PDA

View Full Version : True Thoughts on this 70 Camaro

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
What do you all think? I know it's a base model, has "killer" fog lights...it is it in left field?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4263657657.html

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

71maroesteban
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
If you can get it for 9 it would be a good deal body looks great and those fog lights will come in handy with this cali weather

GaRys69
01-03-2014, 05:47 PM
That would make a great base to swap your parts on to.

68lovebuzz
01-03-2014, 06:10 PM
It's got the rare nine bolt rear end! But seriously, it looks like a great car

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
It's got the rare nine bolt rear end! But seriously, it looks like a great car

What about the price? Seem too high?

BonzoHansen
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
it might be borderline high. but not too high. hard to tell from pics. no underneath or trunk pics.

130fe
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Have you tried to go see it in person? Sometimes cars are nicer than the pics show and others not so much. No matter what the asking price, You might be amazed how motivated people get when people show up with cash.

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Have you tried to go see it in person? Sometimes cars are nicer than the pics show and others not so much. No matter what the asking price, You might be amazed how motivated people get when people show up with cash.

Apparently he flips cars for a living. I have pictures of the trunk and one of the underneath. It does look clean.

He is about 3 1/2 hours from me and I don't even want to look at it if the price is way too high, but I have no experience on assessing value to these years.

http://s283.photobucket.com/user/oprah85/library/1971%20Camaro%20383%20Fahrenheit?sort=3&page=1

ULTM8Z
01-03-2014, 08:01 PM
My dad sold his '71 a few years ago for $12,500 and it was fully restored to about what these photos are showing. Assuming the pictures of this guy's Camaro are representative of what it's actually like, his price may be about right.

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 09:16 PM
My dad sold his '71 a few years ago for $12,500 and it was fully restored to about what these photos are showing. Assuming the pictures of this guy's Camaro are representative of what it's actually like, his price may be about right.

I'm going to go look at this one, About $5K cheaper!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171209050555?forcerRptr=true&item=171209050555&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Rod
01-03-2014, 09:40 PM
price is a little high(i would offer 2 grand less) on the orange one but its a stick car great for autocross, but I like the red one better but its automatic(I would do some bad azz paddle shifters), personally

ADiCarlo
01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
I'm going to be ten minutes away from the orange car tomorrow. I can make a call to see it if you want.

But does this car have what you want specifically? What are your plans - if your painting it, swapping the motor, and upgrading suspension I would start with something alot cheaper.

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 08:22 AM
. The nice interior and the solid body is what I like about the orange one. What would be a good price $12500?

I do plan to plan on swap aroo with my car and this one for drivetrain and suspension, absolutely not looking to paint or do body work to a car

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I think this one is a better deal, depending what it cost to fix the door and the paint

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4267909811.html

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm about go look at it, I would surely appreciate more opinions!

Todd in Vancouver
01-04-2014, 11:36 AM
The red one seems like a bargain. Since you are swapping most of the parts over I'd grab that one if the body is good.

The brown one admits to shoddy body work so I would run away from it. What else are you not seeing that's been hidden?

Orange one is nice but that's a lot for a car to buy and strip down.

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 01:53 PM
The gray/brown car was alot worse than the pictures show. It needs the entire body blocked sanded and re-painted. Engine looked like original in an ugly way.

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Well just saw the orange one. Not that great. Rust free but the paint had runs, engine bay was bad, doors wouldn't close ....bust

BonzoHansen
01-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Well just saw the orange one. Not that great. Rust free but the paint had runs, engine bay was bad, doors wouldn't close ....bust

runs car be fixed, you're tearing up underhood anyway and what was wrong with the doors, need a new striker? maybe keep watching and see if you can score it cheaper down the road?

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 06:17 PM
runs car be fixed, you're tearing up underhood anyway and what was wrong with the doors, need a new striker? maybe keep watching and see if you can score it cheaper down the road?

The paint looked to just be a quickly job. The car looked decent, just not $14k decent. The spoiler had a chip in it, the trunk wasn't aligned. It just didn't have a lot going for it. The parts that were stated new didn't appear to be. I would have bit, but it is early in the search

ADiCarlo
01-05-2014, 08:54 AM
In all honesty I don't believe anyone has a rust free car unless it's been torn down and sandblasted. A 50 year old car with a new paint job means it's been resprayed and you'll never known how far down they actually went or what's hiding down below that'll creep up in a few years.

