since this will be mainly on the street. He said having a good ignition is very important and having a good "tach signal" like from an MSD box is necessary. Then he said with the fuel system I am installing the Aeromotive fuel cell with the intake pump with baffles was import for a sucessful install. He also added since I live by him and he knows the climate that he felt I wouldnt gain a ton going from an TBI to port injection. Saying that he was talking about the cost vs benefits. Of course port injection is better but for my application and all the variables he looked at his opinion was that for the cost of port injection vs TBI he felt TBI would do everything I need it to do and he felt very strongly that I would be more than happy with the FAST system. There was one darn thing he said that he said is included in the kit that he feels should not be in it and he pulls that part out before he sells the kit and damn it I cant remember what he said it was. Honestly Ill take his opinion and he lives by me so if I have problems all I have to do is drive up and see him! So I am sending my Quick fuel 950 back I just bought and putting that money towards the EFI. It will be probably 2 months before I have the EFI part done so I will update.

obengston
03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Well I have posted several times on the 2.0 system, that I purchased. So far since I worked out my issues it has been running really well. I also run nitrous with it. A few days ago I was going down the bypass where I live and a 2014 Corvette Stingray slowly passed me. I had to try it, and there was no traffic in front of us. I pulled back up beside him, and gave him the "nod". After he hit it I did the same, and the system with the nitrous (running about 55) performed great, and I absolutely destroyed him. Now I know he would eventually gain back on me, but from 55 to 140 I had easily pulled a half a football field ahead of him. That was about 2 weeks ago. Since that day I have been wondering every day if he really tried. Well today I walked into the Chevy dealership, and the manager walked up to me and said "your car is really fast". I ask how he knew, and his reply was, the Stingray was him. So I felt good. So yes I have had some issues, but for now I feel its doing well, and I know that could change at anytime. If I had it to do again, I'm not 100% I would have gone this route due to the issues I had. I feel the system is to temperamental to "noises".

Bilco547
04-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I just want to update my status with my fast ezi efi 2.0 . i contacted the peeps down at fast (comp cams) and explainined my problems i was having with the system which was due to my high lift solid roller cam i had spoken to brian macy the man is a efi genius he had explained to me that my motor didnt make enough vacuum for the system to work properly and he recomended i up grade to the fast sportsman efi 2.0 which is the newest addition to the fast inventory he explained that the therottle body is one of the best out there so leave it but you have to purchase the ez efi sportsman 2.0 ecu so i contacted david page awesome person we worked out an exchange and after hooking my laptop up to the system and after setting up a few settings with the program they gave me the car runs like an animal had it out several time no issues dyno tuning it next week for a final setting but its the best of both worlds its a self learner that can be tweaked to your needs .. so everyone having issues with your ezi efi 2.0 when they are advailible which should be this end of june/ july work something out with fast send thein ur ezi efi 2.0 and some cash for the new ecu which plugs right in to ur ezi 2.0 harness ..

rrelco
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
I went with Mass-Flo and am very happy with it, multi port sequential it all was about 2,500

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/04/IMG_0185-1.jpg (http://s995.photobucket.com/user/emonteith/media/El%20Camino%20Shots%20ProTouring/IMG_0185.jpg.html)

Derek@ModernSpeed
04-15-2014, 06:04 AM
For those looking at the Holley Terminator TBI system, it's a great piece for it's intended purpose(s). Will it support OVER 600HP not with the 85pph injectors (larger injectors are coming). As stated above, many end users buy the EFI kit to eliminate a poor idle, or low fuel mileage. Typically a radical cam that produces less than 9" of vacuum will have poor idle characteristics. The TBI systems were intended to replace carbs on 275-600HP (flywheel hp) engines. If your engine makes over 600HP, MPFI is the only correct EFI to use. I've worked with Holley, FAST, and other systems that aren't even worth mentioning. When selected, and used properly, results will meet the realistic expectations.

Fuelie Nova
04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
^^ I gotta say I purchased the Terminator setup for my SBC (530HP), I pull 8-9" vacuum at idle. I was shocked at how well it works. I eventually swapped for the Dominator ECU to run my transmission. I know it is not optimal but for a street car it runs nice. Currently have a Motown EFI intake and slowly collecting parts to eventually switch it over to Multi Point.
Was really surprised by the Terminator.
Tom

Derek@ModernSpeed
04-15-2014, 09:08 PM
It does well and I've worked on cars with low vacuum. However I wouldn't say it will have desirable results on every combo with low vacuum. Glad it's worked out well for you though. I thought about using the terminator in an old truck with a 4.6l and vortech si trim blower. Larger injectors are coming for the terminator. It's still not better than mpfi, but the wow factor would be nice.

Devilsride
04-22-2014, 02:41 PM
I'm still in the process of installing the Fast 2.0 in my BBC. The components look to be good quality but I will let you know more after I get it installed. What I can tell you is their customer service and delivery suck. I received my system 2-1/2 months after placing my order. I never received a ship date and when I finally got thru was given a date but that got missed by 4 weeks. I also ordered a dual sync distributor. While I was installing it my son dropped the cap and it cracked. No problem I just got on line and ordered a new one. Ok now two weeks later and it still hasn't shipped. I guess its like a pizza and everything is made to order. Not good if you get a crack in your cap and need to park your ride for a month. I wrote to them last night and checking my email today I have no response or delivery date. I'm ready to pull the dam distributor and video tape me crushing it in my press so I can post it on Youtube. I would never recommend anyone to purchase anything from this company.

