PDA

View Full Version : Better "bolt in" 1st gen spindles

another69
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
I'm currently running modified lower a arms, stock spindles, and SPC uppers (from SC&C) with tall upper ball joints. I have 12.19" Dynalite Wilwood brakes and a Unisteer rack. The handling and brakes are good, and I'm happy with the track width, but I would like to upgrade the stock spindles and small bearing Wilwood hubs.

I'm considering the AFX spindles, but can I use them with my current brakes and rack?

I was also considering the LH Kustoms spindles, but I can't find them online anywhere.

Are there any other options? I have had my spindles magna fluxed, but I think they are a weak link.

smhigh
02-27-2014, 10:47 PM
One of these or both may be what you are looking for.....

L&H Kustoms
17400 SE 422Nd Ave Sandy, Oregon, United States, 97055
(503) 668-2833

Luke Mau
L & H Kustoms
Pro Billet Components
503-819-9043

marolf101x
02-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Are you concerned about the small bearing being the weak point? We've had the same concern and considered other bearings for our spindle design, however after many years of beating our cars with the small bearings we've NEVER had a failure or an issue. On paper it looks weak, but in real life it's held up just fine on multiple cars seeing lots of track time, both big and small.

Issues with changing bearings:
C5/C6 Corvette bearings:
-requires expensive spindle
-"good" bearings are expensive

Using larger GM bearings:
-requires a new hub that may or may not work with the brakes

Again, while designing a new spindle we looked at all these factors and more, and have decided to stick with the tried and true set up.

another69
02-28-2014, 06:17 AM
Thanks. I'm not only concerned about the small bearings, but the spindle itself which is 40 years old. I'm not really looking for a drop spindle, which is why I was considering L&H or the (1" drop) ATS spindles. L&H looks really beefy and ATS uses Corvette bearings which I'm sure can take a bigger load than 60's Camaro stuff. I do like the design better though of a spindle with tapered bearings. I have seen the modern GM compact hubs come apart.

killer69
02-28-2014, 08:57 AM
since we have been making the AFX spindle 2005-6 we have not seen a gm hub fail, not to say that some haven't but we haven't seen it, currently the spindles are supplied with the ZR1 Corvette hub that is as beefy as you will ever need. even on my Nova that gets driven pretty hard we have not seen any wear or issues with the standard Corvette hub ( I don't even have the Zr1 hubs on my car)
the down side is your brakes will not work and you will have to upgrade to a minimum 13" wildwood kit I don't think any of the parts cross over so best to sell your current set up if you decide to upgrade.
not sure if L&H is still building his spindle have not seen any in a long time. but maybe.

another69
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks Blake. The failures I have seen have been on GM trucks and full size vans and although they appear to be a similar type of bearing maybe its not a fair comparison. In each case the bearings would wear and cause more and more negative camber until they would just let go, sometimes while driving. The older style spindle seems to have more of a safety factor built in if things wear (unless the spindle breaks). Either way I'm sure it's probably a non-issue with a pro touring car. I really like your setup. Using OEM Corvette parts can't be a bad thing. I think I will need to just pull the trigger and go for it!

csouth
03-02-2014, 03:44 PM
If you truly want another spindle I would consider the ATS. I can't say anything good or bad about the L&H spindles because I had to cancel my order after waiting 4months and only receiving steering arms. I have the ATS and its a beautiful piece, very nicely constructed. My money would be on the ATS

another69
03-02-2014, 07:21 PM
Is track width truly stock 69 Camaro? If it is thats fine, but I like to go as wide as possible (I know about scrub radius). I will likely use some spacers.

Ben@SpeedTech
03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Width on the AFXs is 60" hub face to hub face on a 1st gen.