PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Cali!?!

fishtail8
01-25-2014, 09:55 AM
What's happening guys, been a long time since I set foot on the board. It's been busy with life around these parts and I just never got here. Still been driving the car tho, finally killed the engine after 13 hard years on it so the car is in rebuild mode. Main reason for the post tho, towards the end of February I'm flying out to Daytona to catch the big race and then heading to California for 5-6 days after. There's some family in Beaumont to see, but I 'm looking for what else a car guy should be doing down there? Drives that I've got to take the rental car on, car shows or cruise nights to take in? I can't remember if it's Mullholland Drive or the highway that's supposed to be the good one. See what you Cali guys can chime in with, I've wanted to come down there for a long time so this'll be fun! Who knows, if I like it there that much I just might try and stay!

spacepirate
01-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Both Mullholland and the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway 1) are beautiful drives. I think there is a Camaro cruise in every other weekend in Huntington Beach that's supposed to be pretty neat. Petersen Museum on Wilshire is always a good stop.

raustinss
01-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Sit your ass on the beach and be happy your not in oil country lol.....btw cheers I just got in from shoveling the driveway and only have a couple feet of snowbanks outside . Enjoy the vacation
Ryan Austin
Oh not sure where your going in California but foose does shop tours

SShep71
01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
What is there to do in Cali?

- Get pulled over by CHP
- IN & OUT
- Get harassed by environmentalists
- IN & OUT again
- Sit in traffic
- Drive the PCH and take "selfies"
- Local car hangouts.......and get harassed by CHP
- Drive to San Diego and make jokes about it being "A Whales Vagina"
- Get passed by hoards of Prius owners while they harass you for killing the environment
- You can drive down and help me clean my garage.

There is lots to do down there, when you come up with a plan for what areas you will be in post it up. There are lots up us in CA and most will prob be willing to point you in the right direction. There are two rules though.... No fanny packs, and no fanny packs.

71maroesteban
01-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Get pulled over all the time I got pulled over 6 times the other day when I took my Camaro out and got lectured at the gas station by some soccer mom in her hybrid how my car makes me look uneducated?:/

scott_fx
01-25-2014, 02:33 PM
if you have something that can handle a corner, drive on this road:
Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area, Malibu, CA 90265 (https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=malibu+Piuma+Rd&aq=&sll=34.098515,-118.652172&sspn=0.071572,0.132093&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Piuma+Rd,+Malibu,+California+90265&ll=34.066312,-118.668394&spn=0.071599,0.132093&z=14&iwloc=A)

fishtail8
02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Some good suggestions so far, with the exception of cleaning out the garage. Someone else suggested the Angeles Crest Highway for a good drive, with an out of the way food stop along the route? I've already thought about hitting the Peterson, swing by Hot Rod and see if the Roadkill guys are in the garage, visit Irwindale speedway before it supposedly gets wrecked after next race season? And maybe get pulled over too. Why not....

Tomswheels
02-04-2014, 08:05 AM
On Saturday mornings, early, check out either Cars and Coffee in Irvine or Donut Derelicts in Hunington Beach. Also if there is a Pomona swap meet while your here its worth checking out...

Sales-TCI-Eng
02-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Beaumont is well, pretty much an hour and a half from the nearest beach. Worth the drive for Cars & Coffee though. Make sure to check out Oak Glen since it is just a couple miles up Beaumont Ave. The road back there is a heck of a lot of fun and not driven as much as some of the mor epopular roads out there. I live in Yucaipa which is right next door to Beaumont so I know the area really well. Make sure to stop by our shop, I'll give you a tour.

PSCA is @ Fontana the last weekend of the month as is the Pomona Swap Meet.

-Jason

Sales-TCI-Eng
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Here are a few other car shows/happenings going on in February. The Petersen Museum is another must see.

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

-Jason

Nothingface5384
02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Get pulled over all the time I got pulled over 6 times the other day when I took my Camaro out and got lectured at the gas station by some soccer mom in her hybrid how my car makes me look uneducated?:/

lmao serious? I'd probably be pissed and screaming at every single soccer mom lol
btw, doesnt their battery produce more carbon footprint then the life of any Gas hog 60s-70s v8car or even diesel truck ?
Can always say you have a hybrid too, burns Gas and Rubber :-)

on a sidenote it seems like Hybrid/electric cars will be possibly be phased out starting nextyear with the release FuelCell cars

