PDA

View Full Version : US average salery.

Olav
12-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Here in Norway we read a lot about the problems with your econemy. We was sitting at a family party and talking. What is normal salery for a mechanic, teacher and shop/ store worker. What is average cost for a family house with garage ?
Olav

mitch_04
12-28-2013, 06:17 AM
I'm a mechanic and I also sell parts at our auto parts store. I pull in roughly 30K a year with 8 years experience...well...8 years at this shop. My cost of living for water, electricity, and house payment is roughly $600. I'm not including things like cell phone, internet, etc because those aren't really "necessary". I live in a small town where houses and rent are very inexpensive. My house payment for a 2 bedroom/1 bath with single garage and large yard is half what rent in Chicago was for a single bedroom apartment (and it wasn't a nice one). I also am in the National Guard which brings in around an extra 4K a year, and a city councilman but it's my first year so I don't know what my salary will be yet. I just started restoring cars on the side but all the profit from that goes straight into tools and toys, so I don't really keep track. If you were a mechanic that owned your own shop you could pull in much more money, but your expenses would be higher as well.

Hope some of that helped answer your question.

Jody SS
12-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Every state and city is different. Value depends on location. Value is more when homes are near jobs, nice water frontage and big College cities. Less value when fewer jobs in area, low income neighborhoods.

vintageracer
12-28-2013, 06:25 AM
There is no "Normal" Salary for mechanics or anyone else for that matter in the US. Many factors such as skill level of mechanic, city/state location, type of vehicles serviced, and the quality level of the service shop. There are lot's of shadetree/backyard mechanics in the US along with highly skilled mechanics at top notch shops.

Typical labor rates charged by mechanic shops were I live in Tennessee range from $35/hour at a shade tree shop/backyard to over $200+/hour at a high end high quality shop. The mechanic himself may get paid $10/hour to as much as $100/hour out of that shop labor rate once again depending upon the skill level and quality of repair shop. It is very expensive here just as I am sure it is in Norway to outfit proper shop equipment to service today's late model vehicles.

The big problem as I see it is that there are a LOT of shops that charge a labor rate that everyone would consider to be a top notch quality shop but still do poor repair work. Just because they charge a lot does not mean they know what they are doing. There are STILL lot's of "Parts Changers" who call themselves "Mechanics or Technicians" out there where their ability severity lacks their opinion of themselves.

With vehicle repair shops (Mechanical & Body Repair) on what seems like EVERY corner in EVERY town here in the states it is STILL hard to find a good trustworthy mechanic and repair shop!

hotrodneb
12-28-2013, 06:27 AM
The only REAL problem with our economy is the repressive burden of a government that has grown far too large for the public to support. The weight of those that refuse to be productive upon those that sustain themselves has become unbearable. You can then add to this over-regulation that stifels economic growth and investment and you have our current stagnation. LITTLE of what you hear there is reported here because that would tarnish the reputation of our "fearless leader" and the "lap dog" media here would not report such inflamitory truth.

Jody SS
12-28-2013, 06:28 AM
The economy is not bad at all where I live. Plenty of jobs if you want to drive truck, which is what I do. I made $115,000 plus health insurance this year, that is averaging 70 hours a week. Teachers make $30 to $60k a year. Depends on the size of the tax revenue the area brings in. The amount of education and years worked also plays a part in salaries for most people.

J-440
12-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Here in Texas we live on 3/4 of an acre, have a 3 bed 2 bath 3400 sq ft house that we paid $135,000 for. It has a 2 car garage and we live on a golf course (I suck at golf!!). I'm a CNC machinist and make $27 an hour and my wife is a diabetic educator and she makes $35 an hour. Our mortgage is $1220 a month. We live within our means and only have mortgage and 2 used car notes.
Now if this were California, New York, Chicago, etc...this would be a million dollar home. Like Jody says, it all depends on what state you live in.

vintageracer
12-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Another example of the difference in pay for similar work is the starting salary for a Tennessee State Trooper is about $29K/year. The starting salary for a "Chippie" with the California Highway Patrol is almost $69K/year.

