PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Fuel Line

tonyvol
01-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Hey guys, I'm installing 1/2 Stainless steel fuel on my camaro and there is spot where it comes in contact with the frame. I was thinking about putting a rubber hose over the line to protect it where it's hitting the frame, but it raises the line too high and I can't get the clamp to hold it in place. With the clamp tighten down without a rubber hose protecting the line, there is no movement of the fuel line. I've heard that stainless is sort of brittle. Do you think the line will crack or rub threw over time even though there isn't any movement from vibration? The line is super tight to the frame when the clamps are tighten down. It's right where the line starts to go off of the frame...right under the upper control arm cross shaft nut.

Turbo67camaro
01-25-2014, 11:37 AM
In that situation, I'd have the same concern as you, and would either reroute the line, or install some protection around it. Can you get some heat shrink tube around it at that spot at a minimum?

Vibration while the car is running would also likely make that a spot of irritating noise, which for me would be reason enough to make an adjustment, let alone a pressurized fuel leak next to hot headers could be disastrous.

andrewb70
01-25-2014, 12:48 PM
All it will do is wear a hole in your nice powder coating. Eventually (maybe 30 years) you might wear the fuel line.

If it was me, I would just bend the line slightly so it doesn't touch the frame. You don't need a lot of clearance, 1/8" should do it.

Andrew

tonyvol
01-25-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys. With the bends in the line there is no way to bend it without kinking it. Don't ask me how I know this. From one bend to the other it's very short. I double checked it and there is no movement in the line, but not sure if you can still get some vibration.

Schwartz Performance
01-25-2014, 09:34 PM
If it's really that right I'd stick a thin piece of rubber behind it, not as thick as fuel hose.

-Dale

liquidh8
01-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Can I ask where you got your 1/2" fuel line?

Looks good BTW and I would just use a piece of thin wall rubber hose or something.

camrat68
03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd also like to know where you found that line! I'm trying to plumb a fuel injected BBC in a 68 Camaro.

Jim

65-fastback
04-07-2014, 11:56 AM
it looks like the top turn is narrowing the flow down.
Or it just looks that way?

BTW looks are +++

tonyvol
07-10-2014, 10:47 AM
it looks like the top turn is narrowing the flow down.
Or it just looks that way?

BTW looks are +++

Hey guys, sorry for long delay in a reply back. I got the the lines from Right Stuff, but I made a template of how I wanted them to be bent out of steel brake line and then them the template to build from.

It's amazing what a camera will do. The bend at the top turn is just an illusion of the camera. It's bent the same the other bend.