PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start?

65 ElCamino
02-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Back in August last of year I bought myself a 65 El Camino for my first car.:razz: My original plan was to make a drag car out of it, but after seeing projects on this website i'v had a change of heart. The previous owner wanted to go with a pro touring theme for the car so he installed CPP lower and upper control arms as well as Hotchkis sway bars. If was to continue where he left off with the car where should i begin?

Here is the car the day i bought it!

Thanks, Jacob

bmbrzmn101
02-05-2014, 09:33 PM
Jacob, this is a tough question to answer. But what do you want and or enjoy about driving cars and in particular this one. What would you like to accomplish with your build. If drag racing is your goal I would probably choose a different car, much lighter with better weight characteristics, etc. If car show route, paint and interior for starters. PT route decide what you can afford to spend on the vehicle and make your choices from there. If your suspension is still in good shape decide if you need springs and or sway bars to compliment the arms you already have. Maybe steering or brakes. decide where you want to go with it then plan your route based on finances. Don't get in a hurry to buy something just to find out it won't help or causes 10 other changes you were not counting on.

If PT is your goal, I would address the suspension / brakes first as money allows if the vehicle runs. You can at least then do some events to get a feel for it decide if you still like it before putting more money into the project.

Just my .02,

Chris

BTW, nice elky!

65 ElCamino
02-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Jacob, this is a tough question to answer. But what do you want and or enjoy about driving cars and in particular this one. What would you like to accomplish with your build. If drag racing is your goal I would probably choose a different car, much lighter with better weight characteristics, etc. If car show route, paint and interior for starters. PT route decide what you can afford to spend on the vehicle and make your choices from there. If your suspension is still in good shape decide if you need springs and or sway bars to compliment the arms you already have. Maybe steering or brakes. decide where you want to go with it then plan your route based on finances. Don't get in a hurry to buy something just to find out it won't help or causes 10 other changes you were not counting on.

If PT is your goal, I would address the suspension / brakes first as money allows if the vehicle runs. You can at least then do some events to get a feel for it decide if you still like it before putting more money into the project.

Just my .02,

Chris

BTW, nice elky!
Thanks for your input! I bought the Elky because i'v always wanted a muscle car but also enjoy dirt bike riding and other related things so figured I could put the bed to good use. At this moment the car is not running but i have a 496 bbc i was going to put into it with the drag car goals. (not sure how that will change things) There is just so many companies to choose from i'm not sure where to start!!

P.S. Subbed to your build thread!

bmbrzmn101
02-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the sub.

Personally I am not a fan of big blocks for a PT build due to huge weight issues. Love the power though. SBC, LS,LQ engines do dominate the ranks for a reason. I also understand the bed use . I SBC crate motor and accessories will be cheaper to build and install unless you are looking for sheer HP numbers, the LS based motors seem to be able to build more power more easily and be more reliable and less leaky I have read. And either is about 200 lbs lighter than a BBC. LS downside is price and or programming.

Manual or auto for transmission would be next along with diff and gears, I am going to pull my 10 bolt and build a 9". I know a 10 should be able to live a while under moderate power but the strength and adaptability of the 9" outweigh the 10 bolt to me. Noticing yours to be originally 283 powered I assume you still have a 10 bolt. If so no problem, but the gear and diff choices are greater with the 9" or even the 12 bolt. Just something to think about.

Again, if it were me that bbc would be in a dedicated drag car and let the elky tow the drag car to races and haul the bike to the desert. Then take the elky to a track where it can go left and right real quick just for fun.

Still up to what you want, it's yours. Have fun doing what you want with it.

Chris

65 ElCamino
02-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the sub.

Personally I am not a fan of big blocks for a PT build due to huge weight issues. Love the power though. SBC, LS,LQ engines do dominate the ranks for a reason. I also understand the bed use . I SBC crate motor and accessories will be cheaper to build and install unless you are looking for sheer HP numbers, the LS based motors seem to be able to build more power more easily and be more reliable and less leaky I have read. And either is about 200 lbs lighter than a BBC. LS downside is price and or programming.

Manual or auto for transmission would be next along with diff and gears, I am going to pull my 10 bolt and build a 9". I know a 10 should be able to live a while under moderate power but the strength and adaptability of the 9" outweigh the 10 bolt to me. Noticing yours to be originally 283 powered I assume you still have a 10 bolt. If so no problem, but the gear and diff choices are greater with the 9" or even the 12 bolt. Just something to think about.

Again, if it were me that bbc would be in a dedicated drag car and let the elky tow the drag car to races and haul the bike to the desert. Then take the elky to a track where it can go left and right real quick just for fun.

Still up to what you want, it's yours. Have fun doing what you want with it.

Chris
I want to be able to drive the car SO bad! So what i'm thinking is that I should put the car together so i can go from point A to point B reliably for now and once i graduate college redo the whole car. Its just so hard to frequent the website and see projects being completed and not want to do it with my own. For now i guess ill just read up on things and wait for more guidance. Does anyone on the forum AutoX with a big block in their car?