PDA

View Full Version : AutoBahn F-100

RobNoLimit
02-06-2014, 02:41 PM
This is a project we've been putting together for a while. Kai from "Street" Magazine in Germany has been hard at work to put this project together and get everyone involved on the right track. They are going to build an F-100 in their magazine, and then take it out to the AutoBahn and the Nurburgring. Of course we were excited and eager to be on board. Here are the basics.
No Limit Big-10 chassis, plumbed. Floater upgrade. Aluminum tank upgrade. Engine truss plate upgrade. Drop out battery box upgrade.
347 stroker Ford W. American Powertrain 6 speed. AFR cyl heads. Comp Cams. Canton oil pan. Edelbrock intake. Probe pistons. Mallory ign.
Chassis add ons include Ride Tech shocks, Flaming River Rack, and Wilwood Brakes.
The truck will have Automete gauges, IDIDIT column, Painless wiring and Russel plumbing.
19" OZ wheels and Dunlop rubber will provide the grip.

RobNoLimit
02-06-2014, 02:48 PM
The rear axle is a 9" with floating axles. 31 spline True Track. Rear suspension is standard Big -10 trailing arms, ride Tech coil overs - rocker arms mounted. The rockers are 1.6 ratio, so a 5" stroke coil over yeilds 8" of suspension travel. Panhard rod is below the axle CL, 36" eye to eye. The trailing arms are ported, and the rear brake lines travel inside the arms. The front pivit is an adjustable "Monster Ball". The billit block is a brake distribution block. It has a single feed in from the back side, a bledd port, and two outputs for the rear lines.

RobNoLimit
02-06-2014, 02:59 PM
The crusty block is there for two reasons. 1. to make sure everything fits. 2. it helps with the import hassles if there is a 'motor' in it. One tired 302. check. The shifter position is perfect, as long as you set the motor back 2". So the truck will be fitted with a Direct Sheetmetal firewall. Pedals will be Wilwood tandem brake with a balance bar, and a seporate clutch pedal and master. We plumbed the chassisto two #3 brake line fittings, flex lines will connect the master to the chassis plumbing. The plate with the large oval hole in it is for the battery. Our stainless drop out battery box mounts here. The new engine 'Truss' mount adds rigidity and makes future swaps a breeze by only changing the bolt-on reciever. Ford W, Ford C, Lima and Mod (Coyote) all fit the same truss.

RobNoLimit
02-06-2014, 03:02 PM
We won't see this all together in mock up. From here it gets crated to ship out to Germany. Ill get Kai to take this thread over and post up build picts.

Slick68
02-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Awesome!! This looks like a fun build.

Tig
02-07-2014, 05:48 AM
Its a shame all that work has to be covered up.
It looks amazing, great job.

Lookin forward to seeing it updated after it makes its long trip across the pond.

subd

Josh@Ridetech
02-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Nice! I can't wait to see this one finished.

AutoX_a_Truck?
02-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Cool build! I will be interested to see what it runs at the Nurburgring.

cornfedbill
02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Nice work as always. I really like this one. Lots of nice technical touches.

Guyt699
02-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Its a shame all that work has to be covered up.
It looks amazing, great job.

Lookin forward to seeing it updated after it makes its long trip across the pond.

subd

What he said!

RobNoLimit
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
I get a lot of questions about rear brakes on floaters. It's pretty easy. We make the adapter ring, to attach the rotor to the hub, and the weld on caliper mount. We have a two piece bolt together fixture that bolts around the axle housing and holds the caliper mount square during welding. At this point there is no E-brake, this truck will use a spot caliper on the yoke. We have also put secondary caliper mounts on the housings for small mechanical calipers on the rotor. Twin calipers per rotor and turning brakes can be done as well. this set up is a 13" x 1.1" rotor with a Wilwood Superlight caliper with 1.625" pistons. The second two picts show the housing in articulation and you can see the rocker movement.

bovey
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
When you design a chassis, in this case minus the body. How do you figure out the brake package without knowing the final weight, corner weight, etc?a

