PDA

View Full Version : where to go for lsx motor

1970cuda
09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
new to chevy land and would like recommendations of who to have build me one. would like to supercharge it.....?

Lesrace82
09-12-2005, 07:40 PM
APE in michigan is supposed to be pretty good. I had mine built by Class One in Freeport, Illinois good quality builder. Only place I feel strongly about telling people not to go to is Speed Inc. I got screwed by them on my first motor. I think the best thing todo is go on some of the LSX boards and see who has good reputations. Might even be able to find someone local.

1970cuda
09-12-2005, 07:46 PM
i talked to larry at speed. he asked me to email him with what i wanted. i was unsure of what i needed so i left email pretty much open.
didn't get a response for email and have left two messages. would have liked to use a sponsor of the site......

MrQuick
09-12-2005, 08:20 PM
Since your in AZ you might want to give Street & Perfomance a ring. They are in Mesa and have been leaders in late model engine swaps. They should have everything you need to do it.
While your there ask em about a Hemi swap into your Cuda...thats if you still have it? I've been eyein that 6.1 for mine.... www.hotrodlane.cc

Ralph LoGrasso
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
i talked to larry at speed. he asked me to email him with what i wanted. i was unsure of what i needed so i left email pretty much open.
didn't get a response for email and have left two messages. would have liked to use a sponsor of the site......

I've spoken with Tom and Jon over at Speed Inc. several times and they've been very helpful and knowledgable. I haven't heard of any problems with their stuff, in my readings on ls1tech and here. I would definitely consider them as a viable option for your engine. They're a well respected LSX shop.

ViperBlue68
09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Since your in AZ you might want to give Street & Perfomance a ring. They are in Mesa and have been leaders in late model engine swaps. They should have everything you need to do it.
While your there ask em about a Hemi swap into your Cuda...thats if you still have it? I've been eyein that 6.1 for mine.... www.hotrodlane.cc

Vince,
I thought the same thing...but they arent in Arizona the AR is Arkansas Mena,AR to be exact....I coulda swore it was Mesa, AR as well but I have the catalog in front of me and remember calling them as well...Mark Cambell was pretty cool on the phone and sent me their install dvd and catalog to get me more familiar with them...

MrQuick
09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Really, damn, I wondered why the guy on the phone had a southern draw?!?! LOL!! Sorry! My signature should explain it all! :pat:

rocketman
09-12-2005, 09:27 PM
motorsports tech(mti) in houston does some very bad ass ls stuff.

JMitch19
09-13-2005, 03:38 AM
APE went out of business and screwed alot of people out of alot of money in the process. Most of the employees from APE started Victory Racing Engines. I would stay away from them just because of what APE did. Like Ralph said Speed Inc. has a really good rep. And they are a sponser here.

Nine Ball
09-13-2005, 09:01 AM
APE screwed several people for a grand total in the $130,000 range, crooks!
We even have an entire forum dedicated to this situation:
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Travis B
09-13-2005, 09:04 AM
Call or e-mail [email protected] he is very cool and very friendly!

I believe Jp has a guy he is using too that is very knowlegable!

malihoochie
09-13-2005, 01:19 PM
Ditto's on the APE thing. Gone now and really F'd many before they went out.

parsonsj
09-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Yeah, my guy is Wegner Automotive in Markesan, Wisconsin. Their forte has been NASCAR, both Cup and Busch series cars. They've gotten into ARCA and ASA racing and actually developed the GMPP "carbed" intake manifold for GM. They have 3 engine dynos, do all their own machine work, and aren't crooks. They've been in business for 30 years.

Recommended.

jp

96Z28SS
09-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, my guy is Wegner Automotive in Markesan, Wisconsin. Their forte has been NASCAR, both Cup and Busch series cars. They've gotten into ARCA and ASA racing and actually developed the GMPP "carbed" intake manifold for GM. They have 3 engine dynos, do all their own machine work, and aren't crooks. They've been in business for 30 years.

Recommended.

jp

They may not be crooks but are there prices resonable or are they expensive cause they have the background with racing engines.

parsonsj
09-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I don't know what you're looking for, nor do I know what you consider expensive.

You'll need to give them a call and make that judgement yourself. The person I've been working with is Dan Timm, the shop foreman. No nonsense, no bull****.

As I say, recommended. Here's a link to their website. (http://www.wegnerautomotive.com)

jp

WS6
09-14-2005, 07:31 PM
how much power do you want to make with the engine? you can easily take a bone stock LS not even change the heads and be making nearly 500 rwhp on pump gas. thats if your adding the blower. change the heads and yeah you can go higher.

as for building an LS engine if your looking to go big cubic inches(427) you may want to find out who does darton sleeves and let that company also be the one that builds the engine. there are many builders who can build the LS engines up. i suggest getting a list together like your doing and calling all of them. not only to get prices but to see who you feel the most comfortable with.

FTR engines does good work as well. they are out of canada though, so i dont know if that will cause any problems with taxes or duties or anything. www.ftrengines.com

CUSTOMFAB
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
There is also AUTOWORX(AGOSTINO RACING ENGINES) There in Toronto Ontario Can.They are the pionners of big bore LS1's. www.agostino-racing.com (http://www.agostino-racing.com)

scottyz
09-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah. All the pioneers have left the building. Dont go there or you are asking for trouble. Trust me.

RedAddiction
10-17-2005, 11:44 AM
APE in michigan is supposed to be pretty good. I had mine built by Class One in Freeport, Illinois good quality builder. Only place I feel strongly about telling people not to go to is Speed Inc. I got screwed by them on my first motor. I think the best thing todo is go on some of the LSX boards and see who has good reputations. Might even be able to find someone local.

APE is out of business and stole alot of money from alot of people to do not do business with anyone associated with them.

scottyz
10-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Just like Agostino racing did. Dont go to Agostino or Autoworks as people have been royally screwed. Hear alot of good things about FTR though.

Lowend
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
If you want it done right I would suggest http://dynowest.com/ Paul isn't cheap, but he will build the motor to the highest level imaginable