PDA

View Full Version : Is this what we look like??

shmoov69
12-03-2013, 06:41 AM
DOOH!!:doh:

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/this-is-****ing-brilliant-and-scary-is-this-what-we-1464727669

Rod
12-03-2013, 11:31 AM
yes it is, during holiday parties here in the Bay Area I'm surrounded by Techno heads and the topic of work always comes around sooner or later, I often stop talking about cars and racing at parties because most listeners eyes just glaze over

mmosley
12-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I went to a rather dull party to celebrate one of the kids at my son's Tae Kwon Do school getting his black belt... as interesting as TKD can be, sitting around talking about it was not my idea of an evening. Food was good. I am an engineer, not a big people person, none of the others at the party gave me the impression of being technically oriented. Started talking with a guy who was a doctor, general practice, seemed fairly sharp. I started with the standard joke that they call it "practicing" medicine because no on has really figured it out and they are all still learning. Anyway, nice guy and all. I told him I wouldn't talk to him about medicine if he promised not to ask me work related questions. I asked what else he did... he said something about race cars, road courses, SCCA... No one bothered us in our little corner of the living room after that.

silvermonte
12-05-2013, 10:19 PM
pretty funny read and very true

19sixtynine
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Pretty funny follow up to this awesome story!

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/what-a-car-enthusiast-looks-like-the-followup-1477128694/1477452173/@320b

snappytravis
12-06-2013, 05:50 PM
My wife is a Pharmacist, I get drug to those yuppy Christmas partys, I always pray there will be some gearhead there. Man I hope we don't sound that bad, lol
That is a good story.

silvermonte
12-06-2013, 08:43 PM
That follow up is awesome.

Gratefuldiver
12-07-2013, 06:22 AM
I often feel like the black sheep when standing among other parents at one of my kids sporting events. They are all over the top jock dads talking about stuff I could care less about. I find myself just waiting for the opportunity to talk about my car or hobby but it never comes lol. Ive even drove my car to the baseball games only to find other people don't even notice the car much less comment about it.

I think the worst thing that ever happened was when I got the car back from paint (no windows, engine, seats, and junk wheels) and was starting the assembly process. The tree hugging neighbor comes over and says you know they have that cash for clunkers deal going on for a few more days. You could get a nice new electric car. I just looked at the dude much like "Steve" looked at the dude when he asked about the washing machine

On the bright side the kids do think its cool when I pick them up in front of the High School with the car. So maybe there is still hope