PDA

View Full Version : Torsen T2R

SHANE 73Z
09-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Hey all,

It appears that a rebuild of the center section of my rear axle is in order, as the pinion bearings are on their way out.

With that in mind, this would be an opportune time to change differentials as well. The car is currently setup as follows:

Mild 350 (325 HP max) power level will never exceed 500 HP
Tko600
Gm 10 bolt 3.73 r&p stock limited slip 90K miles - New axles, wheel bearings & seals

MY question is will the performance benefits be worth the cost? What is involved with the setup of the torsen? Can anyone point me to some pricing of the unit itself? Can the c-clips be retained with this unit?

I have noticed that there are several different models of the Torsen as well, which should I be looking at? T2, T2R??

The car will be primarily street driven, with driving school/open track events a few times a year and maybe a couple test & tunes at the strip. The car will be retaining its stock style but modded suspension setup.

Any help is appreciated,
Shane

SHANE 73Z
09-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey guys,

I finally found a good source of info on these things. It turns out for a street/open track day car the T2 model is more than sufficient. The extra biasing of the T2R is only evident in tight corners such as AutoX events.

Heres a link

http://www.on-trackperformance.com/

They seem to be pretty knowledgable guys that didnt try to sell me the most expensive part. They asked all the right questions as well.

Take care,
Shane

Q ship
09-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Jeez Shane, sorry I missed this. If you go to www.frrax.com in the drivetrain forum there is a lot of info. You may have to register to do a search.

Good to hear about on-track, one of the principals is Mark Wilson, over at C-C.com he is 93SVTCobra. They carry the T2 for a 10-bolt? I'll need one also.

SHANE 73Z
09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Q-ship,

Here is everything that I know about Torsens!

The difference between the T2 & T2R are twofold, The T2 has a 2.5:1 bias ratio. This is achieved using only the helical gears.

The T2R has a 4:1 bias ratio but uses an additional spring pack for the extra bias ratio.

They are both available for the 8.5" 10 bolt. The T2 is available in both 28 & 30 spline. The T2R is available in 30 spline and a 28 spline is available by custom order.

Oh yeah, pricing for the T2 is $400 and $600 for the T2R.

Take care,
Shane