PDA

View Full Version : How to transport a dead car

epeterson
01-13-2014, 07:32 PM
Hey guys i'm going to check out a 1974 Amc Javelin on sunday. The trouble is that it needs a transmission pump and wont be able to drive up onto a trailer. Besides trying to push it up onto the trailer is there any other good way? I do not have a winch, any suggestions will be appreciated.

silvermonte
01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
You can get a really cheap winch from harbor freight. If i remember correctly you can get one that will pull a car up on a trailer for around $100. You dont really need a big beefy one, its not like you are pulling a truck out of a mud hole or anything. I made a large plate and bolted my winch to it and then bolted the plate to the trailer. I just take a battery with me and bolt the plate down and winch the car up and when its not is use take the winch back off the trailer.

mmosley
01-13-2014, 08:07 PM
come-a-long... $15

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb-capacity-cable-winch-puller-30329.html

lzdick
01-14-2014, 07:23 AM
3 or 4 sturdy friends...one case of beer...$16

https://www.youtube.com/user/budweiser

rchaskin
01-14-2014, 07:28 AM
One BAH (big a@@ hill.....LOL)

You can turn the truck pulling the trailer to the side as far as possible, and then use another truck with a chain / cable to pull the car up on the trailer.....

Ben@SpeedTech
01-14-2014, 08:03 AM

You can turn the truck pulling the trailer to the side as far as possible, and then use another truck with a chain / cable to pull the car up on the trailer.....

I've done this method before. I prefer to use a tow strap, it has a little give/flex so things go a little smoother. Basically you're just "towing" the car up onto the trailer as the tow vehicle drives along side the trailer. As goofy as it may sound it works great.

csouth
01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

x2... Its the best way when there is no winch

TheJDMan
01-14-2014, 06:19 PM
come-a-long... $15

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-lb-capacity-cable-winch-puller-30329.html

What he said!!!!!

BMR Sales
01-15-2014, 09:22 AM
You can get a really cheap winch from harbor freight. If i remember correctly you can get one that will pull a car up on a trailer for around $100. You dont really need a big beefy one, its not like you are pulling a truck out of a mud hole or anything. I made a large plate and bolted my winch to it and then bolted the plate to the trailer. I just take a battery with me and bolt the plate down and winch the car up and when its not is use take the winch back off the trailer.

^^Don't do this!^^

What a PoS! I bought one to try to use on my Trailer. Mounted it, went to use it the 1st Time - Nothing! I knew my Battery had a Charge on it, but I still tried Jumper Cables - Nothing!

When I took it back, the Lady at HF said," You Again? I guess I looked like a guy that had brought back 4 of them. She asked me if I wanted to exchange it for another one, I said, "you just told me one guy went thru 4 of them!" No I'll take my money back, please.

T.C.

BMR Sales
01-15-2014, 09:23 AM
hey guys i'm going to check out a 1974 amc javelin on sunday. The trouble is that it needs a transmission pump and wont be able to drive up onto a trailer. Besides trying to push it up onto the trailer is there any other good way? I do not have a winch, any suggestions will be appreciated.

aaa

silvermonte
01-15-2014, 11:42 PM
^^Don't do this!^^

What a PoS! I bought one to try to use on my Trailer. Mounted it, went to use it the 1st Time - Nothing! I knew my Battery had a Charge on it, but I still tried Jumper Cables - Nothing!

When I took it back, the Lady at HF said," You Again? I guess I looked like a guy that had brought back 4 of them. She asked me if I wanted to exchange it for another one, I said, "you just told me one guy went thru 4 of them!" No I'll take my money back, please.

T.C.

Not to defend HF as I think alot of their stuff is hit or miss. I took a gamble when I got mine because I really didnt see a need to buy a name brand winch for as little as I was going to use mine. Ive had one of their winches now for 3 years and have used it about 6 times I think and havnt had any problems. As far as price goes I would go with one of the other options or either putting the tow truck to the side and having another truck pull it up or do the come-a-long if you have a good place to mount it.

BMR Sales
01-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Not to defend HF as I think alot of their stuff is hit or miss. I took a gamble when I got mine because I really didnt see a need to buy a name brand winch for as little as I was going to use mine. Ive had one of their winches now for 3 years and have used it about 6 times I think and havnt had any problems. As far as price goes I would go with one of the other options or either putting the tow truck to the side and having another truck pull it up or do the come-a-long if you have a good place to mount it.

HF is Hit or Miss, I just had Bad Luck with their Chinese Winch - I only Buy something from HF if I consider it a Throw-Away or 1 Use Part

novaderrik
01-17-2014, 01:59 AM
i once winched a dead car onto a trailer using a big ratchet strap... yes, it sucked and yes, it took forever- but i got it done.
a come-along is the next least bad option..

Ron.in.SoCal
01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
Do you have a driveway ramp? If so, park the truck in the street where the ramps are as level as possible. Two guys can load a car this way easily. I've even had the weekend housecleaner lady help me out once, lol.