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 12:39 PM
In all honesty I don't believe anyone has a rust free car unless it's been torn down and sandblasted. A 50 year old car with a new paint job means it's been resprayed and you'll never known how far down they actually went or what's hiding down below that'll creep up in a few years.

I don't know about that....

See look at this one...$12,500. Will obviously need to be re-painted one day...Is $12,500 even considered a good price for one of these? If it is please LMK

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4269031168.html

srh3trinity
01-05-2014, 01:06 PM

I don't know about that....

See look at this one...$12,500. Will obviously need to be re-painted one day...Is $12,500 even considered a good price for one of these? If it is please LMK

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4269031168.html
No way I would pay 12500 for a car with tribal flames. Just me. I would use that as a bargaining tool, that car is already dated.

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 01:35 PM
No way I would pay 12500 for a car with tribal flames. Just me. I would use that as a bargaining tool, that car is already dated.

In your opinion, what would you say it's worth, considering the car checks out.

V.R

dhutton
01-05-2014, 03:25 PM
I am betting most of the cars you have shown here as rust free are full of bondo. Faded original paint or a very old respray is what you should be looking for. Then you can tell if it is rust free. Recent paint jobs are likely hiding bondo and rust in the price range you are looking.

Just my two cents.

Don

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
I am betting most of the cars you have shown here as rust free are full of bondo. Faded original paint or a very old respray is what you should be looking for. Then you can tell if it is rust free. Recent paint jobs are likely hiding bondo and rust in the price range you are looking.

Just my two cents.

Don

Ahh, Don...Why such the negativity? California and Nevada cars can easily be rust free. I agree with you, you have to check.

How much do you think these cars should be going for?

dhutton
01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
Ahh, Don...Why such the negativity? California and Nevada cars can easily be rust free. I agree with you, you have to check.

How much do you think these cars should be going for?

Well I'm in Texas, also home to rust free cars and this is just what I have found over the years. As far as value goes I picked up a reasonably rust free genuine 70 Z28 shell a few years ago for $6000. Only rust was in the trunk drop offs. The original engine was long gone but I sold the radiator for $900 and the wheels and some other parts for another $1000. I think something like this rather than a resprayed running car might be the best car for what you want to do. You just have to be patient and keep scouring Craigslist.

Don

PSV
01-05-2014, 04:35 PM
I agree with Don. In your price range if it has recent paint its most likely a quickly job done for resale and no telling what's underneath to haunt you down the road. A decent driver paint job in so cal is likely at least 8,000. Add that to a decent shell and your quickly at 15-20. I would either look at cars in the 18-20 range that don't need any work or look at cars that may not look pretty but it's faults are there to be seen. I would rather spend more upfront than deal with paint jail and trying to find a shop that you can trust to do a good job in a timely manner. I've had a couple early second gens and one area that is always rusty are the lower corners of the front fenders by the door edges. I always look there first.

With a higher starting point you will likely have more valuable parts to sell off to recoup some of the cost.

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
I agree with Don. In your price range if it has recent paint its most likely a quickly job done for resale and no telling what's underneath to haunt you down the road. A decent driver paint job in so cal is likely at least 8,000. Add that to a decent shell and your quickly at 15-20. I would either look at cars in the 18-20 range that don't need any work or look at cars that may not look pretty but it's faults are there to be seen. I would rather spend more upfront than deal with paint jail and trying to find a shop that you can trust to do a good job in a timely manner. I've had a couple early second gens and one area that is always rusty are the lower corners of the front fenders by the door edges. I always look there first.

With a higher starting point you will likely have more valuable parts to sell off to recoup some of the cost.

I agree, sometimes things are too good to be true. Sometimes there are good deals tho...Wouldnt a simple magnet test tell me if the certain areas a plastered with bondo?

PSV
01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
A magnet test is better than nothing, but I prefer an electronic paint gauge that will tell you the thickness. They are pricey so would want to see if you can borrow one or see if a shop that has one would examine a car your considering for a small fee. If you can see good photos of the car prior to work done is also helpful. Best of luck. I hope you find a good one.

Take a look at this topic and maybe send Rick a pm and see if the car is for sale. It wil be done correctly and you can choose the color.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44341

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
A magnet test is better than nothing, but I prefer an electronic paint gauge that will tell you the thickness. They are pricey so would want to see if you can borrow one or see if a shop that has one would examine a car your considering for a small fee. If you can see good photos of the car prior to work done is also helpful. Best of luck. I hope you find a good one.

Take a look at this topic and maybe send Rick a pm and see if the car is for sale. It wil be done correctly and you can choose the color.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44341

Thanks, I sent him a PM.