Similar or actually the same work just in different locations (States) in the US!

minendrews68
12-28-2013, 07:32 AM
There is no "Normal" Salary for mechanics or anyone else for that matter in the US. Many factors such as skill level of mechanic, city/state location, type of vehicles serviced, and the quality level of the service shop. There are lot's of shadetree/backyard mechanics in the US along with highly skilled mechanics at top notch shops.

Typical labor rates charged by mechanic shops were I live in Tennessee range from $35/hour at a shade tree shop/backyard to over $200+/hour at a high end high quality shop. The mechanic himself may get paid $10/hour to as much as $100/hour out of that shop labor rate once again depending upon the skill level and quality of repair shop. It is very expensive here just as I am sure it is in Norway to outfit proper shop equipment to service today's late model vehicles.

The big problem as I see it is that there are a LOT of shops that charge a labor rate that everyone would consider to be a top notch quality shop but still do poor repair work. Just because they charge a lot does not mean they know what they are doing. There are STILL lot's of "Parts Changers" who call themselves "Mechanics or Technicians" out there where their ability severity lacks their opinion of themselves.

With vehicle repair shops (Mechanical & Body Repair) on what seems like EVERY corner in EVERY town here in the states it is STILL hard to find a good trustworthy mechanic and repair shop!

Amen to that! I think this is everywhere. I fabricate granite and marble countertops. When the recession hit everyone and their brother became a fabricator. When I started it was myself and one other person fabricating in a town of about 50,000. Now 14 years later there is around 14 fabricators in a town of 67,000. they have saturated the area and no one has work any more. And yes most, don't need to be doing this work. But they get in, do the job and don't worry about repeat business. I've heard more complaining about the shoddy work being done but people still go to the lowest price..

shmoov69
12-28-2013, 08:20 AM
This didn't answer your question, but is 100% true!!
Here in SW MIssouri, we kind of live in a little bubble. The pay is not that great really (average around $35k or so), but the coat of living is pretty low as well. We are somewhat shielded by the "big city and coastal" mentality and there are still more people that can actually take care of themselves than not. In other words, there are not as many mooches to society! LoL!

The only REAL problem with our economy is the repressive burden of a government that has grown far too large for the public to support. The weight of those that refuse to be productive upon those that sustain themselves has become unbearable. You can then add to this over-regulation that stifels economic growth and investment and you have our current stagnation. LITTLE of what you hear there is reported here because that would tarnish the reputation of our "fearless leader" and the "lap dog" media here would not report such inflamitory truth.

Ron Sutton
12-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Another example of the difference in pay for similar work is the starting salary for a Tennessee State Trooper is about $29K/year. The starting salary for a "Chippie" with the California Highway Patrol is almost $69K/year.

Similar or actually the same work just in different locations (States) in the US!

Of course the cost of living in California is twice as much too. So it can be relative. If you want to see silly insane housing prices, look in San Diego or San Francisco. Whew!

Ron Sutton
12-28-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm a mechanic and I also sell parts at our auto parts store. I pull in roughly 30K a year with 8 years experience...well...8 years at this shop. My cost of living for water, electricity, and house payment is roughly $600. I'm not including things like cell phone, internet, etc because those aren't really "necessary". I live in a small town where houses and rent are very inexpensive. My house payment for a 2 bedroom/1 bath with single garage and large yard is half what rent in Chicago was for a single bedroom apartment (and it wasn't a nice one). I also am in the National Guard which brings in around an extra 4K a year, and a city councilman but it's my first year so I don't know what my salary will be yet. I just started restoring cars on the side but all the profit from that goes straight into tools and toys, so I don't really keep track. If you were a mechanic that owned your own shop you could pull in much more money, but your expenses would be higher as well.

Hope some of that helped answer your question.

Holy Cow Mitch! How do you squeeze all of that in ?

