PDA

View Full Version : Project idea

Ziegelsteinfaust
12-04-2013, 05:55 PM
I was at a pick a part a couple weekends ago with my cousin, and we were looking at the prospect of converting his 97 C1500 to 4x4. Along with upgrading it to the better parts from the factory.

Which got me thinking would it be a worth while upgrade for a pro-touring style truck. I know the 8.25 front can be built to handle enough hp to not grenade instantly, and there are awd transfer case available that would or could work. The only issue I seriously would have to address is using coil over's instead of torsion beams. If I do this I would run a blazer wheelbase truck, and re-body the frame with a older body of some kind. Hp goals would be rather low at around 500 as I want it easier to push hard. Heck maybe I would graft it to my beater C20 with the 3/4 ton suspension, and enjoy bigger brakes.

Is the 4x4's front suspension remotely ideal for such a swap or can it made easily enough to handle like the square bodies front. Such as re-locating the A-arm locations or pick ups.

I do not want to go through all the work, and have it wallow in corner because of improper geometry for handling. Which may of been better for off-roading.

snopro
12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
I dont think it would be worth it, making something all wheel drive gets lots of cool points but unless you are going to build it for big hp then the added weight wont be worth the little bit of added traction or the headache. But dont let me discourage you I would love to see it and see how it works

ArtosDracon
12-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AWD has very different handling characteristics and requirements than RWD and for autocross or small tracks, not nearly as advantageous as on a big fast track with either a lot or very hard corners. That said, go for it! Projects are more fun than grabbing something fast and waving your BSD sign around.

Munssey
12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Cons: Parasitic loss, weight, specialty performance parts for transfer case
Pros: unmistaken cool-factor and the communities support for keeping it going as long as you're having fun doing it!

Ziegelsteinfaust
12-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I will have to take a more in depth look at it when I go to the junk yard next time, and bring a tape measure.

My relative plan is to Z the frame for as much drop as possible, and then replace the torsion beams with coil overs for as much drop as I can get. I imagine I could use later model drop spindles, and adjust A-arm height to compensate if needed.

nickpro_c10
01-01-2014, 05:56 PM
A buddy out in AZ of my kicked around a similar idea... I guess there is some Baja Ttuck builder that swaps Audi S4 drivelines into there trucks. Sounds like a kick a** idea if you can stomach the cost.