PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Swap - Question/help

T.K.
01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
My current chassis is setup with the Art Morrison TRI5 IFS. This setup uses the Wilwood Pro Spindles. I want to change to a hub style spindle like the speed tech/ATS AFX spindle. The kingpin angle on the Wilwood is 7.2 deg. I think the kingpin angle on the AFX is 8.75 deg. First can anyone confirm the AFX KPI. Second, would it be safe to make this swap, or would I have to much of a caster issue? Any other issues that anyone would see with this swap?

csouth
01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Arent the control arms that AME uses for its C6 style IFS different from the ones with the Wilwood spindles? I only ask because it seems that would play a great deal in the KPI, but I could be wrong. I'm sure Speed Tech could tell you the KPI of the ATS AFX spindle since the own the intellectual property now.

T.K.
01-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Yes the C6 IFS uses C6 CAs. The AME IFS uses the AME CAs

Mateospeed
01-14-2014, 06:02 AM
How much caster are you running now? How much caster is built into the old and new spindles? That'll help figure out if it'll cause you problems changing.

keithq69
01-14-2014, 07:40 AM
There's a lot you need to consider.
First is the camber, it looks like you'll end up with a few degrees more positive. I'm not sure if you have enough adjustment to get what you need.
The other issue is the steering arm. I'm assuming that they are not going to be in the same location.
A few other things to consider, ball joint taper, spindle height and the distance from the lower ball joint to the wheel mounting surface.

Keith.

killer69
01-14-2014, 07:24 PM
There's a lot you need to consider.
First is the camber, it looks like you'll end up with a few degrees more positive. I'm not sure if you have enough adjustment to get what you need.
The other issue is the steering arm. I'm assuming that they are not going to be in the same location.
A few other things to consider, ball joint taper, spindle height and the distance from the lower ball joint to the wheel mounting surface.

Keith.

All of the above. the KPI is 8 deg.

T.K.
01-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Maybe I will take a different approach. Does anyone know of a hub style spindle that is a suitable replacement for the Wilwood Pro Spindle. I looked through a couple Mustang II / Pinto forums looking to see if there was anyone doing a similar swap to see what produce was out there, but I didn't see anything. So far it appears to me that if you want to upgrade from the Mustang II, you are cutting everything out and replacing.

marolf101x
01-15-2014, 12:24 PM
why do you want the hub?
We were looking at designing a new spindle, and we started discussing the hub bearing.

Unless you are using ABS, manufacturing cars on an assembly line, or cannot set up a traditional bearing, I just don't see any advantage.
A good hub bearing is $150-300 per side.
"Standard" bearings are $20 per side.
I'm typically not the "lowest price option" guy. . .but I'll stick with the traditional bearings for myself and our customers.