PDA

View Full Version : Which roll bar for sec gen camaro?

badazz81z28
12-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I a lot of people fab them from scratch, but looking for a kit. I was looking at DSE but some say keep looking. thoughts?

5spd540
12-23-2013, 03:36 PM
I would build my own if I was you

sgernon
12-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I have an Autopower bar in my car. It's a nice bolt in bar that fit without issue. I'm about to mini tub my car and make it a little more of a track vs street car so I'm now considering having a custom weld in cage built. Figure out what your plans are for the car and that will help you decide. When I first got mine I was interested in street with a little autocross. Now I'm really liking track days and want to step up the safety factor.

chevelletiger
12-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Build it rob.you could buy a pre bent main hoop cut the legs to length,to fit with the plates that weld to the floor.get rear strut bars from chris alston cw and fishmouth the notches with a 4"Grinder and weld it up.you need to buy a welder my friend,look on cl theres really good deals rght now.
Phil

Schwartz Performance
12-24-2013, 05:21 AM
I'll second the auto power.. Very nicely priced. Otherwise if you can afford it, TigerCage!

-Dale

Jim Nilsen
12-24-2013, 07:03 AM
I have an Alston roll cage which meets you in the middle. You get a cage that is bent exact to work and has extra length on the ends so you can fit it in the way you like. It worked out well for me and it was my 1st cage. This allows you to make sure you get your hoop in the right place for your seating arrangement. Remember to have your seats ,steering wheel ,helmet on and pedal setup in and the place you are going to sit is correct and then put the hoop in where it belongs.

Bending your own will cost you more in the long run. The price you will pay for tubing is more than offset than what a bigger buyer can get and the price to buy the correct steel with labor included was about the same and all I had to do was go pick it up.

Talk to Mike Ruth and discuss what you want to make sure you get what you want for what your REAL needs are.

Get a 2" hoop if you can. It makes welding and fitting the other tubing to the hoop a lot easier and if you or someone ever decides to go to sanctioned mile racing or Bonneville you will need a 2" hoop more than likely and it will already be there; and it only adds 3 to 5 lbs more and well worth it!!!

Have Fun!!!!

struck by Lightning
12-24-2013, 09:10 AM
I purchased / installed a S&W kit years ago in my Firebird and it was a good value. http://www.swracecars.com/

mpozzi
12-24-2013, 09:54 AM
I've got the RideTech Tiger Cage in my second-gen and while it is pricey compared to other pre-fab four-points out there, it fits and is made of excellent quality (stainless tubing and connection bracketry). Two or three guys with a good set of hand tools and skills can knock this install out in a weekend.

I know Bret was seeking certification from several racing sanctioning bodies but for what we do with our cars, this cage should be plenty safe. What I particularly like is the structural support and protection along the inside of the doors (I've got the front bars making my Cage a six-point). Getting in and out of the car isn't difficult and even when wearing something skimpy and a skirt, I'm pretty "safe." You guys shouldn't have to factor that in as criteria but it's good to know for gf's and wives (and guys that got "skirted" at the last autocross).

http://www.ridetech.com/store/tigercage/ for more information.

Mary Pozzi

g-machine
12-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Merry Christmas to all!

Rob - did anybody give you a reason why there might be better choices than the DSE 4 point? That has been my choice and I intend to buy that in 2014. I hope to be able to pick it up at a show Detroit Speed will be attending (to save on shipping). I will install it myself.

:santa3:

LeighP
12-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Have a look at Pro-touring F-body's new cage set up.....just finished them and added to his website.

http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

SLO_Z28
12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Autopower for bolt and DSE for weld in. The DSE one fits very nice!

gflentge
12-31-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm with LeighP on the GEN II....

I've visited Dave at his shop (pro-touringf-body.com) and his bolt-in bar is a very nice setup with options for the basic 4-point and added cross bar, drag-style or road-style bars, and he showed me some of his tech ideas to improve the bar even more. Like it more since it is completely removable and you don't need to tear out the entire interior to install it.

Planning on one for my 78' Z, as I am already running his G-braces with cross strut connector brace and will be installing some of his upper control arms shortly.....

badazz81z28
12-31-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm with LeighP on the GEN II....

