PDA

View Full Version : Track tip

David Pozzi
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
A buddy of mine ran his car at Laguna Seca yesterday, a funny thing happened that could have been serious.

His car puked oil on the exhaust while on the track, flames shot out from under the car from the burning oil mist! Luckily when he backed off, it went out.

The cause was the oil cap came off, it was on very tight but when he started the engine in the pits, the valve cover was jumping up near the filler cap! Further investigation found a snapped rocker stud, the pushrod was hitting the valve cover and flapping it up and down.

Lesson learned:
He was using 1.6 rockers on a Z/28 cam, edelbrock heads with their 7/16" studs. I suspect the 1.6 rockers are not adviseable on the Z/28 cam with an engine that can rev above 7600, the first thing that broke when he put the rockers on was a valve spring, now a stud snapped. I advised he get 7/16" ARP studs and I personally think he should either use 1.5 rockers on that cam or get a cam ground for 1.6 rockers and use the springs that are recomended for that combo.

Either way, carry a fire extinguisher in your car!
David

vanzuuk1
09-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I carry two , I figure if i need one than two is even better.

Dave, I am dying to see some pics of your red 69 camaro when its finished or in progress.

David Pozzi
09-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, the 69 is third on my list, the wife's 73 was first, which is done for now, my 67 is next, then the 69. It really wouldn't take much to get the 69 going, I have almost all the parts, Hmmmm.... :hmm:

Damn True
09-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, the 69 is third on my list, the wife's 73 was first, which is done for now, my 67 is next, then the 69. It really wouldn't take much to get the 69 going, I have almost all the parts, Hmmmm.... :hmm:

Do it Dave! Offering another set of hands if you need them.
It'll help inspire me, and I can learn a little in the process I'm sure.

Mean 69
09-08-2005, 04:21 AM
You know, a fire extinguisher is one of those things you usually don't think of..... Until you need it. Just make sure you bolt the mount down, the silly velcro that some mounts offer is useless.

Rick Dorion
09-08-2005, 05:46 AM
In a 'situation' I've been thinking that a fire extinguishing system would be best. I have one on my rollbar but it still takes time to release, open the hood, etc.