PDA

View Full Version : Help! 1970-73 Camaro Values??

badazz81z28
01-01-2014, 06:43 PM
I really don't know whats too much and what is a good deal.

I came across this 1970 plane jane camaro, basically a stock car with a amateur paint job. Will need some body work and a new door skin and most likely a full paint. But $11K??

I need some help on values.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/4267909811.html

71maroesteban
01-01-2014, 06:51 PM
I only payed 3 grand for mine running and fairly rust free body I'm in so Cal too I saw on for 4 grand a while ago straight body just no motor or tranny but it sounds like it'll fit your bill since you said you were just gonna rip the drive train out if your set on this one I'd say offer 8 he said it had bad body work and paint so don't want rust to be hidden under there

71maroesteban
01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4227533327.html
Don't know If you'd seen this one but good price for a starter

badazz81z28
01-01-2014, 07:08 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4227533327.html
Don't know If you'd seen this one but good price for a starter

I did run across that one. Good price, but rust...trying to stay away from that.

71maroesteban
01-01-2014, 07:33 PM
True but their is a really nice black one for the same asking price as the one you posted the one you posted is asking a lot for a car clearly rushed through

71maroesteban
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4244947890.html

badazz81z28
01-01-2014, 07:44 PM
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4244947890.html

Good find, I did not see that one. I'm inquiring...

71maroesteban
01-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Thanks It seems like a good car with a fair price as a poor college kid I have become the king of Craigslist haha

badazz81z28
01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks It seems like a good car with a fair price as a poor college kid I have become the king of Craigslist haha

How do you assess value anyways...Is it really "what you are willing to pay"?

I'm looking and it appears I can get the plane models for under $10K, but is even that too much if it requires interior etc?

srh3trinity
01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
After getting paint and body quotes, I would happily pay 10k-12k for a rust free car with good paint. I have had quotes from 8k-25k for paint.

71maroesteban
01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
[/QUOTE]

How do you assess value anyways...Is it really "what you are willing to pay"?

I'm looking and it appears I can get the plane models for under $10K, but is even that too much if it requires interior etc?[/QUOTE] the best way to come up with a fair price for not only you but the seller is check the date on the ads if it's been their 4 plus weeks chances are they will take a low offer that's how I lowered mine from 7 to 3k second gen camaros here in so cal don't go for much because their are so many rust free bodies if you were to offer 8k for lets say that black one cash in hand chances are he'd sell it to you that leaves you with 3k to go for upgrades for the best price it takes patience

badazz81z28
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Well...I found the perfect car, ready to make an offer....No Title!

71maroesteban
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Well...I found the perfect car, ready to make an offer....No Title! nice post some pictures if you buy it if I may ask why are looking for another second gen don't you have a late model z?

badazz81z28
01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
nice post some pictures if you buy it if I may ask why are looking for another second gen don't you have a late model z?

Trying to get a smog exempt camaro.

dhutton
01-03-2014, 04:47 AM
Well...I found the perfect car, ready to make an offer....No Title!

My advice to you is make sure you sort out that title before you do any work on that car. Just went through a nightmare on a 57 Belair that I did a frame off on (before learning the title was lost). The "Auto Theft Task Force" who inspected the car insisted that I had to get a rebuilt title for it because the frame was too nice to be the original. Major PITA dealing with these guys. One sheriff told me that his dad had a 54 Chevy and the frame was rusty so there was no way my frame could be original and not rusty and pitted. Unbelievable. Not sure what it is like in California but hard to believe it would be much better...

Better yet, never buy a car without a title. That is my rule going forward...

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 06:18 AM
My advice to you is make sure you sort out that title before you do any work on that car. Just went through a nightmare on a 57 Belair that I did a frame off on (before learning the title was lost). The "Auto Theft Task Force" who inspected the car insisted that I had to get a rebuilt title for it because the frame was too nice to be the original. Major PITA dealing with these guys. One sheriff told me that his dad had a 54 Chevy and the frame was rusty so there was no way my frame could be original and not rusty and pitted. Unbelievable. Not sure what it is like in California but hard to believe it would be much better...

Better yet, never buy a car without a title. That is my rule going forward...

I agree with you...No Title...Not buying.

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Does anyone have any insight on how much value of the car is lost when they have salvage titles?

dhutton
01-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Does anyone have any insight on how much value of the car is lost when they have salvage titles?