RobNoLimit
02-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I guess the answer is "experience". but really, We keep really good records of vehicle weights, spring rates, sway bar sizing, and brake systems. And, with having built over 100 F-100 in the past 20 yrs, you gain a lot of knowledge. Also, a very smart friend of ours gave me a cool spreadsheat that calculates brake balance vs. caliper/rotor/wt/wheelbase. I'd like to publish the work but I promissed to keep it tight. - property values and all. If you need any help with brake balancing let me know. - our C-10 count is up to 53 already. So we are gaining good info.

bovey
02-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Cool. Just curious. I have a feeling that smart friend is the same one who triggered this question from another thread. I'm very busy reading as I'm trying to sort out the next phase of my truck. As you can tell by my profile pic - I'd be curious about the maximum wheelbase on that spreadsheet... I'd also be curious about if you can reco engine set-back.

But enough about chevy's; this is a Ford build thread. Super happy to see this build btw. We need more variety. Cool stuff.

protouring70
02-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Awesome build....your workmanship says it ALL!

tigerracer
02-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Hey Rob,
I have my "Ring Card" I am offering my services to drive the truck at the Nurbergring.

Dale

snopro
02-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Hi Rob, Just a quick question about the truck arm suspension. Have you found that using square tube instead of the stamped steel factory style truck arms help much with handling capabilities of the vehicle and if so would round DOM tubing work well also?

Love all your builds BTW keep it up

Chris

RobNoLimit
02-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Hmm, here's what I know about trailing arms. Well, a bit of it anyway. One way or another, there has to be some 'Twist' in the arm, if you want the axle to rotate freely. By that I mean, 'tip' to one side. We want to use sway bars, shocks, springs, and roll centers to control and exploit body roll in a corner. - Not suspension bind. The OE truck arm has a fixed bushing and although it is rubber, it doesn't have much twist. But, the OE style I-beam construction does twist, pretty easily. As far as the OE goes, the twist is OK. Welding the arms, boxing them and adding urethane bushings (all the current hype) may be better for drag racing or high speed open track stuff, but will yield a stiffer ride, and cause the rear suspension to be a little less compliant on the street and short coarse. IMHO, round or square tube trailing arms with fixed urethane bushings may be the worst. No twist in the arm or the bushing. We use a square tube arm to reduce torque flex during acceleration and braking, coupled with a urethane bushed "Monster Ball" adjuster to allow plenty of twist, for full axle rotation. It's the best approach we have come up with.

snopro
02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
thanks for the info rob that all makes perfect sense. I noticed that on the TCI C10 it looks like they are doing a truck arm with a torque arm all with heim joints all to reduce torque flex? and would just adding an upper link to a stock truck arm set up help with this?

Tincup
02-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Awesome build, is that trailing arm setup something that you would sell?

Street-Garage
02-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanx Rob. I am listening now and will post more info and pics as we move along with the build.

Kai

Street-Garage
02-12-2014, 04:44 AM
This is a photo of the truck as it still sits in our garage waiting for the new chassis. Photo was taken at the Klassikstadt in Frankfurt.

We had the truck now just short of 30 years. However, it has been on our side of the pond since approx. 1978. Last time registered in the US in Ford Hood, TX. This truck was always rust free and has seen only a few drops of rain since we have it !

Even so it may look like it could not do any bad, it already has the 347 SBF stroker in it (still carburated). Matched to a C4 automatic and a 9 inch with a vintage N-Case, 3.50 gears and a limited slip diff. You can imaging that this truck hates to go a straight line and burns rubber whenever you slightly push the pedal. There is zero weight on the rear.

Rob mentioned most of the mods and products we'll we using. Just one major addition: we'll be converting from the current Holley DP to an Edelbrock EFI. Rob has already taken care of the tank, the pump and the dual lines (as you can see on his photos).

More to come ...

Kai

Guyt699
02-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Is that the King of over flow tanks?

