PDA

View Full Version : Walked Away from this 1973....

badazz81z28
01-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Well I got interested in a 73 Camaro on CL today (1Q87H VIN)....I ended up walking away. The pictures looked fantastic so I had to check it out. He was asking $15K, but I was ready to bite if the car was there as advertised.

Once I started looking over the car, the paint was a quicky for sure (he admitted it was a 1 day MACCO). In the door gaps by the weather stripping and where it was popping off in the wheel well lips, I could tell the car use to be blue. It had a few runs, the rear quarters had a few very small bubbles starting to peek through, scratches here and there. The paint was an "OK" daily driver. The passenger door looked a little wavy and the gap from the rear of the door to the body looked odd (must have been hit). The cowl area in the corners of the front window was bubbling up and I could see some exposed rust. The interior was ok, the dash was curled but it had auto-meter gauges. The engine was non performance backed by a T5 transmission, not originally a 4 speed car (75-81 pedals) and was using a makes shift hydraulic clutch (which was leaking). The good thing was the car had Vintage Air...I just couldnt plop down the dough....Am I just too anal?

I ended up walking away. The lowest the guy would go was $14,500

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/4278212931.html

tonykim
01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
I say follow your gut instinct. You found a lot of little things when just looking over the car. This usually indicates that you will find more once you start spending more time behind the wheel. I'm assuming by "non-performance" it was a bone stock small block of some kind. to me to spend this type of money on this vintage it doesn't take much to do a stock bottom end rebuild, mild cam, mild heads, etc. and it doesn't cost that much. for all you know this could have been a bone yard 305 or something. and his ad doesn't say anything about the engine.

vette427-sbc
01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Good choice to walk... Unless youre a body man, stay away from bad body work.

4MuscleMachines
01-08-2014, 06:54 PM
You did the right thing. For a few more benjamins you can have a much better car if you are patient. Sad thing is he will probably sell it to somebody who is not as experienced as you in looking at the details.

130fe
01-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Like other have said, if your gut told you something just walk away. I know you probably want another car but the right deal will come your way. If there any kind of deadline for implementation of that new policy? Just curious, have they said how are they going to enforce that on base?

badazz81z28
01-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Like other have said, if your gut told you something just walk away. I know you probably want another car but the right deal will come your way. If there any kind of deadline for implementation of that new policy? Just curious, have they said how are they going to enforce that on base?

11 February is the magic date. I can still legally drive 60 days a year....I'm just excited to find the right car.

130fe
01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
I understand, are you limiting your search to F-bodies? Have you considered a nova or A-body? Good luck with the search! How will they know if you drive more than 60 days? Not saying to break the law but just curious how will they enforce it. Is this restriction just to drive on base or something that local authorities can cite you for if you are pulled over?

badazz81z28
01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
I understand, are you limiting your search to F-bodies? Have you considered a nova or A-body? Good luck with the search! How will they know if you drive more than 60 days? Not saying to break the law but just curious how will they enforce it. Is this restriction just to drive on base or something that local authorities can cite you for if you are pulled over?

It will be a on-base thing, which living on base doesnt help me. The program is really self identification. You could probably get away with it. Doubtful with the rareity of my car though.

I'm really stuck on an early F-body as I just think it would be easier to push my parts onto this car.