My guess would be half. The higher the value of the car, the greater the percentage loss. I would never buy a car with a salvage title no matter how good the story was, and they are usually pretty good....

badazz81z28
01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
My guess would be half. The higher the value of the car, the greater the percentage loss. I would never buy a car with a salvage title no matter how good the story was, and they are usually pretty good....

Yeah...Seems like a BS story. What does the subframe have to do with the title.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4269967994.html

71maroesteban
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
18k for a no title car?!?! That dude is on something good never buy a no title car you'd be better off with the 3k body that has a title

badazz81z28
01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I definitely need some education in this department. Looked at a bunch of cars today ranging from all sorts of conditions. I was thinking I would find a good driver paint decent car today for a decent price...didn't happen.

I looked at a grey plane Jane that just had a horrible paint job. There was sand and dirt in it, waves and runs all over! The motor looked totally stock and 40 years old. The seats were torn, the dash had a cap on it and he was stuck on $10K

Looked at others that needed full interior, ok engine, ok paint, some rust but $12-$14K

The supposedly "restored" Camaro...Dash was not installed right, the dash bezel was broken, the vents were gone, the doors wouldn't close, the windows wouldn't close, The spoiler was molded into the body and had a large chip broken off, the paint had large runs, the engine hesitated to start and the lowest he would go was $12,500.

Are those good prices? Am I just expecting too much for the $$?

I just don't want to get burned by over paying.

68lovebuzz
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
It's really hard to find the car when your set on landing one immediately. You obviously understand what not to buy and that's hugely important. When your gut says run, do it. I'd say just give it a little time and you probably will stumble across the right one when you least expect it. Can't emphasis enough - and you seem to already know - set your goal on a straight original complete car as we all know body work and paint and sourcing parts will eat anybody alive. There are little old lady straight six cars still out there just waiting for LS power and stance!

71maroesteban
01-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Everyone wants more than their cars are worth some dude wanted 16k for a rusted baby blue six cylinder 69 camaro another dude wanted 22k for a 73 camaro with a spray paint paint Job and a 350 out of a wrecked van I got mine for 3k clean title check my build thread all you have to do is wait I know it's frustrating trust me I only has 4k at the time and wanted one so bad good deals come to those who negotiate and point out everything wrong with whatever your buying bad paint Job point it and say it'll cost you xx amount to repaint bad seats again say how much it'll cost you to redo and if they say we'll it's classic it'll be worth a lot say yea it'll be worth what your asking fighting for a good deal is crucial!

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Everyone wants more than their cars are worth some dude wanted 16k for a rusted baby blue six cylinder 69 camaro another dude wanted 22k for a 73 camaro with a spray paint paint Job and a 350 out of a wrecked van I got mine for 3k clean title check my build thread all you have to do is wait I know it's frustrating trust me I only has 4k at the time and wanted one so bad good deals come to those who negotiate and point out everything wrong with whatever your buying bad paint Job point it and say it'll cost you xx amount to repaint bad seats again say how much it'll cost you to redo and if they say we'll it's classic it'll be worth a lot say yea it'll be worth what your asking fighting for a good deal is crucial!

The problem I seem to running into are these local "gas monkey garage" folks. They are picking these cars up and flipping them. They have owned the car for a short period of time, put a few dollars into it a shotty paint job and charging a premium. I told one guy about all the stuff wrong with his "restored" car and you get the " I have this much into it"... It's BS.

Those guys like live on craigslist !!

68lovebuzz
01-05-2014, 11:59 AM
I have had so many flakelist flake out on me. I almost always use the autotrader online these days when looking for cars. Seems always more legit. They have a decent app for smart phones too. I feel your pain.

badazz81z28
01-05-2014, 12:36 PM
I have had so many flakelist flake out on me. I almost always use the autotrader online these days when looking for cars. Seems always more legit. They have a decent app for smart phones too. I feel your pain.

Yeah...I know people are charging too much money, seems as though quite a few cars have been on CL for a month+ and still for sale. Hopefully a good one pops up here on the site so I can give a member the $$$.

badazz81z28
01-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Yeah...I know people are charging too much money, seems as though quite a few cars have been on CL for a month+ and still for sale. Hopefully a good one pops up here on the site so I can give a member the $$$.

Man! About worn out looking for a car.....