Tig
02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
That looks AMAZING.
Has it been restored?

This is going to be good :)

mooseknuckles
02-15-2014, 08:09 PM
awesome build!

Street-Garage
02-16-2014, 04:22 AM
Here are more details on companies involved and the parts used:

Chassis / Suspension:
Chassis: No Limit Engineering Big 10 Chassis
Front Suspension: No Limit Engineering WIDE RIDE IFS
Rear Suspension: No Limit Engineering Trailing Arm Suspension
Coil Overs: Ridetech
Steering: Flaming River Road Race Rack&Pinion, Ididit Steering Column
Rear End: No Limit Engineering Full Floater 9 Inch / Detroit True Track / 3.50 Gears
Roll Cage: just a No Limit Engineering made mini hop for mounting the seat belts

Drive Train:
Motor: Ford 347 CID Coast High Performance / Probe Stroker
Heads: Air Flow Research AFR185
Valve Train: Comp Cams Full Roller
Induction: Edelbrock E-Street EFI on Performer RPM Air Gap Intake
Ignition: Mallory FireStorm
Oil System: Canton Road Race Pan, ACCUSUMP 3qt. System
Lubrication: Liqui Moly
Clutch: American Powertrain Science Friction 10.5” light effort clutch with woven Carbon Fibre disc. 500HP / 450 lb/ft torque
Transmission: American Powertrain Tremec Magnum close ratio 6-speed rated at 700lb/ft and 7.000rpm
Under Hood Plumbing: Russell Performance
EFI Tank and Fuel Plumbing: No Limit Engineering

Eletrical System / Gauges:
Wiring / Switch Panel: Painless
Gauges: Autometer Phantom II Series

Wheels / Tires / Spacers:
Wheels: OZ Racing ULTRALEGGERA HLT F: 19x10“ / R: 19x12“
Tires: Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX F: 295/30R19 / R: 315/30R19
Spacers: H&R TRAK+

Braking System:
Front: Wilwood Forged Superlite 4-Piston Calipers / 13“ SRP Rotors
Rear: Wilwood Forged Superlite 4-Piston Calipers / 13“ SRP Rotors
Pedal Assy: Wilwood Tripple Master Cylinder Pedal Unit
Plumbing / Mounting / Adapters: No Limit Engineering

I will be using all original sheet metal. No plastic. I have a set of fibre glas rear fenders, but decided not to use them.

The interior will be all business with two bucket seats and Schroth 5-point seat belts. And I will add a heater (wife's requirement).

More details later as they become available. The chassis left No Limit and is with the shipping company now. Hope they will have it in a container this coming week.

Kai

RobNoLimit
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
This is a whole box of Hot-Rodding ready to go. This is the last I will see of it for a while. Next time I see it in person, I will need a passport.

Street-Garage
02-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Dunlop just confirmed that they want to support us with their best tire available. The SportMAXX Race. OE on cool cars like the Porsche 911 GT3. And here's also a photo of the OZ wheels we will be using.

Autobahn-Outlaw
03-02-2014, 07:46 AM
Hey Kai and Rob,

i will follow this Thread here and in Germany, lol.
Very nice truck and parts.

Rob, i like the green truck in the pics backround, too ! What is it ?

Kai, very nice tire/wheel combination !
I am looking for the same combo for my Lightning or El Camino.
If you have a sponsordeal, i am listening.
We can do a truck-shootout on Nürburgring next summer, lol.

Klaus
www.outlaw-racing.de

Street-Garage
04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Klaus, ... lass mal sehen was du da hast bzw. planst !

Since the chassis is still on its way I have nothing better to do then post an updated drawing. Now with the final wheels and a little less tires. The Dunlops will be 30 or 35 series.

... and since I have to wrench on something I will start install a Maier Racing suspension into our 67 Mustang Convertible hopefully this coming weekend ...

