PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar

Little Bob
09-09-2004, 09:47 AM
I was wondering what are the requirments to run a roll bar in a convertable? I want to be able to run on the track and be safe. But would also like it to look good too.

TurboLark
09-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I believe you need a 6 point bar made with 1 3/4 .120 wall tubing when yopu go 13.99 in the quarter. I think you need a cage at 11.99.

Ralph LoGrasso
09-09-2004, 12:36 PM
I believe you need a 6 point bar made with 1 3/4 .120 wall tubing when yopu go 13.99 in the quarter. I think you need a cage at 11.99.

What sanctioning body is this?

Little Bob
09-09-2004, 01:19 PM

It will probally be local SCCA,BMWCCA, and Car Guys school. The tracks will be local to me. (Limerock, Watkins Glen and Summit Point) Maybe a trip down the 1320 to see what it can do.

TurboLark
09-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I was thinking about NHRA. The rules for the road race type stuff is different. But, if you plan on doing some of both, you will need to find the rules and conform to the most strict.

dennis68
09-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Cage requirements for SSCC events are the most stringent of all racing associations. I would build a cage to their definition of the Super Sport class and you be legal for any event, anywhere.

TurboLark
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Cage requirements for SSCC events are the most stringent of all racing associations. I would build a cage to their definition of the Super Sport class and you be legal for any event, anywhere.
Whats the SSCC?

Found it..Silver State Classic. Thought you were maybe meaning these guys..SSCC (http://www.ssccracing.org/html/clubcar.html) LOL!!! :lmao:

Speed Raycer
09-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Assuming you're wanting to run open track days and Solo 1 type events... The NHRA seem to have the more stringent and "heaftier" requirements. Minimum tubing sizes/thickness' are larger, the main hoop kickout to frame requirements, door bar height etc. I've looked into this several times for customers who want to run dual sanctioning body cars and have always suggested building for NHRA tech first. Open track day events will rarely have stringent rules regarding cages and NHRA techs seem to have no clue that even though a car has an 8 point cage (for road racing), it might not be able to get anywhere near sub 10 sec. range.

dennis68
09-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Scott, check out the SSCC cage requirements for tech speed 180-MPH and up. They pretty much require a sub 10 sec cage with the main differences being (and they are anal about it) a 9"X9" floor plate bolted to the pan with at least 6 fasteners per plate AND a diagonal cross bar on the main hoop from the drivers top to the passenger floor. The reason I suggest building to their specs is that it will pass any other sanctioning bodies standards and the type of cars most guys on this board build fall into that type of event. I can't think of many guys on this board that wouldn't love to run 90 miles wide open-legally on the highway.

Speed Raycer
09-12-2004, 08:38 AM
I guess what I should have said was make sure you meet NHRA specs if you think you'll want to run straight line more often than you get on a road course, or at least check with your local NHRA track as to their tech procedures. By all means run a diagonal in the main hoop with as much triangulation as possible and as large an attachment plate as possible.

I've run with guys in the SCCA that have been denied a 1/4 mile run in their road race car because the cage didn't meet NHRA tubing and attachment point requirements (as well as the shutoff switch not being in the rear). The cars wouldn't have been able to hit a 13 sec. pass if they were running downhill!

spanky the wondermuffin
09-24-2004, 07:10 AM
don't listen to that statement about the high safety standards of the siver state people.i run in the pony express series,not the ss,because of the complete lack of safety concerns over there.go to www.silverstateclassic.com ,click messages,then read the posts under communications suggestions to get a real perspective.i have a convertible also,i started with a roll bar but now have a full cage.most tracks require a roll bar for open cars but have no standard you must meet.

dennis68
09-24-2004, 09:03 AM
Thats funny because my buddy at work had to redo his whole 8-point cage last year when SS changed their standards for unibody cages. SS does require at least a bar to run in any class for convertibles.

spanky the wondermuffin
09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
check out that thread dennis.a real eye-opener.regulations mean nothing if there is no real tech inspection.and the lack of communication equipment is deplorable.not only do i participate in open road racing every year,i've also worked as a course control official,so i know what is happening while the cars are on course.no communications could turn a bad accident into a fatal one.if you ball your car up at 150mph and don't feel well afterwards wouldn't you like there to be some way to call for help?or if your car came to a rest on it's top in the middle of a corner don't you think a red flag would be nice?ain't gonna happen for a while at the ss,there is no way for a course worker to report the problem.and yes it is fun blasting through the desert at a buck sixty,top down.i do it a few times a year.a safe roll cage is one that can go on it's roof at 200 mph,then take a side impact from a 3400lb. car-without spilling any of the moonshine hidden in the tubes.

spanky the wondermuffin
09-25-2004, 06:47 AM
the sscc has disabled the message board after many people(not me,i don't race in that group) publicly complaining about safety issues.several longtime members have had posting privleges removed.some information is available on the mkm(pony express)board.good idea.stifle complaints rather than address the problems.

dennis68
09-25-2004, 07:09 AM
I know 2 people who have run with SSCC several year and posted on that topic, they will not be returning again. The last few runs are not the same as the years past. Safety used to be an issue, it does seem to be anymore so they will just the other venues instead.

Bryce
11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
i wanted to resurrect this topic.

Has anyone had luck building a cage that satisfied both types of racing, drag and autocross maybe even some track days.

This would be for a unibody car that wont be that fast. maybe high 11s in the quarter.

So i think NHRA would require a 5pt roll bar. The driver side needs a door bar.

What would be the minimum requirements for SCCA or a road course?

Is painting a roll bar ever an issue for tech?

MStennes
11-17-2009, 11:07 AM
I was wondering what are the requirments to run a roll bar in a convertable? I want to be able to run on the track and be safe. But would also like it to look good too.
Wherein itself lies the problem, verts getting a legal cage pretty much kill the vert for looks, unless you want the full competition look. I have mulled this and just decided to do a custom 6 point that still allows full access, and does not hinder verts lines. Not allot of help but, I decided to bag the track with my vert and build a coupe in the future for track use. Heres how I'm going,
http://www.ridetech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=1828

NOT A TA
11-17-2009, 11:35 AM
i wanted to resurrect this topic.

Has anyone had luck building a cage that satisfied both types of racing, drag and autocross maybe even some track days.

This would be for a unibody car that wont be that fast. maybe high 11s in the quarter.

So i think NHRA would require a 5pt roll bar. The driver side needs a door bar.

What would be the minimum requirements for SCCA or a road course?

Is painting a roll bar ever an issue for tech?

There are several threads in the general tech and safety section. This is a thread about a cage install in my car designed to satisfy the regulations of several different types of sanctioning bodies. https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48151

Bryce
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
thank you. I searched but came up with this one as the best thread.

I will read yours! and ask questions there.