PDA

View Full Version : My own 'G' mod

jeffandre
09-12-2005, 03:03 AM
Let me know what you think of what I did on my 71 Camaro. I wouldn't normally go through this much trouble but since I had to custom machine my Del-a-lum's to fit my Vette Brakes control arms I went ahead and applied a little critical thinking to the process first. I setup the UCA bushings both on the crossshaft as well as within the arm holes to position the upper arm rearward about 1/4". I also setup the LCA bushings within the arms to position them forward about 1/8". I am guesstimating about 1.5 degrees of increased caster just by doing this (maybe more?).

Of course I could have drilled and relocated my upper arms but a few things kept me from doing that. One, the big tires are already back far enough at full stop, so hopefully moving the LCA's forward a bit will help keep the ties relatively centered within the wheel opening. And two, I had to machine and custom tweak the bushings anyway so it really wasn't that much extra work. Anyway, let me know what you think! Good idea? Bad? If bad, why? Thanks,

Marcus SC&C
09-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Not a bad idea since you were at it already. I`d guess the net caster gain to be more like +3/4* but all it cost was time so hey why not? 2nd gens don`t need as much geometry help as 1st gens so you`re not loosing all that much by not moving the UCA cross shafts down. Marcus

MrQuick
09-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey Jeff, you know the rules! pictures my man!

Atleast you will avoid the 3" stack of shims!

David Pozzi
09-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Good thinking, but not enough gain. A tubular upper arm or upper frame bracket relocation is probably still needed to get positive caster to where it "needs" to be, around +5 degrees.

jeffandre
09-16-2005, 06:02 AM
Vince, pics will be delivered when I get the driver's side LCA installed (still need to paint it). I am slow, so be patient.

David, I figured it may not be enough, but every little bit helps. I will use my digital level to check the alignment specs as soon as the LCA is installed. If I need more, I will move the upper mount when I do a future engine swap.