Kai

roy.
04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
If you guys want a helping hand, let me know.. for 2 weeks in april it would be super to work with you guys.. i'm in milan right now.. it would really be an honor

Street-Garage
04-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanx for the offer, Roy. Unfortunately we won't have the chassis here yet. It is still on a ship which will not arrive in Germany before May 1. It will then take about a week to get it unloaded, thru customs and then into our shop.

Kai

gmjj13
04-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Awesome build! Can't wait to see this one go together. When you're ready to take it to the ring, let me know. I'd love to be there to see it run. Maybe I can bring my 69, or the 52 if she's running by then. ;-)

Chassis, looks killer, wish I could afford something like that for my 52. ;-) Just beautiful work. Again, awesome build and I look forward to the updates.

Street-Garage
05-29-2014, 10:45 AM
Finally last Friday the crate with my chassis arrived in Frankfurt. I picked it up at the trucking company and have it my shop now ... This is soooo cool !!!

Street-Garage
05-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Made some progress today installing front and rear suspension & brakes ... I want to make sure all fits before taking it apart again for plating and powder coating ...

Street-Garage
05-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Installed the Sanderson headers on my scrap motor and positioned the Flowmaster 44 as well as some pipe the way I want to install it as a preliminary exhaust system ... Have plans to change this later including some cut outs and a second set of mufflers ...

Street-Garage
05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
In case you wonder what you were seeing in the photos above:

Front end is No Limit Wide Ride IFS with Ridetech coil overs with 450lbs springs and Wilwood 12.88" Rotors and 4-piston Forged Superlite calipers.

Rear end is a 9 Inch with Schreiner full floater, Ridetech coil over with 200lbs springs, a N-case center section with Detroit True Track and also Wilwood 12.88" Rotors and 4-piston Forged Superlite calipers.

The motor is from a SoCal junk yard and is just there so that Rob was able to mount the bell housing and tranny in order to get the drive shaft done.

The transmission is an American Powertrain Tremec T56 Magnum 6-speed with close ratio gears matched to a Quick Time steel bell housing. I will be using a clutch with hydraulic throw out bearing also supplied by American Powertrain.

More to come ...

ArtosDracon
05-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Can we get a little more detail on the rear suspension, especially with the pushrod coil-overs, please?

Street-Garage
05-29-2014, 08:14 PM
That rear suspension is standard on No Limit's Big10 chassis which you can have for old Fords and Chevys.

RobNoLimit
05-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Nice progress guys. Yes, this is standard Big-10 chassis rear suspension. 1.6 - 1 ratio rocker yield 8" of suspension travel with 5" stroke coil overs. The billit rocker block holds two A-6 bearings, rated @ 2980 lbs each, or 5960 lbs on the pivot pin, plenty for a 3400 lb p/u. The nice thing is that shock squish and ride height are separate. - 1. Set shock squish at 55% of travel, by adjusting the spring, or spring rate. (no concern of ride height), then 2. Set ride height with the rocker link.

ArtosDracon
05-30-2014, 06:30 PM
If you guys come up with a Little-10 chassis for S10s and S10 Blazers that has this style rear suspension, you let me know! That is nicely done!

aggie91
06-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Love the picture of the beemer wagon pull the trailer with a "truck" chassis in the crate!

Sickcustoms a
06-15-2014, 11:49 PM
can't wait to see the progress on this build
I am based in South Africa and looking at doing a similar build however No Limit doesn't do RHD suspensions as of yet

RobNoLimit
06-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Yes, we can do RHD with a Flaming River rack.

can't wait to see the progress on this build
I am based in South Africa and looking at doing a similar build however No Limit doesn't do RHD suspensions as of yet

Sickcustoms a
06-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Rob
Thanks for that
I sent an enquiry to the office a few weeks ago and I got the answer that RHD wasn't available
That's why I made the comment
I also was also requesting more info on Frame

Regards
Hugh

Sickcustoms a
06-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Does anyone have a nice full side profile of the frame
I am trying to see how everything looks from the side since its a major adjustment to a stock frame

Sickcustoms a
06-17-2014, 12:13 AM
I am trying to see how everything looks from the side since its a major adjustment to a stock frame

Street-Garage
06-30-2014, 08:21 PM
I can take a photo when I get the chassis back from powder coating. Hopefully tomorrow.

