PDA

View Full Version : custom motor mounts

corvettekid1973
01-20-2014, 02:25 AM
I finally got my 5.3 and t56 for my 69 camaro and I was trying to figure out mounts and price. I will need the LS plates also the poly SBC motor mounts and also frame mounts since mine have been moved back and welded in and one of them is bent.

I got to searching for the parts and I came across these. And would like your opinions. I was thinking those would allow me to set the motor pretty much wherever I wanted and they are cheaper then buying all the other parts separate

jwcarguy
01-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I finally got my 5.3 and t56 for my 69 camaro and I was trying to figure out mounts and price. I will need the LS plates also the poly SBC motor mounts and also frame mounts since mine have been moved back and welded in and one of them is bent.

I got to searching for the parts and I came across these. And would like your opinions. I was thinking those would allow me to set the motor pretty much wherever I wanted and they are cheaper then buying all the other parts separate

Why do you guys with one of the most common/ popular cars for doing a LS swap, are hell bent in "reinventing the wheel" when it comes to doing a LS swap????

Save yourself all the headaches & waste of time and use quality , PROVEN parts that you know will fit and perform as intended! stop "stepping over dollars to save dimes" on parts, you get what you pay for!!!

You have a 1st gen f-body, if your frame stands are junk, buy a set from a vendor (ie Classic Ind. , MCB, etc) small block frame stands run approx $36/pr, call vendors like Speed Tech, Dirty Dingo, DSE, MCB, Hooker, etc. and start buying the parts that all "work together" for your particular application!

for standard engine location ATS/SpeedTech plates w/ poly mounts, adjustable location Dirty Dingo Sliders w/ poly mounts, for T56 mount, you can't beat the ATS/SpeedTech crossmember

You won't regret it, trust me!!

corvettekid1973
01-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Because like I said it will allow me to put the motor as low and far back as possible. I'm not scared of going outside the box to get where I want. I can buy all those specialty part's but to get the motor low and back I'd have to mod them too.

jwcarguy
01-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Because like I said it will allow me to put the motor as low and far back as possible. I'm not scared of going outside the box to get where I want. I can buy all those specialty part's but to get the motor low and back I'd have to mod them too.
Not a true statement!
all of the top parts mfgs. design & engineer their parts for the best fitment/ application (ie low and back)
If you try and set your engine any "lower" then you will have the shallowest of oil pans hanging way below the subframe and have the headers dragging on the ground

Here are some pics of the latest swap that I did on my personal 68' Camaro
stock subframe w/ small block frame stands, Dirty Dingo adjustable "sliders" plates, energy suspension poly mounts, Mast LS swap oil pan, Dougs Headers (clears the larger Lee Mfg. 670 series steering box by 5/16") SpeedTech / ATS T56 crossmember
I have the engine pushed back to 3/4" off firewall (could've went back a bit more, but wanted clearance for engine harness, rather than having it up higher in sight)
as you can see it the pics, the oil pan fits great, any "lower" it would hang below the frame

corvettekid1973
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Trust me I see what you are saying. What you don't see is I have the time and tools but I don't have the money for those installation parts. I bet all of your mounts, oil pan and so on probably cost more than my motor and trans. :(

I also have access to some really good fabricators if I hit a snag.

And I like to say I made stuff myself. :D

jwcarguy
01-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Trust me I see what you are saying. What you don't see is I have the time and tools but I don't have the money for those installation parts. I bet all of your mounts, oil pan and so on probably cost more than my motor and trans. :(

You can modify a stock oil pan/ pickup setup, not optimal, but can be achieved
but with those weld in mounts that you listed are $120, plus the setup time, additional fab work to place them rearward and to verify positioning and correct driveline angles, your can get engine plates from $ 65 -up from various vendors and poly mounts for $30+ ea that will bolt in and save you time & fab work

trust me, I have done quite a few swaps in off road sand rails and it is 95% fab work and setup / dimensions with both the LS engine and transaxle w/ proper cv joint/ axle operating angles, so I understand your point
Just trying to help another member out from going down a road he may regret later??

corvettekid1973
01-20-2014, 11:31 AM
And I appreciate that. That's why I posted it 1st to get some opinions. I'm not set in stone on that. I'm feeling lucky I only paid 2k for my motor and trans

You can modify a stock oil pan/ pickup setup, not optimal, but can be achieved
but with those weld in mounts that you listed are $120, plus the setup time, additional fab work to place them rearward and to verify positioning and correct driveline angles, your can get engine plates from $ 65 -up from various vendors and poly mounts for $30+ ea that will bolt in and save you time & fab work

trust me, I have done quite a few swaps in off road sand rails and it is 95% fab work and setup / dimensions with both the LS engine and transaxle w/ proper cv joint/ axle operating angles, so I understand your point
Just trying to help another member out from going down a road he may regret later??

71maroesteban
01-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Don't try to save a little money by buying "cheaper parts" their are a lot of kits for your application from Holly dirty dingo etc parts that have been proven and all work together to make your swap a lot easier so far I'm 400 dollars into parts on my l92 swap I paid 1k for the motor so just in parts I'm gonna pass the cost of the motor but knowing that It'll all go in no problem is a relief pick up a f body pan too it should work great with your application I picked one up for 80 bucks brand new of cl