PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my boosted engine! (Please)

madmax
09-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey everyone!

Bodywork on my car is starting... and its that time! She needs a heartbeat. My goals are to hit 10s at the strip and have a nice weekend cruiser. (Looking for 650hp... or more if I ever decide to up the boost).

It is going to be a blown smallbock. I'll be using a Procharger P-1SC or D-1SC. Hopefully I will pony up and spring for the D-1SC.

It is going to be carb'ed. I don't really want to mess around with FI (it would be nice... but I don't have any experience. Plus, thats another couple grand that I don't have right now.)

I would like to do as much of the work myself as possible to save cash. Now, I know that I'm going to have to get SOME things done by a shop, but I can put an engine together.

What would you build? I would ask for specifics, too (like rod legnth, etc) because I can't choose the parts. If I have the parts I can put it together, but I can't design an engine. I think something >400ci would be nice and torquey and fun for the street, and pretty good for the strip.

I'm looking at an aftermarket block right now (probably in the form of a Dart Little M) and the highest quality stuff I can buy... because I am going to scrounge. Where a forged piece would work, I'm just going to watch the 'net, ebay, etc. for the better stuff. I've seen brand new Oliver billet rods go for about $900. Billet cranks for $1,200 (I also may have a local source for them).

So you dream it, and I'll build it! But seriously, thanks for taking time here. I'm 17... so when I say 'I can build it'... thats with a little help from my pops.

Thanks,
--Max

WS6
09-14-2005, 07:47 PM
get the D1. build a stroked small block to keep costs down and you already know to use forged peices. you should be able to use a production SBC too. unless you just want that aftermarket block.

the biggest thing i can suggest though is since you dont know what your doing is to find a local shop and work closely with them. seriously. the machine work is not going to be cheap if you want the engine to be any good. you need to find a competent shop anyway. so find one thats willing to talk to you and tell you want you need and what you dont need. they may be able to save you a lot of money as well. personally i wouldnt spend the money on a dart block. i would find a salvage yard 350 with a one peice rear main. four bolt splay the bottom end and stroke it to 383 at least. that won't cost a whole lot to do and should be perfectly fine for tens. besides all the power is made in the top end which is where you should spend the majority of you money and time researching.

madmax
09-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks Trey,

I don't know any really competent shops around me. It is pathetic. I was in league with a guy, but I don't know if he is going to work out. I did find one decent shop, but the labor is way to much and the guy I talked to didn't really have much of an imagination.

As far as the Dart block, I have a budget that I intend to stick (closely :fingersx:) to, but use the best possible parts... and get my money out in the end. I'm building the car with just about everything top of the line, but it isn't going to have a hi-tech LSx motor in it, so I'm going to try to beef that part of it up for resale.

I also want something nice and torqey for the street, because thats where it is going to live most of the time.

If anybody has a CI recommendation, or a good (cheap!) shop in the Tampa area, please chime in :). It would be nice if one of the members here took me under their wing :).

Thanks,
Max