SLO_Z28
12-28-2013, 10:57 AM

Chippies make well over $100,000 a year. I work as a mechanic for the CHP and I make 56k a year with pension and benefits and rent a house for $350 a month. I could male $40/hr in the SF bay area and there are tons of jobs.

Todd in Vancouver
12-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Wow you want to check out the prices in Vancouver. A small apartment can run close to $1Mill. and a small crack shack in the busy areas is $2-3 million and is 40+ years old. I live 90 minutes out of down town and you can get a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with a two car garage on a tiny lot for $500K. It really depends on where you want to live as Vancouver is now one of the most expensive places in the world. Wages are erratic at best and dependent on experience.

BUT, we have affordable healthcare and our banking is #1 in the world so we are very, very stable. I can't imagine what it's like for the US folks having to worry about healthcare. Hopefully they are able to get it fixed and make all happy.

mikey
12-28-2013, 01:04 PM
In the kansas city Missouri area bodymen average around $20 an hour flat rate+ fringes vacation health ins and some type of retirement plan. I made roughly 50k this year and it's been a rough year. Got a 3 ,bed 2 bath 2 car garage house on 3/4 acre lot for 125k value today

High Plains Mopars
12-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Here in Norway we read a lot about the problems with your econemy. We was sitting at a family party and talking. What is normal salery for a mechanic, teacher and shop/ store worker. What is average cost for a family house with garage ?
Olav

Certainly something as simple as an "average" does not paint the whole picture as there are great variations across a country as large and diverse as ours. But, here are some averages for the United States:
Annual wage
Mechanic $35,000
Teacher $42,000
Store worker $15,000
Average house $275,000

FWIW, the US government defines the poverty level for a family of four at wages less than $23,500 annually. So if you have a family with the only wage earner working in any of those jobs listed above, you are not doing too well. Depending on the source, the percentage of the US population at or below the poverty level is around 15% currently.

Thephranc
12-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Where I live I know mechs who make as much as 70k a year. Public school teacher as much as 52k not counting all the union extras and keep in mind its not a 40 hour 52 week job. A good sign shop worker cant make 14 - 18 dollars an hour but a retail store worker makes 8 - 12 depending of if they just stock shelves or have more responsibility. A typical single family home 3 bed 2 bath with 1 car garage is 350 - 400k range.

mitch_04
12-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Holy Cow Mitch! How do you squeeze all of that in ?

I didn't mention my 20 month old son either! I work around 45-50 hours a week at the mechanic/parts, city council a few hours every other week, guards is 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks every summer, the resto work on the side is generally weekend business. I also am redoing my upstairs and garage, just about done with the upstairs, thank God!

DesertFox
12-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Chippies make well over $100,000 a year. I work as a mechanic for the CHP and I make 56k a year with pension and benefits and rent a house for $350 a month. I could male $40/hr in the SF bay area and there are tons of jobs.
You rent an entire house for $350?
I didn't think that existed in CA, anywhere.
For the record, I work as a gov't pitbull shaking down people for money. I earn around $52,000. I live in tan stucco/ red tile roof average southwest home hell (but hey there's a 3 car garage and RV gate) last time I ran Zillo, FMV was about $250,000 the same home in So Cal would probably cost twice that.

zbugger
12-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Wow... I'd love to know where you got that. I make around $35k a year and in the SF Bay Area, I'm lucky to be able to live at home and help my parents. I can't really afford to move out without finding a roommate. Well, I could try and get a second job, but then I'd just be living out of my car and probably not sleeping at all. Jobs aren't really hard to come by, but homes are beginning to. Hell, studio apartments around here I haven't seen going for less than $600 a month. 1 bedroom apartments go for $1100 on up. Hell, the apartments across the street from me at 2 bedrooms/1 bath go for at least $2k a month.

Here in Texas we live on 3/4 of an acre, have a 3 bed 2 bath 3400 sq ft house that we paid $135,000 for. It has a 2 car garage and we live on a golf course (I suck at golf!!). I'm a CNC machinist and make $27 an hour and my wife is a diabetic educator and she makes $35 an hour. Our mortgage is $1220 a month. We live within our means and only have mortgage and 2 used car notes.
Now if this were California, New York, Chicago, etc...this would be a million dollar home. Like Jody says, it all depends on what state you live in.

