PDA

View Full Version : weekend racer build. 1970 lemans

70lemans400
12-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I want to start suping up my lemans but I can't decide on how to go about it. I need some ideas, it is going to need to handle well, have a high top speed and be drivable for every day use if I wanted.

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 11:27 AM
i also dont know alot about events or autocross around here i have heard about some things but im sure some people on here would know. i live in lewiston Idaho, want to be able to drive this car to the events/shows and participate and be able to make it home. ..new to building pro touring style car mainly have worked on pickups and new cars. thanks .Thomas.

warpedoak
12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Guess the ideas kinda depend on budget. What are the 2 motors in the last pic? (a BBC and a 400 SBC)? Is the Pontiac motor a 350 Poncho?

If I was starting over with this car I would finish tearing out the headliner, then put some lowering springs and better shocks on. Upgrade to a new wheel and tire setup and that will greatly improve things. Next I would put some lower rear gear (3.73 is what I like) and a posi in the rearend. Upgrade to better rear trailing arms. Also try and fix as many gasket leaks as I could along the way. Also looking at the picture I'm guessing the radiator puked out that nastly brown at some point so a new radiator and a coolant flush would be high on my list. If the original radiator is still in there it is likely heavily rotted on the inside. Then it probably needs a complete bushing kit.

Guess what I'm getting at is I would do a few things without having to change the drivetrain and paint and try to drive the heck out of it. Assuming the motor is in decent shape. Then as I built experience and I saw how the other top cars are doing things, I would start borrowing ideas from them.

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes the engines are (left) 402 bbc and 400 sbc the car has a 400 pontiac 2 barrel out of a 68 catilina, u coukd say I like 400 ci engines. I really haven't done much since I bought it the guy before me put the engine in. Good thing he was in his 50s or I would be scared.

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I plan on driving it as I go, your ideas are helpfull, u said bushings is that in the water pump? I put in a newer 4 core radiator I had laying around but the coolant is still brown what could cause the brown?

herewego
12-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Rust.

warpedoak
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM
By bushings I mean a polyurethane bushing kit that replaces all the rubber bushings on the control arms, and rear trailing arms. The brown is likely the motor needs flushed which means just run water through the cooling system till it clears out (remember to remove the thermostat). My old radiator used to have brown fluid, but that was before I had rebuilt the motor and the radiator was also rusted out on the inside according to the radiator repair shop.

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 06:13 PM
So far very little rust I need to pull the interior to really see the floor, trunk is perfect rockers are good as far as I see ,fenders are good just surface. The speaker pan behind the back seat and the rear window lower drip rail are the worsed ill get pics when I get home from work

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
How much performace do you gain from bolt on pontiac engine parts like intake, headers and carb. From 2 barrell and cast manifolds. Has anyone put things like this on and note the difference

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Here Is all the visable rust...

Nothingface5384
12-11-2013, 08:49 PM
I'll leave out shocks and springs but

front control arms..
uppers either Umis' new adjustables or SPC
lowers Control arms: SPC
Tall BJs
Front Muscle bar from Ridetech
Hotchkis frontend rebuild parts

Rear contraol arms
Detroit speed or Edelbrocks double adjustable upper w/ umi dual roto lowers
UMI lowering relocation brackets
UMI/Hotchkis/DSE control arm braces are the best out of the 3 different styles
REar swaybar eiither DSE, Spohn protour bar or Hellwig protour bar

Rearend either 71-72 8.5 10-bolt(build up..30 spline axle 3/16 retaining plates) out of cutlass/skylark with Detroit tru-trac and 3.23s(3.42 if going O/d trans) or currie 12bolt with ford ends..(have option for better diff i.e S-trac, Platinum track or Wave-trac)

70lemans400
12-11-2013, 08:56 PM
That's great info. Can these cars ever handle like camaros or novas with just bolt ons and lightining the crap out of it?

Nicks67GTO
12-12-2013, 02:42 AM
If you want pontiac engine/ performance info, head over to the Performance Years forums.....LOTS of good info from guys that build Pontiacs for a living.

warpedoak
12-12-2013, 07:39 AM
UMI has an awesome 1972 Lemans build on this forum. Should check it out.
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/95720-UMI-s-1972-Pontiac-LeMans-Restoration-and-Pro-Touring-Build?highlight=UMI+Lemans

70lemans400
12-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Awsome replies, both those are great info and idea makers, I guess now I just need to jump on it and start ordering new parts. Starting with disk brakes!

NOT A TA
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Awsome replies, both those are great info and idea makers, I guess now I just need to jump on it and start ordering new parts. Starting with disk brakes!

Make a plan within your budget, tools, and time. It's very easy to get in over your head with one of those 3 things and end up with a big pile of metal sitting in your garage. While some things like disc brakes are cool and a performance upgrade it may be more costly and involved than you might think.

I'd start with the basics. Build a good foundation to improve upon. Clean/inspect the frame and if it's good then paint it & install new body mounts. If it's got original ones they're junk no matter what they look like because the 40 year old rubber is dried out. You can decide whether solids, poly, or rubber will suite your goals. They're reasonably inexpensive and is something that has to be done if you're gonna build a decent car. While you're doing that you can search around and look at all the options you have for other performance upgrades.

70lemans400
12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
You are definately right that happened to me with a 69 k20 build I did, but a pickup is easier than a car I can already tell.

1965gp
12-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow- I never used to see 70 LeMans' anywhere, now there are several on this site. I've had mine for almost 40 years.

A pontiac 400 can be an easy build- ram air IV cam, performer rpm intake, factory big valve (2.11/1.77) heads, good BOP Quadrajet and headers should make it a lot more fun to drive and keep costs low. If the motor runs good (probably wasn't too abused being it is a 2bbl and came out of a big car) then I would bolt on some parts and see how she reacts. Putting 1000 into the motor will make it much more fun to drive. You can always go big block or LS later on in the build.

70lemans400
12-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Has anyone on here autocrossed there BOP a bodies I need some inspiration for my build. Things like beating camaros or other cars that are lighter in handleing races?

john31s
12-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Has anyone on here autocrossed there BOP a bodies I need some inspiration for my build. Things like beating camaros or other cars that are lighter in handleing races?

My 1970 Pontiac Lemans, I don't autocross it but it is getting there. PM me with any questions.

70lemans400
12-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I tore out the seat, headliner and piller cover things. I'm pritty happy that the floor is in great shape, the worsed spot is just a little surface rust

70lemans400
12-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Who makes the best race seat and harness for the best price. And has anyone built a custom sheet metal dash for there car because that's what I plan on doing

70lemans400
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Looks like I have a yc code engine with 428 ft ibs of torque and 290 hp stock