PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Falcon Futura father son build.

protasone
02-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Posting kind of late in our build so here come a lot of photos! Started out as a 6cyl rattle trap with some dents and a little rust. The boy was less than enthused about the car until we went and drove it. There is a lot to be said about old querky cars with their own personality's! Its been 25 years since I built a car so I'm just as excited as he is! Original idea was to shoe-horn a Coyote motor in it but after doing a ton of research we decided to go with a SBF and AOD set up. Ordered the TCI set up for front IFS and 4 link out back with a slightly narrowed 9" with 3.90 limited slip and discs all the way around with adjustable coil overs. While waiting for parts to show up, we got to work......

protasone
02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
When the parts got here it was like Xmas all over again! We unpacked and started right away. All of the TCI parts fit pretty well with the exception of the 4-link cradle and frame rail mounts. Had to grind off the bump stop brackets to get the correct positioning. Definitely a 2 man job installing this rear unit. Tack weld first. Take your time and double check square and level everything before finish welding! We decided to just go with a rattle can finish. We test fit everything then dissembled, wiped everything down with thinner and painted then reinstalled. Looking back we should have went with the powder coated option.

DC-69
02-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Very kewl ....... another Falcon :) they seam to be popping up a lot here lately. Looking good so far keep the updates coming with pics of course :)

DC

Bryce
02-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Awesomeness. I can't wait until you get out and autocross with us.

protasone
02-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks Bryce. We cant wait! More pics.......

Bryce
02-27-2014, 06:19 AM
Let me know when you are ready to dial it in. Come by and we can scale it and align it.

injcted
02-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Cool Build Glad to see more father son builds!

protasone
02-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks Bryce! The drive to north county will be a good "break-in" :)

Mocked up the motor, made some adjustments to one of the header tubes (dimpled), dissembled, installed the TCI 3500 torque converter and TCI AOD trans and began installation. Here are the motor specs:

347 Stroker
RHS aluminum heads ported and polished with 2.05 intake 1.60 exhaust port matched flowed blah blah blah
Crower 222HR228 lift .496”/.512” LSA: 112°
Comp 10:1
Edlebrock Air-Gap dual plane
Dougs headers
Holley 750DP
Mallory Unilite
Proform electric water pump

You get the picture......

More to come tomorrow :)
Oh, make sure you have the motor mounts on the correct side otherwise the engine wont fit LOL!

Jetfixr320
02-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Very Cool build! Dad, you wont want to hand the keys over when it's finished. LOL

67TXStang
03-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Great build. Thanks for sharing.

Dave B
03-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Very Nice! One of my favorite body styles.

protasone
03-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys. Haha! You know it Jet! More pics to come latter.

protasone
03-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Getting very close to starting this thing finally! Installed the radiator, sending units, coil, fuel lines, electric fan, relays and did a little wiring. Steering column and drive shaft showed up finally. Got the Team 3 wheels 17x8 and 4" BS with YOKOHAMA S-DRIVE 225/35R17 up front and 18x9.5 with 5.5" BS 265/35R18 out back. My measurements for the rears were off so I had to send them back to add another 1/2" of back spacing. Just got them back a few days ago. After 1 year this thing is a "roller"!!

Jetfixr320
03-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Looks great!

Can you get a pic of the clearance between the diff housing and the 4 link cradle cross bar with weight on the wheels?

protasone
03-01-2014, 10:44 PM
No problem Jet. When I get another chance ill either slip my GoPro under there on a stick or Ill put the axle housing on some stands and get a good one for ya.

wfo guy
03-02-2014, 08:17 AM
I see we were a little close to the garage door going in. :) That looks like alot of our builds. Not the best shop but good enough to get the job done. I think you will be very happy with your engine as compared to a stock stroke engine. What is the plan for the rest of the car? Congrats to you and your son on the work accomplished.

Jetfixr320
03-02-2014, 03:24 PM
I have a 331 in my Falcon. You will Love that 347, No doubt about it.

protasone
03-02-2014, 05:38 PM
I see we were a little close to the garage door going in. :) That looks like alot of our builds. Not the best shop but good enough to get the job done. I think you will be very happy with your engine as compared to a stock stroke engine. What is the plan for the rest of the car? Congrats to you and your son on the work accomplished.

HaHa WFO your funny. Plan? You know we never stick to "The plan" LOL! At this point our plans are to upgrade the interior a little, maybe put in a cage, paint it gun metal, auto x it a few times and just enjoy it for a while :) Who knows, maybe even drag it later on :)

Munssey
03-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Coming along nicely! VERY happy to see a father\ son project out of it too. A Falcon was one of my first projects with my dad growing up too =)

Regardless of how the Falcon turns out (no doubt it will remain as nice as the progress shows so far) the time spent together will be nothing less than priceless.

