PDA

View Full Version : small active sub - disasembling/incorporating into console

Phil 68
12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
The tunes in my '68 Mustang are pretty mild - kickpanel speakers, a pair of 3x5s in custom enclosures (fastback), and a small Kenwood SW10 active subwoofer on the transmission hump between the seats.

Its time to build the new console, and this sub is, at best, awkward. It won't fit under the seats unfortunately.

The sub has a pair of 5x7s, one active, one passive. Hardly any enclosure space to speak of.

I'm considering taking it apart and building a small enclosure into the front of the console where it will extend under the dash. One speaker to the left side, one to the right.

Good idea? Bad idea? Once I start taking it apart its likely a one way street.

scott_fx
12-10-2013, 03:09 PM
i would suggest selling it and finding something you can get specs on. possibly a single 8" driver and a small amp. This way you can build the enclosure to the exact specs for the driver w/o guessing and you'd get a lot better quality sound as well.

if you wanted to re-engineer the enclosure you'll need to see what size cabinet it has. you can do this by filling the cavity with sand and then dumping out the sand into a square box. and figure out the displacement.

If i were you, i'd just scrap the back speakers all together. they really aren't helping you at all and are probably creating peaks and valleys in certain frequencies where the sound waves are smashing into one another.

i have a 12" (tc-9) from this manufacturer:
http://www.parts-express.com/tc-sounds-epic-8-dvc-subwoofer--293-657
and it is by far the best sounding sub (not necessarily the most bass mind you) i've ever run in my car. This one only requires .44 cu/ft of space so it's pretty tiny. Throw a decent amp at it, build a solid and sealed box to spec and you'll blow that kenwood unit out of the water. Set your gains and x-over correctly (on your kicks) and you'll have a great system.

maybe this amp:
http://soundstream.com/store/car-audio/amplifiers/picasso-nano/pn1-450d.html

tiny, inexpensive and should put out close to it's rated power.