PDA

View Full Version : Ridetech 4 link install help

BeerB8AmmoGRITS
02-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I've searched around and found a few threads where it seems like people had a similar issue but they never elaborated on what they did to correct it so I apologize if this has been answered before.

i am currently installing the ridetech rear 4 link into my mini tubbed 68 camaro, and have already had several of the self tapping bolts strip out.... To me, this just doesn't seem like a good way to attach something like a suspension crossmember that will be supporting the whole vehicles weight (just a few threads the thickness of the frame rails). I'm using a 5/16" drill as said in the instructions but before I can even start to snug the bolts down they start spinning.

in case you were wondering I was not using the tightening of the bolts to move the crossmember into position and make it fit. It was already in place and I was just snugging the bolts down.

i would prefer not to weld the whole thing in because it would be good to remove if necessary but I am not liking the way these bolts are working.

The one idea I may try is using 5/16s rivnuts and bolts instead of the self tapping bolts in the kit. Anyone done this? Anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!
Adam

regal454
02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I am doing the same Ridetech 4 link in my Camaro. Is your mini tub complete or are you doing it simultaneously? I am mini tubbing mine at the same time as the 4 link install, so I made a brace to slide inside the frame rails while they were cut open with nuts welded to it. I rosette welded the brace to the inside of the frame rails. This way the ARP bolts will engage into a full grade 8 nut as opposed to a sheet metal screw into a 16ga frame rail.

I have seen others run a bolt through the frame rails. If you go this route, you will have to weld in a sleeve so the bolt doesn't compress the frame rail when tightened.

rchaskin
02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
I'll start out by saying I dont have a ridetech 4 Link, but have looked at installations, and have read the directions a million times.....

If it were me, I would weld it in.

If it were me, and had to bolt it in: (See post above, or....)
-For the holes in the side of the frame rails, I would drill totally thru the frame, and enlarge the hole on the opposite wall (tire side) of the frame rail big enough to get a washer and locknut in, and use regular bolts.
-For the holes on the bottom of the rail, i would also try to drill a hole near the bottom of the rail on the tire side of the rail to get a washer and locknut in there, and use regular bolts.

This would be harder on a car like yours that has already been minitubbed......

I am not a fan of the self tapping method either......

Just my 2 cents worth.....Good Luck

BeerB8AmmoGRITS
02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Thanks to you both for basically telling me what I already knew was the right answer. I'm just going to weld it in. Would have been nice to be able to take it out easier but I started thinking to myself... " if this is as good as it is supposed to be.... Why would I have to take it out?" Additionally, how many times could the short threads on the frame rails actually take coming out and going back in?

Regal454... That was absolutely AMAZING forethinking (is that a word?) hats off to you for doing that work when your frame rails were already opened up. I had read the directions for the 4 link before doing the mini tubs and already didn't like the idea of self tapping bolts but didn't think about adding nuts while it was open.. I'm really impressed by what you did!

As it is, I guess I will spend my snow day tomorrow sanding off all the work I did on the underbody and fire up the miller again to get the cradle weldEd in. I am afraid if I try to put bolts through the frame rail it may sacrifice tire clearance a bit.

Thanks again for the advice!

regal454
02-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks to you both for basically telling me what I already knew was the right answer. I'm just going to weld it in. Would have been nice to be able to take it out easier but I started thinking to myself... " if this is as good as it is supposed to be.... Why would I have to take it out?" Additionally, how many times could the short threads on the frame rails actually take coming out and going back in?

Regal454... That was absolutely AMAZING forethinking (is that a word?) hats off to you for doing that work when your frame rails were already opened up. I had read the directions for the 4 link before doing the mini tubs and already didn't like the idea of self tapping bolts but didn't think about adding nuts while it was open.. I'm really impressed by what you did!

As it is, I guess I will spend my snow day tomorrow sanding off all the work I did on the underbody and fire up the miller again to get the cradle weldEd in. I am afraid if I try to put bolts through the frame rail it may sacrifice tire clearance a bit.

Thanks again for the advice!

I can't take credit for installing the braces inside the frame rails. While researching the install of the 4 Link, I came across a few threads on this website of others that have done it this way.

If I were not mini tubbing my car, I would bolt it in the manner that Randy recommended AND weld the bracket in at a few spots.