Kai

RobNoLimit
06-30-2014, 10:09 PM

check our web site www.nolimit.net there are lots of chassis picts

Street-Garage
07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Chassis is back from powder coating. Started to mount stuff. Rear end is in. Wrenching with all new parts is great FUN !!! No vacation. Means wrenching in the evenings ...

Arrowhead
07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Kai, I knew something about this story was familiar, and the Factory Five banners in the shop gave you away! This is an awesome build and I've been researching doing something similar. Looks like you'll have something to park in the garage now. Keep us posted.

George

Street-Garage
07-09-2014, 12:22 PM
Still have the Factory Five Hot Rod, George. However, sad story. Still can not get it legal. Have not had it out on the road for many month. What a waste.

Street-Garage
07-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Rear suspension, EFI tank and fuel lines are mounted ...

Street-Garage
07-09-2014, 12:30 PM
Schreiner Full Floater Hubs and Wilwood Rear Brakes are also mounted ...

Sickcustoms a
07-09-2014, 10:37 PM
looking good Kai keep the momentum going and can't wait to see it all come together

Street-Garage
07-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Started to mount the front suspension ...

Sickcustoms a
07-11-2014, 03:04 AM
looking good

Street-Garage
07-16-2014, 05:15 AM
Front suspension and brakes almost complete. Now waiting for a couple of parts from No Limit in order to complete the chassis. Now I am checking how to route wires (lights, fuel pump, ...) as well as an AN-10 hose for my 3qt. Accusump to the rear.

Street-Garage
07-16-2014, 05:16 AM
... sorry for some photos to be sideways. Don't know why that happens. Photos are correct on my computer ...

Street-Garage
07-16-2014, 05:18 AM
... just in case Rob is listing. Where do these two go ?

brawls43
07-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Residual pressure valves go between your master cylinder and brake calipers, before you split for the sides. So one valve for front, one for rear. This image from Speedwaymotors.com should help explain what I'm trying to say.

Street-Garage
07-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Thank you. Makes sense, but means I have to modify the already completed brake lines to get these two into the system. The Big 10 chassis comes with all hard lines installed. Wonder why the valves are not included. May be Rob will enlighten us here.

brawls43
07-17-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure how the hardline is set up, but I'd guess there is a connection running to the front and one to rear. Maybe two of each, depending on the planned proportioning valve. I think at a minimum, the residual pressure valves install at the outlet of the master cylinder. Either between the master cylinder and the proportioning valve, or maybe between the proportioning valve and the hardline.

RobNoLimit
07-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes Kai, everything is already plumbed. I'll post up some picts for you.

RobNoLimit
07-19-2014, 12:06 PM
OK this is from a chassis that we shipped Friday. From the center of the chassis, under the 'X' member ledge, the valving mounts to the X rail in pre-cut holes. For the front brakes there is a bulkhead and nut, then a 1/8" pipe nipple (hex), then the 2 lb. RCV. the last fitting is an adapter 1/8" NPT to #3AN. For the rear Brakes, the adjustable proportioning valve bolts to the X rail, then a 1/8" pipe nipple attaches the 2 lb. RCV, then a 1/8" NPT to 3/16" IF. adapter connects to the output line. Following the rear line back, it passes through the X rail at its termination point at the rear brake junction block. The block mounts to the 'Center' side of the X rail - the holes are pre cut. From this point the rear flex lines travel to the rear brakes through the trailing arms. - Note that there is a bleed point on the block.

RobNoLimit
07-19-2014, 12:09 PM
From the top you can see how the front bulkhead passes through the X rail and to the front brakes. With the booster and master installed, the connection is made with #3 Teflon AN line. - Short 14" hose to the front, longer 16" for the rear.

Hope this helps.