Bilco547
04-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Jeff save your money and your motor the fast ezi efi 2.0 sucks and is a piece of crap and fast doesn't stand behind the system im going on 8 months of hell my car runs so rich it has destroyed my rings and the techs at fast don't know what going on

Devilsride
04-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Good move for holding back I went and purchased this system and yes almost 4k by the time you get everything including the dual sync distributor, MSD, Coil and then to top it off 12 weeks delivery and no response from sales or service until three emails latter to be given a delivery day that was missed by another 4 weeks. Now I have on order a new distributor cap and its been a week and still hasn't shipped. Good thing this isn't a daily driver. This part should be on the shelf and shipped no later then the next day. Hell I ordered two separate orders from Jegs and Tanks Inc. and got them within two days. I should of went with the Holley System.

05king
05-30-2014, 07:51 AM
I went to a hot rod shop in my town to get my vintage air vacuumed down and charged. I talked to the owner in length about there experience with the Fast 2.0. He said it was a complete nightmare. He worked full time on it for 3 weeks. Fast kept telling them the wiring was to close and picking up some kind of interfierence. They had 3 Fast local dealers involved. Finally fast had one of the dealers from out of town come in with a "unofficial control unit." They plugged it in and the car finally ran. The owner of this shop said there is a huge problem with this unit and FAST knows it. Why else would they have this unofficial controll unit. The owner said he lost his ass on this deal and I guess on of the local dealers stopped selling the 2.0 and told Fast with that kind of customer service they did not want to be a dealer. there is a whole lot to this story (more than I want to type.) But not only do they have a unit with a problem there customer service and support is horrible. NO THANKS

67LSRS
05-30-2014, 08:15 AM
I purchased the FAST XFI 2.0 using the same TBI unit as the EZ-EFI after reading this hopefully there wil be no issues. I did research the XFI unit extensively and found the majority of reviews very good. Its going on an LS1 using the carbed victor jr intake and a procharger and injection was an after thought after a good tax return and to avoid the blow-thru carb nightmares, initially i was just going carbed.
I will be using their XIM Ls1 ign controller and with the XFI have a wide variaty on custom tune options. I am about a month awayfrom getting it fired up and running on this project as it was a total rotisserie resto also.
Any one running this XFI have any recommendations or gripes, after reading about FAST on here I am a little worried at his point.

Desmo900
05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Just had my motor finished last week. My engine builder loved the Fast EFI 2.0. He said it was the easiest EFI he has ever installed. I went with the FAST Dual Sync dizzy. The whole system was on back order for over 5 weeks before we got it.

Details:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=276462

procharged gta
08-02-2014, 10:30 AM
It does well and I've worked on cars with low vacuum. However I wouldn't say it will have desirable results on every combo with low vacuum. Glad it's worked out well for you though. I thought about using the terminator in an old truck with a 4.6l and vortech si trim blower. Larger injectors are coming for the terminator. It's still not better than mpfi, but the wow factor would be nice.

Hi Derek, do you know when the bigger injectors are gonna become available for the Terminator systems? We just purchased the Terminator system, and will be running it with a 383 sbc with a small Magnuson 122 carb'd supercharger,maybe 6 lbs boost, produces around 550hp 100% street driver. We are gonna try it with the injectors it comes with, but would purchase the bigger injectors if they were available just so we could raise the safety margin a bit. Have any info on size or and when they will be available? Thanks, Brian

TheJDMan
08-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I feel like the odd man here in terms of EFI choice. I just installed a new SBC 385 stroker in Dust Off and topped it off with the Atomic EFI from MSD. After some initial distributor issues the system is settling down and is learning every time I drive it. Installation and setup was easy and while driveability is not quite as good as my old 4150 it is improving as the system learns.

Derek@ModernSpeed
08-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Hi Derek, do you know when the bigger injectors are gonna become available for the Terminator systems? We just purchased the Terminator system, and will be running it with a 383 sbc with a small Magnuson 122 carb'd supercharger,maybe 6 lbs boost, produces around 550hp 100% street driver. We are gonna try it with the injectors it comes with, but would purchase the bigger injectors if they were available just so we could raise the safety margin a bit. Have any info on size or and when they will be available? Thanks, Brian I wish I could answer that question. I anticipate SEMA, or PRI they might be showcased. You can potentially bump the fuel pressure a little (43-50 or maybe 55) to get a little more volume out of the stock Terminator Injectors. However be aware some injectors do not like higher pressures. I've been told of the sizes, but that's not information I can post. Also, one thing to remember with manufacturers. Just because the rumor is they will release a product, doesn't always mean it will hit the shelf. So, don't bank on getting the larger injectors until they are available for purchase. Adjust your build accordingly if 90-120pph injectors are a necessity.