71maroesteban
02-04-2014, 10:01 AM

lmao serious? I'd probably be pissed and screaming at every single soccer mom lol
btw, doesnt their battery produce more carbon footprint then the life of any Gas hog 60s-70s v8car or even diesel truck ?
Can always say you have a hybrid too, burns Gas and Rubber :-)

on a sidenote it seems like Hybrid/electric cars will be possibly be phased out starting nextyear with the release FuelCell cars yep wish I wasn't the cops here pull me over all the time for nothing I got a fix it ticket for excessive exhaust noise and then was waiting for an hour while the cop realized I didn't need smog >.> cause he said theirs no way I passed smog and was illegal for me to drive the car and lol right electric cars are just so impractical especially after they have all ready made a car that runs on water but the dude who invented it years ago had an "accident" and all his work "vanished"

Mkelcy
02-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Some good suggestions so far, with the exception of cleaning out the garage. Someone else suggested the Angeles Crest Highway for a good drive, with an out of the way food stop along the route? I've already thought about hitting the Peterson, swing by Hot Rod and see if the Roadkill guys are in the garage, visit Irwindale speedway before it supposedly gets wrecked after next race season? And maybe get pulled over too. Why not....

The Angeles Crest Highway is a legendary road for motorcyclists and sports car drivers. Roughly 60 miles of twisties from La Canada (the 210 freeway) to Wrightwood. The western end (from La Canada to the restaurant) is tighter; the eastern end (from the restaurant to Wrightwood) is more open and faster. You can get to the eastern end pretty easily from Beaumont if the road's not closed for winter. If the road's partially closed (they normally close part of it from west of Wrightwood to east of the ski areas), you can get to the Angeles Forest Highway and take it to the ACH.

The restaurant is Newcomb's Ranch. They have a website and a Facebook page. There's also a Facebook page for the Angeles Crest Highway itself.

Check the weather before you go. If you go on a weekend, the earlier you can go the better. There is very limited legal passing, and very limited passing opportunities even if you cross the doubles. It's also heavily patrolled by the CHP (including motorcycle CHP) on the weekends.

UNBROKEN
02-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Cars and Coffee in Irvine is OK at best....Supercar Sunday in Woodland Hills right off the 101 on Sunday mornings is better. Plus it's on Topanga Canyon so you can shoot right onto Mulholland Hwy when it ends at 10am. There's tons of nice roads but no road around here tops the Rock Store stretch of Mulholland. It gets packed with cars and bikes at the parking area up by Kanan and Leno brings something different out every weekend when he's in town. When you get tired up there shoot down Kanan or Malibu Canyon to PCH and there's plenty of sights in Malibu.

Hell...I think I just described my every Sunday ritual. lol

fishtail8
02-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the ideas guys, sounds like I'm going to be logging some hard miles on the rental. I've got to do some more research on how to get into the basement of the Peterson, or out to leno's place. Doubt he'd let me in tho!

Jason, I'll be in touch, I'd love to check out some of the shops I keep hearing and reading about year after year. We're pretty heavy into Super Late Model racing like they have at irwindale so I totally dig shop tours. Hell maybe I'll apply for a job!

Sales-TCI-Eng
02-11-2014, 10:01 AM
There is a dirt track in Perris (roughly 20 miles away from Beaumont). They have a practice event on February 22nd and opening day is March 1st.

"March 1 "Opening Night" AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES
Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and American Factory Stocks, CDCRA Dwarf Cars "

Check out the link for more details.
http://www.perrisautospeedway.com/

Every Tuesday night they have an autocross at this facility. $20 per session - the rental car won't mind if you do
http://www.adamsmotorsportspark.com/racing/time-attackgrip/

Check out this thread for more info on that^^^ https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/70472-SoCal-Time-attack-tuesdays

There is also a Motorsports Museum in Riverside.
http://www.riversideinternational.org/Welcome_to_the_Riverside_International_Automotive_ Museum.html

I could go on and on with non car related stuff too if you're interested.

-Jason

cmraman
02-11-2014, 10:07 AM
What is there to do in Cali?

- Get pulled over by CHP
- IN & OUT
- Get harassed by environmentalists
- IN & OUT again
- Sit in traffic
- Drive the PCH and take "selfies"
- Local car hangouts.......and get harassed by CHP
- Drive to San Diego and make jokes about it being "A Whales Vagina"
- Get passed by hoards of Prius owners while they harass you for killing the environment
- You can drive down and help me clean my garage.

There is lots to do down there, when you come up with a plan for what areas you will be in post it up. There are lots up us in CA and most will prob be willing to point you in the right direction. There are two rules though.... No fanny packs, and no fanny packs.

You forgot In and Out