CruizinKev
07-22-2014, 02:56 AM
wow looks awesome so far!! :twothumbs

Street-Garage
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
Spoke with Rob a few days ago. My chassis is plumbed differently as I will be using a Wilwood pedal box with swinging pedals mounted to the fire wall. Therefore I will not need a proportioning valve and I do not really need the residual pressure valves either. However, since I have the Rob suggested to mount them right onto the master cylinder outlets. The reason for needing these is when the master cylinder is mounted lower than the brake calipers. My master cylinders are way higher.

Street-Garage
07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
My T56 Magnum took a little tour to the Street Magazine car show in Hannover (1.500 cars and 600 bikes) this past weekend. Matt and Gray from American Powertrain came over the big pond for that. Check out the rusty stand I built for the tranny using a Chrysler rim.

Motown 454
08-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Awesome build. The frame looks killer. I can't wait to seethe body on it.

Street-Garage
08-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Things are slow right now. Waiting for parts. Bought a set of S10 steel wheels with tires for about $135. My OZ Racing wheels will just be manufactured after the summer break at OZ and I need to move the chassis around. I was very much surprised that these 15 inters actually clear the 12.88" rotors with the calipers mounted. It is very tight with about 1mm clearance. Good enough.

Street-Garage
08-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Started to make a very simple exhaust using two Flowmaster 44s. Bought 2 1/2 inch exhaust tubing, but this stuff is so bad that it did not survive bending in a professional bending machine. Had to weld my 67 degree bends using pieces from a 180 degree bend. In order to get the truck running I will exit above the running boards right behind the cab. Will make a full exhaust to the rear later and then use cut outs to exit again were my exhaust ends now.

Street-Garage
08-27-2014, 12:12 PM
The chassis is pretty much done. Just need to torque a couple of nuts and bolts.

Sorry for another side way photo.

I need a couple of torque settings for the No Limit Wide Ride IFS and the rear suspension of the Big10 chassis. So in case Rob is listening, here's what I need:

1. upper front control arm to chassis
2. lower front control arm to chassis
3. upper front coil over mount
4. steering rack to chassis
5. panhard bar to chassis and to the rear end mount
6. rear coil over mount, both ends

All standard nuts and bolts are torqued in accordance with the relevant torque settings that you find all over the web.

The truck is still in one piece and I will drive it one more time to a cruise night in a couple of days. The very next day the swap will start. Can't wait.

Kai

Street-Garage
09-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Started to take the truck apart. Also got my new rims and tires today.

low68
09-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Looking good! It will look pretty awesome on the new frame!

Street-Garage
09-11-2014, 08:26 PM
Could not wait. Had to mount at least one side to see if they fit. I did make my own tool to measure, but things can go wrong because you overlooked something. I did not and they fit. May need some custom spacers later to fit them perfectly, but this is a very good start I think. Quite happy now.

... and yes, the front wheels touch the sway bar. Need to find a solution for that.

low68
09-13-2014, 12:52 PM
No limit offers an upgraded splined bar for the 67-72 front bar that may allow the arms to be closer to the frame. I got one with mine, but I haven't put it on yet, so I am not sure where the position of the arms is. I will see if I can pull it out and look at if for you.

Wheels look great also!

low68
09-13-2014, 07:03 PM
So I looked at the sway bar that I got from No Limit tonight. The width was roughly 34" from outsides edges of the arms.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/20140913_181010_zpsv60tdbnh-1.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/lowsixtyeight/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140913_181010_zpsv60tdbnh.jpg.html)

Here is a photo of how it looks to give you a better idea of the extra clearance. With the shape and bends in the arms, I will have to mount this bar towards the top of the frame to get the angles lined up for the links to the upper control arms. If nothing else, hopefully this will give you some ideas. Good luck!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2014/09/20140913_180054_zpspjxopka5-1.jpg (http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/lowsixtyeight/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140913_180054_zpspjxopka5.jpg.html)

Street-Garage
09-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanx. That looks interesting. Wonder how much more clearance this will give. Also wonder why the bar could not be even shorter. I.e. barely as wide as the frame width plus the spline for the arms. 10" wheels in front is freakin wide. But the more the better, right ? Will talk with Rob when they have settled in their new location in TN.

