PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Air Temp Sender (ATS)

esenior
09-11-2005, 05:18 PM
I've got a 69 Camaro with a Roots style supecharger (EFI) on a 502 Big Block. I need to mount the Air Temp Sender (using a FAST ECU), but there isn't any room to mount it in the throttle body. I was considering mounting it in the hood itself, but that's my last choice (don't want wires hanging down).

Can it be mounted in the cowl area (from the interior through the cowl where the wiper transmission is)? This would be the cleanest install since the ECU is mounted under the dash (one less set of wires to run through the firewall). Thoughts?

Here's a pic to show what I'm babbling about.....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/69SS502_050706_05_ATSJPG-1.jpg

camcojb
09-11-2005, 08:22 PM
You can put it there and it would work. On a blown engine I'm more concerned with the air temp that the motor sees, and so I put the sensor after the blower, not before. Easy to do on turbos and centrifugals, and harder on a roots. You'd have to tap into the intake manifold under the blower. The Lightnings come with one this way and it's the only true way to know the real air temps and have the computer adjust correctly. You may be getting some very high temps under the blower while the ambients change very little, so any a/f adjustment or timing retarding would be off.

It will work up there, just not the ideal way to go.

Jody

esenior
09-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the input Jody. I didn't think that the sender would work right in the manifold due to the boost/heat, but if this is the preferred location, then I'll put it in the manifold. Luckily enough, there are 2 plugs at the back of the manifold. One is blocked by the distributor, but the other should work fine (see arrow) :

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/69SS502_040622_02_ATSJPG-1.jpg

I appreciate the help!

---Eric Senior

EFI69Cam
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM
I've got a 69 Camaro with a Roots style supecharger (EFI) on a 502 Big Block. I need to mount the Air Temp Sender (using a FAST ECU), but there isn't any room to mount it in the throttle body. I was considering mounting it in the hood itself, but that's my last choice (don't want wires hanging down).

Can it be mounted in the cowl area (from the interior through the cowl where the wiper transmission is)? This would be the cleanest install since the ECU is mounted under the dash (one less set of wires to run through the firewall). Thoughts?

Here's a pic to show what I'm babbling about.....

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/09/69SS502_050706_05_ATSJPG-1.jpg

Sorry to jack your thread, but who makes that setup (the supercharger/intake?)

andrewb70
09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the input Jody. I didn't think that the sender would work right in the manifold due to the boost/heat, but if this is the preferred location, then I'll put it in the manifold. Luckily enough, there are 2 plugs at the back of the manifold. One is blocked by the distributor, but the other should work fine (see arrow) :

I appreciate the help!

---Eric Senior

The point of the air temp sender is to measure the air intake temperature that the engine is seeing. So if you don't put it in the manifold, the it will not work correctly. I have no doubt you will see air intake temsp in the 150-170 range and your FAST ECU needs to know that so that it can make appropriate calculations for fuel and spark given those intake temps.

BTW that set-up is from Whipple.

Andrew

esenior
09-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I don't know a heck of a lot about EFI, but I'm learning thanks to this great community.

And Andrew is correct. This is a Whipple setup. 3.1 Liter Lysholm (sp?) Supercharger with a Whipple intake and 2100cfm throttle body. I wanted to go intercooled, but no way I could fit another 1.5" under the stock hood!

---Eric

dannyho
04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
can those air filters really flow enough air to push a 502 on boost?