I've visited Dave at his shop (pro-touringf-body.com) and his bolt-in bar is a very nice setup with options for the basic 4-point and added cross bar, drag-style or road-style bars, and he showed me some of his tech ideas to improve the bar even more. Like it more since it is completely removable and you don't need to tear out the entire interior to install it.

Planning on one for my 78' Z, as I am already running his G-braces with cross strut connector brace and will be installing some of his upper control arms shortly.....

Worth a look for sure. How does it install? Where does it bolt down in the trunk?

gflentge
01-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Dave is making the bar for me now,

the rear legs of the 4-point attach to the rear package tray in existing bolt hole locations in the package tray. He showed me an option for an additional rear leg that connects to the underside of the package tray and extends rearward in the trunk to the top if the rear frame rails.

Nice option he has also is a set of subframe connectors that have a mounting plate inboard that align with the main hoop base plate bolt locations that sandwich the body and tie the main hoop to the subframe.

I hope to be installing the bar and connectors in the next few weeks. Will have to peel out my existing bolt-in Comp Engineering subframe connectors, of which I like very much.

badazz81z28
01-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Dave is making the bar for me now,

the rear legs of the 4-point attach to the rear package tray in existing bolt hole locations in the package tray. He showed me an option for an additional rear leg that connects to the underside of the package tray and extends rearward in the trunk to the top if the rear frame rails.

Nice option he has also is a set of subframe connectors that have a mounting plate inboard that align with the main hoop base plate bolt locations that sandwich the body and tie the main hoop to the subframe.

I hope to be installing the bar and connectors in the next few weeks. Will have to peel out my existing bolt-in Comp Engineering subframe connectors, of which I like very much.

I would like to see the completed install. Do you have mini-tubs? wi

tflyboy77
01-11-2014, 12:07 PM
I also agree with the PTFB roll bar. You can't beat that kind of craftsmanship for the price he charges. If it wasn't for the wife and kids riding in the car all the time, I would have one in my car ASAP.

gflentge
01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
No mini tubs. Stock wheel wells running a 70 nova 10- bolt which is same width as 1st gen Camaro.

When I get it in I will post pics.

Dave has some shots of his bar on his site. I understand that the TA in the pic is Dave's The front angle brackets shown on the bar Dave said were braces that he fabbed to stand the bar up. Check his pics out
Pro-touringf-body.com

riles
01-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Have a look at Pro-touring F-body's new cage set up.....just finished them and added to his website.

http://pro-touringf-body.com/chassis_components.html

Ditto!!! Can't say enough about Dave and the quality for the money can't be beat. And I'm a FORD guy. (Put his cage in a buddy's F-bodyT/A)

Carl @ Chassisworks
01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
We have a second-gen Camar here (well several of them really) that we're going to be using to prototype our next 'Exact-Fit' roll bar and cage. Currently we have the first-gen Camaro done and it's available in HREW Mild Steel, 4130, and DOM. Rear bar landing will options will include our rear frame for stock floors, the stock rear frame, the gStreet Chassis frame, and probably the DSE shock crossmember too. Should have them ready to ship this spring. No pics yet, I'll be posting some once it's ready.

In the meantime, our existing cage fits pretty darn well and there's always the option of doing a custom cage. It's only an extra $30 for custom bent cages. The worksheet and instructions can be downloaded here: http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_worksheets.html

Exact Fit info HERE (http://www.cachassisworks.com/Attachments/DataSheets/CamaroRollCage_DS_WEB.pdf)and you can see install pictures on our Facebook page HERE (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.377352909024336.59755550.360398240719803&type=3).

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

drktrrs
01-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Yep.....chassisworks

Got their 4130 chromoly cage for my first gen. Strong, light and fairly priced

Build-It-Break-It
01-22-2014, 02:49 AM
I went with the Chris Alston 8 point exact fit cage for my 68 Camaro. I made it a 10 point with subframe tied in and added a dash bar. The reason i went with there cage was the rear/forward bars. The were tucked tight to the interior , actually the entire cage is. I see your in SoCAL, I'm located in Colton 92324. I already installed my cage and your more then welcome to come look at it if your local? I have to admit tho the cage is pricey, if i had to do it again I honestly would of just went with a S&W Race cars scca cage for less money. At the time I was trying to keep the rear seats which I now could care less about.

Wardracing
01-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Build your own or have somebody experienced do it, it will be a lot nicer.