FRENCHBLUE72
10-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Good looking effie...

Street-Garage
10-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Motor (my old 347 for now, will be converted to Edelbrock F.I. later) and tranny (American Powertrain T56 Magnum 6-Speed as well as their clutch) are now mounted, waiting for a 1350 slip yoke in order to get the aluminum drive shaft installed, wiring started, using Painless cable loom as well as many of their other products, ...

Street-Garage
10-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Took the body off my old chassis and started to see how it fits the new chassis, need to work the fire wall before I can get it down as I had NL move my engine back as far as possible, not sure yet if I will use the new fire wall I bought from NL or modify mine ...

Street-Garage
11-02-2014, 01:18 AM
I decided against cutting the whole fire wall out ... just cut a hole big enough for my SBF ... should also fit a Windsor ... Front cab mounts are installed ... now working the rear ones ... cab sits almost where it will be when I am done ... also now have the OZ Racings / Dunlops mounted on all four corners ...will trial fit a front fender to see how much room I have ...

Street-Garage
11-02-2014, 01:31 AM

Sickcustoms a
11-02-2014, 02:23 AM
coming on nicely
so you back in Germany??

Street-Garage
11-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Yes, back since Wednesday ... Tons of things to do on the truck ...

Street-Garage
11-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Fender check ... plenty of room for 10x19 with 285s up front ...

Sickcustoms a
11-03-2014, 12:42 AM
looking Good :)

Rod
11-03-2014, 05:49 AM
excited to see it run

bovey
11-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Awesome to see the progress. Garage question: that in floor lift is amazing. Who makes it? Do you like it? What are the drawbacks, if any?

Thanks,
Bovey

chevymike
11-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Awesome to see the progress. Garage question: that in floor lift is amazing. Who makes it? Do you like it? What are the drawbacks, if any?

Thanks,
Bovey

Yeah, I agree, more info about the lift setup. Very cool.

Great work on the truck!

Street-Garage
11-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Thanx for the kind words, guys. I also cannot wait to get behind the wheel. But before I can get there I need to install one :-) ... The lift is from a German company called "Twin Busch" (designed in Germany and made in China - I assume) ... http://www.twinbusch.de ... Street Garage is the shop of the German Street Magazine ... we do projects with simple tools and under same conditions our readers could or would ... no fancy shop ... what you see is all we have got ... just some storage upstairs and a few work benches next door ... therefore we needed a lift which is completely hiding when not not in use ... their hydraulic double scissor lift is the cheapest on the market and is OK for semi professional usage ... heard that it won't work when it gets to cold due to the oil ... will see .. our shop is not heated and we still wrench when temps get below freezing :-) ...

Kai
Hanau/Germany

Street-Garage
11-26-2014, 09:50 PM
The unfinished project is now on display at the Essen Motorshow. Germany's largest aftermarket and tuning trade show. The photos were taken a day before the official start of setting the stands up. I will post one taken when the show is in full swing this coming Sunday.

Sickcustoms a
11-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Awesome work Kai
Really impressed on the build

RobNoLimit
11-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Very cool. I like the "Too fat to Fly" tag.

Street-Garage
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Cool Pro Touring LS powered Camaro next to my truck at the Essen Motorshow ... and no, I also do not like the head lights !

Street-Garage
12-10-2014, 01:21 PM
... got badly soaked when we loaded up this past Sunday ... rain / snow mix on the way back to the shop ...

Street-Garage
12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Also in the row was this Eleanor ... made in Germany ... top notch w/o any doubt ... I am just not sure if I like the LS motor ... sticker price was €189,000 which is about $235,000 ... wish I had only half of this money ...

