PDA

View Full Version : CV pinion yoke for GM 10bolt

Olav
01-13-2014, 04:10 AM
CV pinion yoke for 8.5" 10 bolt chevy. Is this avilable from any ?

Regards

Olav

andrewb70
01-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Olav,

I have looked for various CV pinion yokes, but there is not much available. The only one I have found was made for a Ford 9" rear. It is made by Holinger Engineering in Australia. A competent machinist should be able to take a billet steel u-joint yoke, weld on a CV cup and machine it so it is concentric and true.

Andrew

Olav
01-15-2014, 01:06 AM
Seems like some Toyota LC and other use 30 spline and same diameter as the GM 10 bolt . I don't know if the angle/ machining are the same but i'm trying to get one for test fitting. This is a flanged yoke. I will try to test one on a GM pinion but it will probably not be easy since these are not common in Norway.

Kenova
01-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Andrew has a CV joint on the transmission output yoke on his drive shaft. Would that work for your application?

Ken

andrewb70
01-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Seems like some Toyota LC and other use 30 spline and same diameter as the GM 10 bolt . I don't know if the angle/ machining are the same but i'm trying to get one for test fitting. This is a flanged yoke. I will try to test one on a GM pinion but it will probably not be easy since these are not common in Norway.

Olav,

Keep in mind that it is not only the pinion count, but also the depth of the yoke and the seal diameter that is important.

Why do you ask about this?

Andrew

Olav
01-16-2014, 12:02 AM
I know about the issue about lenght ++++ the reason is for asking this is as you remember I was looking into using a BMW 5/ 6 speed manual transmission. They have flange on the output flang and no "end float" yoke like a regular GM transmission. If i use CV joints I could probably get enough "end float" for suspension movement. I could also use a 2 piece driveshaft with a floating center like old RWD Volvo's

Hope you understand what I mean in my Norwegian English :-)

Olav

andrewb70
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I know about the issue about lenght ++++ the reason is for asking this is as you remember I was looking into using a BMW 5/ 6 speed manual transmission. They have flange on the output flang and no "end float" yoke like a regular GM transmission. If i use CV joints I could probably get enough "end float" for suspension movement. I could also use a 2 piece driveshaft with a floating center like old RWD Volvo's

Hope you understand what I mean in my Norwegian English :-)

Olav

Olav,

You don't need to have a CV at the pinion. There are slip joints that are available to allow for the movement due to suspension that can accommodate fixed yokes at the transmission and at the pinion. Here is a picture of a custom Mustang driveshaft:

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/assets/images/2005mustangdriveshaftsstockvsnewhires.jpg

Here is another one:

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/miscellaneous/dynotech-engineering-to-supply-driveshaft-for-gt500-super-snake/35601523/dynotech-engineering-mustang-driveshaft.jpg

Andrew