Hope to see you both out on the track some time in the future.

Later-A-body
03-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Great project. Realyy like the build and the motor looks terrific. I'm sure you guys are really enjoying working on it together. I have been doing the same with my dad on his '65 GTO.

LowFast
03-03-2014, 06:09 AM
Very cool, great wheel choice!

rustomatic
03-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Ditto on the wheel choice--I also really like how you left that leaf spring hanger in place after installing all the 4-link goodies...

RaiderLSX
03-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Awesome build fellas! Big fan of the wheels Team3, is local to me and I've been debating on those wheels myself

protasone
03-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys. Its been a fun project so far with both of us learning new things about cars and each other. I'm jealous of the guys that got to do things like this with their dads. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 5 so I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with my kids before my time comes.

LowFast, to be honest, we have been following your build since 2012 and when I saw those wheels it was over. Nothing else looked right. Worth every penny. You Bryce and Munssey have been major inspirations in our build. If we can build this car half as good as you guys we will be stoked! We still have a long way to go.....heck, as Rustomatic pointed out I still need to remove the old hangers LOL!

We just moved 2 weeks ago so we haven't made any progress at all. Hope to be settled and have the new garage all set up in a couple of weeks. Its going to be nice having more space! Stay tuned. Just about all of the mechanical parts needed to drive this thing are stacked up in the garage........waiting.......

Bryce
03-04-2014, 07:28 AM
wheels and stance look great!

protasone
03-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Finally got the car hauled to the new house and put in its new home. Once we are settled the fun will recommence :firefire:

Bossed
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Absolutely love Falcons!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fantastic project, awesome doing a project with your son. Good luck going forward, and thanks for sharing the pictures. Just a killer stance with wheels and tires.

protasone
04-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Things are settling down in the new house so I finally got back out and did a little more plumbing and electrical. Next will be the Ididit column and wheel, mount the gauges then the new drive shaft, e-brake and tighten down the hard lines fill and bleed etc. Still have a bunch of small things to do like the shifter, TV cable and arm, hoses, clamps fluids etc. and then of course double check every nut and bolt but were getting closer! I wish every day was a weekend.

Gil
04-29-2014, 12:34 AM
wheels and stance look great!

X2

Very nice ! Will be bad a$$...
Gil

LS122
08-27-2014, 06:47 PM
You nailed the stance. Can you tell us what the wheel width/backspacing is, What is "Slightly narrowed" for you rear and did you do any rear wheel well work?

protasone
08-30-2014, 10:41 AM
Rear end is a 9" Currie unit at 56.5" flange to flange (stock is 58") with adjustable coil overs. Front end is TCI IFS with adjustable coil overs. Front rims are 17x8 with 4" backspacing and rears are 18x9.5 rims at 6" backspacing. At current ride height under static load I have no rubbing in front or back. Rear tolerances are pretty tight at the outer fender sheet metal though and I anticipate massaging or doing an actual mini tub. Inner wheel well sheet metal has plenty of room. In other words, at current ride height without doing anything it will probably rub the outer rear fender well during corning or entering driveways. Once Im driving it I will keep you guys updated :)

RaiderLSX
03-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Any updates on this build?

Justin@EntropyRad
04-01-2015, 06:28 AM
This thing looks great!

groho
04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
Great job! BTW, your son looks just like you.

protasone
04-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, been a while with no updates. Life has kept us pretty busy with the new house and expanding business so not a ton of time to work on the Falcon. Yeah, poor kid looks just like me LOL! We did however get it started and partially broken in. Drove it around the block a few times and everything works :) with the exception of the brand new TCI AOD wont shift properly. I cant get the pressure dialed in for some reason and its stuck at 85 psi. Reverse works but all forward gears seems like its stuck in 3rd or 4th. Dropped the pan and checked that everything moves properly, adjusted the TV cable properly etc. Haven't checked the governor yet. Cant figure it out with the limited time I have. Anyone have any ideas to throw at me?? Thanks in advance and thanks for the kind words!!

vwmopar
04-06-2015, 04:03 PM
They just don't make cars with those kind of lines anymore.

BlueGhost93
04-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Wow nice engine and wheel choice! Glad to see another falcon on the road :)

Zoomin
04-08-2015, 07:34 PM
They just don't make cars with those kind of lines anymore.

I agree. I love the lines of this rascal a lot.

protasone
09-23-2015, 07:19 PM
It lives and breaths....

https://youtu.be/BEd5dqn2T80

cbpldc
09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
That sounds and looks great!