Street-Garage
12-12-2014, 12:23 PM
One of the really good things about having my F100 in Essen was that there was a Small Block Ford motor on a stand just on the opposite side of the hall ... my Sanderson FF3FM headers that Rob suggested do not fit ... "head on collision" with the steering ... not just a little bit ... reason could be that i had my motor mounts moved back as much as possible ... I was not sure what to do ... the Small Block Ford had a set of Hedman block huggers P/N 88400 for a 67/68 Mustang and they clear my steering perfectly ... on my shopping list now ... Big Thank you to the guys from that other stand to let me try their headers ...

A.I.I.
12-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Man I love this build, can't wait to see it finished!

Maybe I missed it but what mufflers are you running? I've heard NoLimitRob has a new muffler he's started selling, and I think it would be a perfect fit for this beauty :)

Street-Garage
12-14-2014, 09:16 AM
The mufflers are Flowmaster 44s ... This is just to get it running .. I am thinking of a full length exhaust system later and may run cut outs with exits left and right above the running boards in front of the rear fenders ... just like I have it now ...

Street-Garage
09-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Sorry for staying radio silent for the past 9 month or so. Business kept me away from my project, but I am back now. The body went off and on a few times. Finished the fire wall mod. Seats are in the cab. Steering is done. Had to get another set of headers as the Sanderson headers would not clear the steering. Exhaust is welded, but needs to be taken apart for coating. Drive shaft installed after changing the yoke. Axles are in the full floater rear end. All fluids are in. Just last night I did the bleeding of the brakes and the hydraulic throw out bearing. Now working the wiring, gauges and all the electrical stuff.

Dr G
09-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Hey, I forgot about this build. Good to see you're still on it. Can't wait to see it on the Nurburgring. I read about the new speed limits for sections of the track, that's a shame in my opinion. But should still be fun!

Sickcustoms a
09-12-2015, 02:04 AM
Welcome back Kai
So good to see you back at your build
trust you are well

Sorry for staying radio silent for the past 9 month or so. Business kept me away from my project, but I am back now. The body went off and on a few times. Finished the fire wall mod. Seats are in the cab. Steering is done. Had to get another set of headers as the Sanderson headers would not clear the steering. Exhaust is welded, but needs to be taken apart for coating. Drive shaft installed after changing the yoke. Axles are in the full floater rear end. All fluids are in. Just last night I did the bleeding of the brakes and the hydraulic throw out bearing. Now working the wiring, gauges and all the electrical stuff.

Street-Garage
09-12-2015, 03:21 AM
Thanx guys. Good to be back. I was in and out San Diego fives times from Jan to Aug. Four weeks there and then 3 1/2 weeks in Germany. I did attend two Pomona and another big swap meet, the Grand Nat's and the L.A. Roadster shows, two Goodguys events (Del Mar and Pleasanton), a NASCAR and an Indy Car race and a cool Autocross (the latter with Mike Maier), countless small car shows in San Diego and the greater LA area as well as two air shows with WWII war birds. That was all pretty cool, but I had nothing to wrench on. At least I made the best out of my weekends. Enough for now. Back into the garage ... :-)

Street-Garage
09-13-2015, 04:19 AM
Since I have moved the engine back as much as possible, I had to cut the firewall. Bought an aftermarket firewall, but decided to cut only as much as needed and build my own. These photos show how much. Just enough clearance to get the valve covers off.

Peter Mc Mahon
11-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Any updates on this?

RobNoLimit
11-22-2017, 07:06 AM
maybe we can nudge Kai and get him to post some more. The truck has been done for a while and has been out and about. Lately they had it on the Ring and at Hockenheim, and to many shows in Germany. The back window has a cool script reading "Too Fat to Fly". They are having a good time with it.

beater65
11-22-2017, 09:52 AM
That's ashame they haven't kept us in the loop.

That thing has to be a blast

kingcrunch
11-23-2017, 04:54 AM
Kai,

do you plan to make it street legal or is this a red-plate project?
I'd be interested to know because of my D150 race/autobahn-truck.

Alex,
located in Bochum