Depending on the area around here, and not living on a golf course, your house could cost between $700k and $1.2 million +.

MrQuick
12-29-2013, 12:07 AM
As I told you many times Al, you gotta get the right job and fight to get it.

When I was a dealer tech @ Dodge I was making $43 an hour and it was the norm. A few friends at porsche are doing $120K+ a year working 5 days a week.

You just have to look around a hunt for it. If you are skilled and make it known they come for you.

UNBROKEN
12-29-2013, 06:51 AM
All I know is I'm ready to go back to Texas. I took on a project in southern California for 14 months...I'm 8 months in now. I leased a house in Hermosa Beach with a 1/2 ass view of the water for $5800 a month. Things are crazy expensive out here vs home.

MrQuick
12-30-2013, 12:17 AM
All I know is I'm ready to go back to Texas. I took on a project in southern California for 14 months...I'm 8 months in now. I leased a house in Hermosa Beach with a 1/2 ass view of the water for $5800 a month. Things are crazy expensive out here vs home.
You should be happy you see actual water and not a night time view of Cracklevania.

bikefreak600
12-31-2013, 03:42 PM
i am forklift operator, my income varies year to year, average 42k-48k per year + benefits. my 2 bedroom/2bath 1250 sq.ft. single level house w/ 24 x 24 detached garage sitting on 1 acre cost me $565 per month escrow (mortage, taxes & insurance). i live out in the country, 16 mile/20 min drive to work all highway. northern central Illinois

ccmc
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Sacramento, CA average income 48k.
I'm a network engineer and make 80k+ a year. 1500 sq ft home bought for 190k worth about 250k

My dad was a diesel mechanic over 30 years. Became shop foreman and made 90k but it was at a well run kenworth franchise

SLO_Z28
01-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Wow... I'd love to know where you got that. I make around $35k a year and in the SF Bay Area, I'm lucky to be able to live at home and help my parents. I can't really afford to move out without finding a roommate. Well, I could try and get a second job, but then I'd just be living out of my car and probably not sleeping at all. Jobs aren't really hard to come by, but homes are beginning to. Hell, studio apartments around here I haven't seen going for less than $600 a month. 1 bedroom apartments go for $1100 on up. Hell, the apartments across the street from me at 2 bedrooms/1 bath go for at least $2k a month.

You rent an entire house for $350?
I didn't think that existed in CA, anywhere.

I rent a house in Stockton, and commute to Sacramento on weekdays, and spend weekends here in Redwood City. I could buy my house for less than a new SS camaro.My girlfriends apartment in Redwood City is $1700/mo. As soon as I can transfer out to the bay area we are looking at buying a home. She just graduated college and now works at a Bio Tech company making 90k/yr plus stock options (that are going to be worth a TON) and we are looking at houses in the 550-600k range.

Where in redwood do you live Zbugger? Were over by the city maintenance yard.

Mizzouri
01-02-2014, 01:20 PM

So sad, so true unfortunately.

FlyDoc
01-02-2014, 04:10 PM
my Daughter and son in law teach, teach & coach they make $2300. & 3200. and they are in Lampasas & Cove TX. there pay is on the average low they have only been teaching a few years.
my son is getting only about $8./hr. which for a Honda / Harley Davidson grad from MMI. he is working at a small shop in the middle of Nebraska. there is some positives for him, his vision is very poor, and he was fresh out of school. that only gives him about $300. a week. he lives with grandma which helps, but he could not afford to live on his own. But when his Broncho needed tires, water pump, & radiator, his boss picked up the bill. and he likes the people he works for. so maybe in about a year he will find a job that should pay about 15-20/hr.

my wife is a nurse here in Hawaii she makes $45/hr.
but we pay $2900. for rent on a 1500sqft, with a 450sqft garage. and cost of living is just high!