PDA

View Full Version : Accell 77143 or 77144

Bill68fbrd
09-10-2005, 03:15 PM
My Eng 415 SB Chevy - Dart block, Trick Flow Aluminum heads needs an EFI system. Eng should make 500 - 525 hp. I’m looking at the Accell systems 77143 or 77144 what is the IPU harness? :hmm:
This will go into my 68 Firebird convertible which is still on a rotisserie. What type of Ignition system works best?:hmm:
I think Ill need to change the sender on the fuel tank to a larger return. What other problems might crop up? Where is the best place to buy?:hmm: (price at Summet $ 2,600.00) I’m looking forward to assembly but for now am still buying stuff. I have lots of boxes full of goodies from all over the place.:yeah:

toxicz28
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
First, IPU is inductive pick-up. That is for "universal" distributors.
If you're going with this type of a set up, and you are sure you are going to make over 500 hp, the 77143 is the setup that you would need. It has 36 lb. injectors compared to the 30 lb. injectors of the 77144 system. Don't forget a fuel pump too!
You can download the "generic" instructions for the DFI Gen 7 set-up here.
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/gen7_instructions.pdf
Download them, and read them well. They will help clarify alot of the requirements before you buy.

Jim Nilsen
09-10-2005, 05:48 PM
When looking for price on my gen7 unit I went with Summit first and then I had to return the unit because it was a gen 6 unit. The numbers are that close as you are finding out. I went with a place out of Minnesota , a guy who was an actual certified installer of the units and he had the best price.

If I had to do it all over again I would go through Lingenfelter to get it. After all of the things I have had to go through with tech questions and what if this and what if that , the extra price I would have paid at Lingenfelter would have been worth it I think. The extra tech support you would be able to get and the fact that Lingenfelter was the one who really perfected the units to start with gives you a head start on getting the most horsepower for your money.

I have considered several times about going to Lingenfelter to get a cam and the correct program for the Accel unit and the specific so that it would be plug and play so to speak for the most horsepower and torque for the money and time invested. They have done all of the research involved in getting the most out of it and in the long run I almost think it would be worth it. Pay me now or pay me later is what you are up against and if you have the money up front it just seems like a logical way to go. If you are on a budget like me and every horse doesn't matter as much as every dollar it is a decision that is obvious to make.

Goodluck and hope you find the right unit. I used all of the Accel ignition from the distributor to the coil. You can call their techline and they are very helpful in getting you the correct part numbers and setting you up with the closest dealer in your area. That is how I found the dealer in Minnesota.

Jody Bernard ( Camcojob)also helped me a great deal on my decision at the time and he really knows what he is talking about.

Jim Nilsen

68 SuperRam
09-12-2005, 09:41 AM
I got my Superram from Lingenfelter - great people - was able to call them a year later - and get some small parts that were missing from my kit. Mine is a Gen 6 - the Gen 7 were still in the testing stage - I had Jobe at Turbo People - do my programming - top notch - he is one of Accel's top tuners - he does alot of their R&D work - lucky enough I live close to his shop.

Steve68
09-12-2005, 09:48 AM
I have mailed Bill about my Mini Ram for sale but I don't know if he reads his PM's or he's not interested, I think it would be a great setup for him, Steve

Bill68fbrd
09-14-2005, 02:38 AM
TOXICZ 28 http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/gen7_instructions.pdf
Thinks great info
Got info from ebay need 77143 and dual point dis kit can get for $2927.00
Steve yes i am intersted in your mini ram can you send me info and picks.
I am going to get some sort of EMS - EFI
Thanks for the help - info