PDA

View Full Version : My 2005 GMC Canyon

WideOpenThrottle
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Just thought I would say "Hi!". First time posting on this board. I have been lurking around for a long time now. Thought I would add to the community.

Here is a couple pics of my little project.

Converted to 5 lug from 6 lug. Using C6 knuckles up front (I made custom A-arm/ball-joint adapters for this) and Strange custom axles out back, C6 Z06 Mono-block calipers, KORE 3 adapter for rear corvette brakes to GMC Canyon Axle flange (Retains factory corvette E-brake), KWS coil overs up front, Belltech rear springs and shocks, Bell-tech rear drop blocks, Belltech front and rear sway bar, white line adjustable sway bar end-links, custom designed signal converter for ABS, Factory reproductions ZR1 wheels 19x10" on Nitto NT05's, Mayhem motorsports steering rack solid mount kit... and that may be it... well for now.

Handles super well, hopefully I can base-line it once it gets warm outside.

I have a T56 Corvette trans-axle along with C5 IRS I am hoping to graft in over next winter... Also got a 441 in process, but may sell that to do a more boost/forced induction compliant engine...

Hoping to do a little auto-crossing with it this summer as well...

Later,
Max

1truckguy78
02-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Awesome truck! I've got an '07. Hopefully finally doing coil overs this spring.

Tig
02-12-2014, 12:14 PM
wideopen,
Very cool. It looks great, the stance and wheels really set it off.
What are your plans for the boosted drivetrain?

1truck
Nice 07. how much will the coil-overs drop that bad boy?

It's nice to see more modern Trucks being built. I wish they'd start more build threads in here though, hah.
I have a retired state police Tahoe, for a hefty vehicle, it handles quite well with its pedders suspension. I'm hoping to upgrade to coil-overs in the near future.

srh3trinity
02-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Cool truck. I always thought they had tons of potential.

1truckguy78
02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Hey thanks tig!

Im looking at the beltech adjustibles, good for 3" maybe tubular control arms too.

WideOpenThrottle
02-12-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys.

The plans for the boosted setup are to go with a 388 all-bore, mild solid roller valve-train, dry-sump oiling system, twin 67mm turbos or one large frame 88 to 91 mm turbo. run it on a dual fuel system, E85 for the fun events and standard 93 for low boost stuff. Air to air intercooler, AMS for waste-gate control, the rest I can fill in as I go. Probably use cast manifolds for the exhaust side with some preparation performed on them (IE: thermal coatings, additional heat-shielding or blanketing, with possibly some initial extrude honing to the manifolds depending on what I go with for manifolds). I haven't put a whole lot of thought into that end of the build yet.

I recently just picked up a NVG149 transfercase out of Silverado SS and plan on digitizing it to add to my other drivetrain CAD stuff. So focusing on frame/suspension/AWD setup at the moment. Once I have those spacing/packaging requirements laid out I can look at cooling/forced-induction aspects of my build.

Here are some pics of the T-Case I got. Looking to make an adapter that will get this attached to the trans-axle I have. Then I have to work out the details of getting the out-put of the T-case to an IRS differential in a tight neat package.

Max

woodside783
02-14-2014, 10:37 AM
any pics of the a arms you made

WideOpenThrottle
02-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I didn't have to make arms. The arms on these trucks use a bolt in ball joint and after running the math on the geometry found that I can make adapters that can bolt into the factory location and accept the C5/C6 ball joints.

The attached pics are of the setup early on. It's changed quite a bit from the pics included, but it should give you an idea of how it's setup.

Max

XTRMEASURES
02-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Nice lil red truck looks real mean. Love the 6lug to 5lug i wish i can do that to my truck.

WideOpenThrottle
12-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Update... Starting to put some thought into this AWD setup. Thinking of doing a set of Winter's QC diff's. Have a CAD file that I have been using to shift things around in to get an idea what to do and how much room I have (not much). Here is a small screen shot. I hope to update this all a little more frequently than I have been. Let's see where this all goes... :)

I always feel like the Journey is usually better than the final destination on projects...

Max

RMerritts
12-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Love it, great to see another mid size on here. Any plans on a wider track/possibly flared out fenders?

Josue
12-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Subscribed!

Are you on 355nation.net too? I had a 04 regular cab ZQ8 Colorado for almost 7 years. 4/4 drop for years, then a 5/5 lift on 32's, then back to stock before trading it in on a family vehicle. After a few years in Mazda wagons, I'm back in a 05 crew cab Z71 4wd Canyon. Love these trucks!

no go nova
12-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Sweet truck what will you do fo the rear if you go awd?

WideOpenThrottle
12-13-2014, 09:34 PM
RMerritts,
Most Definitely, but nothing is for certain... I like to change my mind a lot :)

WideOpenThrottle
12-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Josue,
Yes I am. Same screen name.

Josue
12-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Nice.

I've been on that site since it started, back in late '06/early '07. Met a lot of good peeps over the years!

WideOpenThrottle
12-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Sweet truck what will you do fo the rear if you go awd?

Probably another quick change IRS diff mounted to a C5 Corvette Cradle and suspension.

no go nova
12-15-2014, 11:17 PM
Would be cool if you do the first tr6060 trans to a awd conversion. There stronger than the t56 so thats a option to if your going manual.

WideOpenThrottle
05-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Update... Got the body work mostly done. Here are some pics. It definitely took a while.

~Max

Motoracer838
05-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Nice job on your Canyon...

Joe

Autobahn-Outlaw
06-01-2018, 11:18 AM
WOW !
Very nice stance. What did you do to the truck ?

WideOpenThrottle
06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Lots...
C6 Z06 knuck integration up front
5 lug conversion
KSW Coil overs
Beltech sway bars
Kore 3 rear disc brake conversion
White line sway bar endlinks
C6 Z06 brake upgrade
Custom steering arm for sub .020" bump steer +/- 2" of travel
C-notch (needed for the 5" static drop)
Factory Xtreme Body kit (w/ factory brackets)

I probably forgot a few things...

Ls14
02-17-2023, 06:25 AM
Hey can you make an extra set of the knuckle adapters for the c6 knuckles for me for whatever you want cash wise?????? ����

WideOpenThrottle
02-17-2023, 08:41 PM
Hey can you make an extra set of the knuckle adapters for the c6 knuckles for me for whatever you want cash wise?????? ����

Hi, sorry, but there is way more to this than just simple ball joint adapters. In addition to the ball-joint adapters there were custom steering arm adapters I designed (I cut the aluminum knuckle's casting's arms off) and fabricated, ABS sensor amplifier to get the passive sensor to mimic the powered one it replaced, etc.... selling you a couple of adapters wouldn't do you any good and would honestly be a disservice. Are you just looking for a 5-lug conversion?

~Max