PDA

View Full Version : HP to dominator upgrade?

rossmacd
01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
So I'm reading the latest car craft (came in my mailbox today) and they claim that the computer in the dominator, hp, and terminator is all the same unit. Is that true? Seems unlikely since the dominator has so many outputs it can control. They claim that you can upgrade from one version to another simply by chance going her else's (and I presume some sort of code from holley).

True or false? Also, looking at the pictures online, it seems like the dominator is physically a larger unit than the hp or terminator units.

andrewb70
01-03-2014, 06:43 AM
I think you are getting a few things mixed up. The HP and Dominator are ECUs. They are different pieces of hardware. The Terminator is the carb looking retrofit injection system. It can be driven by either the HP or the Dominator computer.

http://www.holley.com/Index.asp?Division=HolleyEFI

Andrew

Fuelie Nova
01-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Correct, the HP and the Terminator are exactly the same ecu just different labels per Holley. The Dominator is physically bigger due to transmission control and extra I/O. The main harness between the dominator and hp are the same.
Tom

andrewb70
01-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Correct, the HP and the Terminator are exactly the same ecu just different labels per Holley. The Dominator is physically bigger due to transmission control and extra I/O. The main harness between the dominator and hp are the same.
Tom

Tom,

That's not correct. As I stated, the Terminator is the throttle body system. The Avenger and the HP ECUs are the same, and the Dominator ECU is different.

Andrew

Fuelie Nova
01-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Andrew you better check your facts! I don't have time to explain now but you are not correct.
May Derek, Doug or Danny will chime in
Tom

andrewb70
01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Andrew you better check your facts! I don't have time to explain now but you are not correct.
May Derek, Doug or Danny will chime in
Tom

Tom,

You may well be right, but just looking at the Holley website, what I said seems to be the case…

Here is the Terminator:

http://www.holley.com/types/Terminator%20EFI%20-%204%20BBL%20TBI%20Systems.asp

It uses the Avenger ECU which can easily upgraded to "laptop" control, which turns the Avenger ECU into a HP ECU. The Dominator is a whole other beasts…

Andrew

chillininnh
01-03-2014, 03:28 PM
The Avenger, Terminator and HP run the same ECU. The Dominator is a whole different animal. I'll assume that upgrading to the Dominator will require a new harness among other things.

rossmacd
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM
It sounds like what I assumed it was; Dominator is different, but the others can be upgraded via software.

Thanks guys.

FlyDoc
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I think I see where the disconnect is.
the Holley Terminator system is composed of--
these sub-components-
*TBI - unit (replaces Carburetor)
*Hand held programer
* ECU - the HP management system

the Holley Avenger system is composed of--
these sub-components-
*TBI - unit (replaces Carburetor, different type than used in the Terminator)
*Hand held programer
* ECU - the HP management system

the Dominator is not a system, it is an ECU. Holley does offer wiring for the Dominator, but there a lots of other pices needed to use a Dominator ECU.

in the two systems above the management is the Holley HP ECU. and the Dominator is also an ECU.
did that help?

Nothingface5384
01-06-2014, 10:17 AM
hp to dominator you'll have to buy new ECU and main ecu harness

Derek@ModernSpeed
01-10-2014, 06:29 AM
Ok, I'll put facts out here so everyone can make note for future references. The differences are minute between Avenger, HP, Terminator. Dominator is a different animal.

Hardware wise, the Avenger, HP, and Terminator ECU's are 99% the same. The labels are different (1%).
Avenger and HP ecu's have the same firmware
Terminator's use their own firmware.
Dominator ECU can be used with TBI or MPFI, and can replace any of the ecu's above. If upgrading from a Terminator ecu to a Dominator ECU, the firmware will have to be changed as well.

So, in short, Avenger systems as of 2014 will be 2bbl TBI, Stealthram, and MPFI kits
HP will be MPFI kits only, and retro fit. No more TBI HP systems
Terminator is the 4bbl TBI system
Dominator is a la carte (build your own) - ECU can be used for TBI, or MPFI systems.

Interest has picked up in the Terminator TBI systems. However some of these people want to control a 4L60/4L80E transmission. So, the Terminator ECU is removed, dominator ECU installed, update the firmware, and then you have trans control. Not really pertinent to this conversation, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Fuelie Nova
01-10-2014, 08:20 AM
I am one of those that have a new terminator system and want to switch to a dominator ecu for transmission control. I wonder if there is any market for a used HP ecu?
Tom

amargari
01-12-2014, 06:43 PM
I am one of those that have a new terminator system and want to switch to a dominator ecu for transmission control. I wonder if there is any market for a used HP ecu?
Tom

I would think so. People like me with TPI based OBD 1 systems would like the upgrade option.

Derek@ModernSpeed
01-17-2014, 08:10 AM
Guys since I last posted, I was informed that all of the ecu's now share the same firmware. Just wanted to update you. Thanks - Derek

CFster
03-09-2014, 07:38 AM
So I'm reading the latest car craft (came in my mailbox today) and they claim that the computer in the dominator, hp, and terminator is all the same unit. Is that true? Seems unlikely since the dominator has so many outputs it can control. They claim that you can upgrade from one version to another simply by chance going her else's (and I presume some sort of code from holley).

True or false? Also, looking at the pictures online, it seems like the dominator is physically a larger unit than the hp or terminator units.

I might be interested in your HP ecu when and if you decide to sell it.

- CF

Nothingface5384
03-09-2014, 10:49 AM
ah, cool that someone could have a Dominator TBI setup

Derek@ModernSpeed
03-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Yep several people with GM engines like the idea of going with the terminator throttle body, paired with the 4l60/80e transmission. Holley is working on ford transmission control too