PDA

View Full Version : Checking In - '66 Mustang Fastback Build

manOwar
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey Guys,

Been looking around the site for a while so I thought I'd check in as I'm starting my new build.

I'm starting a '66 Mustang Fastback build. After searching nearly a year, I came across this '66 FB. It's been sitting in the back corner of a shop since 2000. The body has a few dings and dents but it's solid!

It currently has Rod & Custom MII front suspension and stock rear but I've already picked up FAB 9 housing and once I get the measurements for the rear end, an AME 4 bar clip will be ordered.

For the wheels, I have some True Forged Super Sports ordered. 18 x 8 and 18 x 12 with an 8" lip.

Now for the best part! I came across a Roush Yates 358ci... The price was so good, I could not pass it up, even if I have put a new cam and intake on it. Acorrding to the guy I got it from (who also works for Roush Yates and put this engine together), it can be driven on the street now but it will be a little wild!!! And Thirsty!! This is the Nationwide engine so it has the roller lifters, it should do OK in the lower RPM's I hope... Not sure of the HP as it has not been on a dyno since it was freshend up. Should be in the 750 range!!

Anyway, it's a start!!

kencobra
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Looks like it is going to be a cool project.I am also building a '66 but it is a coupe i have owned for 30 years. Mine also has the R&C Mustang ll front susp. and will be going with a narrowed Currie for the rear. What kind of work has been done to the rear to get 12's under the back. I have mini tubbed mine and narrowed the frame rails but don't think I can get a 12. we did test fit a 10.5" with 315/35's off my Cobra and it worked but a little close

manOwar
12-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Looks like it is going to be a cool project.I am also building a '66 but it is a coupe i have owned for 30 years. Mine also has the R&C Mustang ll front susp. and will be going with a narrowed Currie for the rear. What kind of work has been done to the rear to get 12's under the back. I have mini tubbed mine and narrowed the frame rails but don't think I can get a 12. we did test fit a 10.5" with 315/35's off my Cobra and it worked but a little close
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to getting this one done.

To fit the 12's, it will get a narrowed 4 Bar frame kit that'll replace the factory frame. Check out page 34 AME's catalog, they'll build it to your spec. AME has several different options but they recommended the 4 bar for what I'm doing.

rustomatic
12-02-2013, 07:22 PM
With that motor, you should have no problem creating quite lengthy elevenses with your 12s...

BMR Sales
12-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Nice looking Project, Welcome!

T.C.

Heleanor
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Welcome from the great white north!! Another 66 pro touring in the works
Regards
Mark

manOwar
12-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Welcome from the great white north!! Another 66 pro touring in the works
Regards
Mark

Thanks Mark, it's funny you say that! I've been working in NE Alberta for the last 2 years. This time of the year, it makes it hard to leave home from Florida!! Beautiful country but dang it's cold!!!

outrgus
12-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Welcome, alway good to get another mustang guy.
68 fastback from alberta

manOwar
12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Welcome, alway good to get another mustang guy.
68 fastback from alberta

That's a good looking 68!! I work up here in Alberta.... It's got be hard parking your car for 6 months a year! I would go nuts, 5 weeks without driving one of mine about kills me!

Heleanor
12-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Well, you are not alone in the cold. I spoke with a friend tonight that lives just outside Calgary and they got a foot of snow today and it is -30 deg. There now!!